vandalism on Leppard

Oct. 31, 2015, 6:19 p.m.

Pete made a judgement call. I think we should be happy with that. He has been working on that trail, so he should know.

This.

Oct. 31, 2015, 6:32 p.m.

only had to give it one or two good kicks

Maybe you missed that part.

I sure as fuck don't want to ride a structure that only requires a kick or 2 to send its rotten carcass rolling down the hill.

I guess you missed the part about the chainsaw.

Oct. 31, 2015, 6:55 p.m.

perfect example of dumbing dwon the shoe:drool:

You know you went to far when even Tungsten thinks your a Jack Ass.

Oct. 31, 2015, 7:02 p.m.

I rode those trails a lot this summer and ran into Peter while he was riding and when he was working on the trails numerous times.

He told me that he was upgrading parts of the trails he looks after whenever he had the opportunity. That meant some stuff that was rotted out had to go and some other issues to be addressed like drainage in some places and flow in others.

The improvements on the trails are welcome. And these trails have seen material improvements. Leppard was very good, but can and will be better.

If a structure can't take a hit when wet, you don't want to be the guy having a bad day when it fails. It's bad for you and it's bad for users of the mountain.

The chainsaw helps to break down a structure more quickly and expediently to get it out of the way. The insinuation that this is vandalism is ridiculous. I trust Peters' judgement, a guy who rides what he builds and has been riding there for decades.

7th has never been better imo. I expect his current work to do the same along the chain.

Oct. 31, 2015, 7:03 p.m.

I guess you missed the part about the chainsaw.

Yeah. Hmmm
What don't you get. The guy does a ton of building and makes some serious decisions he kicks over a structure. Deems it unsafe, then saws it up so some idiot like you! Doesn't put it back up! Think about it. The one structure you can ride is taken out for the good of all. Wash Wah Wah. Get a life
Tired of people that bitch at builders for making decisions nobody want to.

Oct. 31, 2015, 7:52 p.m.

If it only took a couple kicks to completely knock a rotted structure over then who gives a shit if he chainsawed it / removed the rest of it afterwards?

Oct. 31, 2015, 8:47 p.m.

I'm the original poster. The oed definition of vandalism is
'Action involving deliberate destruction of or damage to public or private property'. I think permanently damaging a piece of nature to avoid getting wet is a bit much. It's the shore. It rains. You get wet.
I like trail builders. I like trails. I have even worked on a few in my day. I guess we will have to agree to disagree when trail building crosses a line from working with the surroundings to permanently changing it due to the current flavour or whim of whoever holds the hammer.
I like Pete too. Doesn't mean I have to agree with everything he does.

Nov. 1, 2015, 12:20 a.m.

Yeah. Hmmm
What don't you get. The guy does a ton of building and makes some serious decisions he kicks over a structure. Deems it unsafe, then saws it up so some idiot like you! Doesn't put it back up! Think about it. The one structure you can ride is taken out for the good of all. Wash Wah Wah. Get a life
Tired of people that bitch at builders for making decisions nobody want to.

Nice use of language and punctuation. Maybe this structure was out of your league, just like the natural rock feature. The original poster does make a valid point. The rock face has been jack hammered. No matter how you look at it this is not an appropriate thing to do to a natural rock structure; a rock face which has been ridden in both directions, for years. There are plenty of entry level trails you may find more suitable.

It's not a far stretch to assume that if a solid rock face has been obliterated, the same thing happened to a solid log ride.

Nov. 1, 2015, 6:26 a.m.

The point being.
This guy is doing the building and maintenance on a lot of these trails. His time and energy. He is obviously watching these structures and at some point they have to come down. Maybe it will be replaced. Who knows?
I don't know why the Rock is being blasted. Could be a runoff issue causing erosion.
Trails change people need to change with them. I've been riding long enough to accept that just because a trail was put in years ago, there is always room for improvement. Flow, gnar whatever. I'll ride it
If you really want to know, I would suggest contacting the builder and avoid complaining on the Internet. You'll get a direct answer that way.
Happy trails

Nov. 1, 2015, 8:29 a.m.

Builders choice. PM me if you want Peter's contact info. He's always happy to chat but be warned he'll talk your ear off

Nov. 1, 2015, 8:39 a.m.

+1 for spelling the trail name right

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Nov. 1, 2015, 9:02 a.m.

I'll take "Something to not get worked up over" for $400, Alec

Nov. 1, 2015, 9:51 a.m.

I clearly remember people bitching in about 2005 when he did a major rebuild of 7th. Those comments had about the same effect as these likely will: nothing.

But hey, if it makes you feel better to vent on here maybe no harm done.

Nov. 1, 2015, 10:02 a.m.

Nov. 1, 2015, 10:24 a.m.

I think permanently damaging a piece of nature to avoid getting wet is a bit much.

Are you not a great fan of modern life? Do you walk around naked? If you use transit, do you deliberately stand in the rain in protest against the mining that had to be done in order to create the bus shelter? Do you forgo living in a house / condo and just shelter under a tree?

:)

treezz
wow you are a ass