vandalism on Leppard

Nov. 1, 2015, 11 a.m.

I'm the original poster. The oed definition of vandalism is
'Action involving deliberate destruction of or damage to public or private property'. I think permanently damaging a piece of nature to avoid getting wet is a bit much. It's the shore. It rains. You get wet.
I like trail builders. I like trails. I have even worked on a few in my day. I guess we will have to agree to disagree when trail building crosses a line from working with the surroundings to permanently changing it due to the current flavour or whim of whoever holds the hammer.
I like Pete too. Doesn't mean I have to agree with everything he does.

this is a sensible post and i tend to agree that chiseling out the rock for drainage is a bit much. it's not like you stay perfectly dry and clean riding at this time of year.

sounds like the log ride had seen better days though and needed to be removed.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 1, 2015, 11:21 a.m.

+1 for spelling the trail name right

Touche.

Nov. 1, 2015, 3:33 p.m.

The log ride half way down on the right hand side has been chainsawed. This was a well built and solid little structure which when dry, was rideable in both directions. It was purely an optional structure as it was off to the side of the trail. Why anyone would destroy this is a mystery to me. I've met Peter many times over the years, he is a stand up fellow and I applaud his efforts, however I can't agree with the senseless destruction of existing trail features for no apparent gain. I personally found Leopard the way it was to be excellent as both a climber and descender. There are plenty of buffed out entry level trails already. If people want more then build more, just don't destroy existing trails to make them.

I think its clear what has to be done going forward.

Builders need to come on to the forum and put forward they're proposal for any work they do from the armchairs here. Upon getting the ok from every rider here they can only then proceed with the work.

Chainsmoker 8)

Nov. 1, 2015, 4:33 p.m.

ya but they will likely miss a forum or not have a long enough grace period….

It's pretty awesome how a guy can put in countless hours(in the thousands I'm guessing) tackling 10's of kilometers of trails and yet he makes one or two possible mistakes(I have no opinion on his work other than being extremely thankful) and he's called out on the internet to be…..actually not sure what you would call this outing…….if you have an opinion on his work that you feel so strongly about, track him down and try to have a nice conversion with him about your objections. To call the guy out for vandalism is fucking bullshit.

Nov. 1, 2015, 5:07 p.m.

No PMs received. The offer is still open. PM me to get Peter Morin's contact info and you can talk to him directly.

Why on God's Good Green Earth you think posting on the NSMB Forums will do any good I don't know why. Not to single you out Nanaman and Macaroo as there are many other people who have concerns about trailwork and vent on the forums. No-one reads these forums anymore.

A suggestion. Seek out the the builder. Offer your input. Be polite. They may ignore you. But there's a chance they'll listen to what you have to say.

Another suggestion. Getting all "Mark Wood", barking out peremptory orders, loudly declaiming what you want and second-guessing the builder without even contacting them rarely gets you anywhere. Again - not saying that neither Nanaman nor Macaroo are doing that but just trying to offer something constructive.

Again, PM me for Peter's contact info and call him directly.

Nov. 1, 2015, 5:28 p.m.

Why on God's Good Green Earth you think posting on the NSMB Forums will do any good I don't know why.

Sorry, but I just had to quote that…

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 1, 2015, 5:36 p.m.

Lol

Nov. 1, 2015, 5:37 p.m.

Lol. You obviously don't know Peter. He loves old school tech, janky log rides and the such. If he took that log ride out it was because it needed to go. I'm sure he misses it and has ridden it far more than most of us.

Peter also loves his rockhammer and I think that was actually a smart way to drain that puddle. But if you would like to ask him about it be prepared for a 45 minute talk about rockhammers, armoring and riding. He won't be upset that you asked; he'll just be stoked to tell you all about it!

Yeah and to echo what others have said. Peter is an amazing person and deserves to be treated with respect for all the things he has done for the community over the years. This post may have been a knee jerk reaction but nonetheless it smacks of poor taste and lack of consideration.

Matt Preston

Nov. 1, 2015, 9:30 p.m.

Post of the year! The only one that could possibly compete could be Lee's!

Nov. 2, 2015, 6:40 a.m.

Nice use of language and punctuation. Maybe this structure was out of your league, just like the natural rock feature. The original poster does make a valid point. The rock face has been jack hammered. No matter how you look at it this is not an appropriate thing to do to a natural rock structure; a rock face which has been ridden in both directions, for years. There are plenty of entry level trails you may find more suitable.

It's not a far stretch to assume that if a solid rock face has been obliterated, the same thing happened to a solid log ride.

You seem to be very unaware of the adult World we live in.

No PMs received. The offer is still open. PM me to get Peter Morin's contact info and you can talk to him directly.
Again, PM me for Peter's contact info and call him directly.

Cowards and complainers never take direct action, they'll just complain on the internet or bad mouth the builder to their friends. Actually getting involved? Good luck!

Nov. 2, 2015, 7:58 a.m.

Just wanted to thank Pete for doing the work that needed to be done and that most riders will never know was done. They didn,t crash on a rotted structure and rolled off the rockface onto solid ground and carry on down ripping a great trail. He sees things on a trail that are not even noticed by most riders and that those things can be addressed. He cares enough to put the time and energy into fixing things before they are issues. I commend him for his efforts.

jim leppard

Nov. 2, 2015, 8:21 a.m.

Thanks Pete. Super fun fiver on Halloween thanks to all your work.

On a side note here's a great read about the history of that line. Leep your quoted for posterity.

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=46185

Nov. 2, 2015, 8:48 a.m.

Builders have the say… don't like it, leave (please do) or build/maintain your own trail

:canada:

Nov. 2, 2015, 8:50 a.m.

Just wanted to thank Pete for doing the work that needed to be done and that most riders will never know was done. They didn,t crash on a rotted structure and rolled off the rockface onto solid ground and carry on down ripping a great trail. He sees things on a trail that are not even noticed by most riders and that those things can be addressed. He cares enough to put the time and energy into fixing things before they are issues. I commend him for his efforts.

jim leppard

Well said. I've been enjoying your trail for years Jim. Thanks for chiming in. I too applaud Peter and all the work he's done. I run into him often and have expressed some concerns about changing the course and style of the trail. I ran into him on Leppard mid September and we talked a bit about the trail work being done. I never imagined the log ride would be removed and I wish now I had said something.

Nov. 2, 2015, 8:56 a.m.

rotting structures have no place on the Shore. What Pete did was right. Maybe he will replace it or maybe you could?

:canada: