wasp nests while building

Aug. 9, 2013, 5:21 p.m.

So after nearly an 8 year hiatus from building I've started scratching out a line again. I've run into a few huge wasp nests in the ground while cutting full-bench trail and now those sections are needing to be completed but I need to get rid of the wasps first.

The most logical solution would be to re-route the trail but unfortunately I'm pretty limited on any elevation gain/drop and the singletrack leading into/out of the wasp sections is already cut so that won't be happening. Second most logical solution is to just buy a couple cans of raid and have at er, but I'd really like to avoid dumping a few cans of poison into the ground like that.

Does anyone have any other solutions?

Oh, and damn does it feel good to be building trail again!

Aug. 9, 2013, 5:34 p.m.

home made flame thower.

have fun and try not to blow yourself up.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 9, 2013, 8:58 p.m.

Wait for them to die off in the fall?

Aug. 9, 2013, 10:16 p.m.

Wait for them to die off in the fall?

If u don't want to use fire or chems then this is the way to go.

They won't be back next year because they will all be dead so you should not have to worry.

Aug. 10, 2013, 8:18 a.m.

Kill 'em all.

Aug. 10, 2013, 12:18 p.m.

Weird that you worrry about using pesticides, but aren't conncerned about wiping out several colonies of wasps that are just doing their wasp thing and not bothering anyone. Just Raid the nests if you must kill them, or wait a few more weeks till they die out. Note that fire danger is Extreme most places right now, so the efffective and often fun flamethrower method is definately a no-no!

can you suit up, dig them out, and relocate them?

Aug. 10, 2013, 3:02 p.m.

…and relocate them?

For cereal?

Wasps are why I don't do trailwork from July to mid September. Lots of time for digging when it rains in the fall/winter/spring.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Aug. 11, 2013, 12:52 p.m.

For cereal?

not really. but then again, why not? if you can excavate around the nest and then pick most of it up in a shovelful. the wasps nests i am familiar with are above ground and not that big.

Aug. 11, 2013, 12:56 p.m.

not really. but then again, why not? if you can excavate around the nest and then pick most of it up in a shovelful. the wasps nests i am familiar with are above ground and not that big.

Lol I want video of this.

Pastor of Muppets

Aug. 11, 2013, 1:12 p.m.

explosives!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUrU32Ipcv0

Aug. 11, 2013, 4:47 p.m.

If you can find the entrance to their nest, bury it. That's all it takes. I did that on the schoolboys trail a few years back. And I used to get them under the shingles on my house. On the house I tried the poisons with very minimal success. But then I tried duct tape over the hole. Instant success. Remove the tape in a few weeks and its all good.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Aug. 11, 2013, 6:08 p.m.

if you can excavate around the nest and then pick most of it up in a shovelful.

you try it [HTML_REMOVED] report back.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Aug. 11, 2013, 8:18 p.m.

Aug. 11, 2013, 8:42 p.m.

I came home from squamish festival to discover a horde of wasps decided to take residence on my deck. I hit them with the raid "earth blend" stuff, which only seems to work when the spray is about 8 inches or less away from the bug. One thing I did successfully do is piss a lot of them off and kill a couple. Also pissed off my neighbour. It might be time to bring out the raid wasp killer, earth friendly is also not very effective.

Aug. 12, 2013, 6:07 a.m.

:lol: I will not be "relocating" the wasps anywhere.

I rerouted the trail around one of the smaller nests, but there are two huge ground nests the size of basketballs within 5 feet of each other which have been partially dug up by a bear, strength in numbers I guess but they are pissed right off, hundreds of the things flying around as soon as I get within 20 feet. Stepped right on the first nest before I noticed them…ouch, that hurt.

I think I'll have to wait until the fall when they die off to finish that section of trail or get a buddy to come up with a few cans of raid each and launch some kind of attack. Problem with nests that big is that if we don't get them in the first shot it's going to hurt, bad.