wasp nests while building

Aug. 21, 2013, 11:18 a.m.

15!! Ouch. I got 8 or 9 last fall , that was bad enough. Angriest creature alive…

Aug. 21, 2013, 7:04 p.m.

It seems the wasps are really bad this year.

First time for me I was stung in 12 years here and ran into a ground nest. I was stung about 5 times in the head "one on the eye lid" a few weeks back on Fromme.

Last week while at home around noon I hear this screaming behind my house as if a poor girl was being murdered. After like 3 seconds of that I ran up the trails to the screaming to find this poor girl completely overwhelmed by a ground wasp nest that her dog had got crazy.

I ran in and pulled her out and back to my house and she had at least 20+ bites on her. She was in total shock at the entire event.

Aug. 21, 2013, 8:18 p.m.

Discovered brake cleaner works like a charm, drops em before they know what happened. Just be careful where you spray it :mullet:

Aug. 21, 2013, 9:09 p.m.

can you suit up, dig them out, and relocate them?

OK since I wrote that I have had several run-ins with the bastards and now I say Raid them, bury them, whatever works. Just don't burn down the forest.

Anyone else finding houseflies bad this year too?

Aug. 22, 2013, 8:29 p.m.

27 Stings and counting so far this Summer. Pretty much on a mission to kill every wasp I see now. Have also found there are way more flies than usual, at least they don't cause nearly as much damage.

Aug. 23, 2013, 2:22 p.m.

It seems the wasps are really bad this year.

maybe due to the unusually long dry summer

on a more positive note, we watched a wasp in our tent slowly round up and eat all hte mosquitoes

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Aug. 25, 2013, 8:51 p.m.

27 Stings and counting so far this Summer. Pretty much on a mission to kill every wasp I see now. Have also found there are way more flies than usual, at least they don't cause nearly as much damage.

im up to 20 - gotta go for a romp in the woods to catch ya.

I'm ignoring Smedley.

Aug. 28, 2013, 8:57 p.m.

im up to 20 - gotta go for a romp in the woods to catch ya.

Haha, I would have absolutely no problem losing this contest!

Aug. 28, 2013, 9:09 p.m.

Go at night when they are all in the nest. There is a foaming wasp killer that shoots that same 20' raid does, but rather than a liquid it creates a foam that kills any that try to leave the nest.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Aug. 28, 2013, 9:13 p.m.

Did a ride on a trail tonight that I heard had a nasty wasp nest on it, but I didn't know where. I didn't get stung, but I remember smelling the wonderful odour of gasoline at one point in the trail.

Smelled like…………victory.

Aug. 29, 2013, 8:05 a.m.

[QUOTE=cerealkilla';2775225]Did a ride on a trail tonight that I heard had a nasty wasp nest on it, but I didn't know where. I didn't get stung, but I remember smelling the wonderful odour of gasoline at one point in the trail.

Smelled like…………victory.

musta been visited by ozibat

I'm ignoring Smedley.

Aug. 29, 2013, 4:54 p.m.

Go at night when they are all in the nest. There is a foaming wasp killer that shoots that same 20' raid does, but rather than a liquid it creates a foam that kills any that try to leave the nest.

I second this. Can't remember what it's called but it worked well. Quite enjoyed the revenge it exacted too…

Aug. 30, 2013, 5:17 p.m.

I also recommend the foaming stuff. I quite often get called out to fix flashings on houses. What the customer doesn't mention is that there is either bees or wasps living behind. I used to contract out an exterminator, before I discovered that crap.

Foam up the opening so they cant get out. Stick the straw on the nozzle, punch it through the foam, and fire away. A river of dead insects will ensue.

Sept. 5, 2013, 11:02 a.m.

Got tagged 5 times on severed yesterday, right where it turns downhill. One fucker stayed with me about a third of the way down too. So like dont stop up there eh

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Sept. 5, 2013, 11:27 a.m.

Rode a trail in the SLRD
Everytime on it I got nailed in the same spot. Even had a ride where the little yellowjacket asshole was hanging on to my leg hair, thought I was going to be able to brush him off, while riding. Didn't work.

Big smiles yesterday! Some animal dug out the wasp nest. Not sure if it was bear, raccoon or skunk. Now I can enter that section of trail without fear. Unless the bear, racoon, or skunk is really hungry.