vandalism on Leppard

Oct. 30, 2015, 11:56 a.m.

I can't be positive but it looks like someone is actually physically bashing the crap out of the granite sections of trail on leppard (the best parts). Did someone actually mean to do this??

Oct. 30, 2015, 12:17 p.m.

I think Pete is trying to make it so the depression below the rock face doesn't become a giant puddle.

Oct. 30, 2015, 12:21 p.m.

I think Pete is trying to make it so the depression below the rock face doesn't become a giant puddle.

Yep. Looks like one tired and under appreciated vandal to me.

Oct. 30, 2015, 2:39 p.m.

[HTML_REMOVED]joke[HTML_REMOVED]Pete should just fill it with concrete[HTML_REMOVED]/joke[HTML_REMOVED]

Oct. 30, 2015, 2:56 p.m.

pete has been a machine up there. the right side has got some great flow going on - top to bottom. much appreciated!

Oct. 30, 2015, 6:39 p.m.

Old man Pete is kicking so much ass on that side of the mountain it's crazy. We all owe this man a great amount of respect. If he thinks a line should go or look a certain way, I believe he is extremely competent and can make those decisions without our input.
Thanks Pete!!! You da man

Oct. 30, 2015, 7:56 p.m.

The thing about Pete is that he is so underrated as a person. Couple, a few, years ago I was riding up Fromme and just happened to cross paths with him right before mountain highway ended and turned into gravel. We got talking and he casually mentioned that he did a little trail maintenance on 7th. I had only ridden 7th 10 years ago and he convinced me to ride it that day. I followed his advice and had both a climb and a ride to remember. So humble, yet so invested in the state of the shore that guy is. Lets make a statue.

Oct. 31, 2015, 9:53 a.m.

lol. Nice title. He should ask me I know a few tricks on getting rid of rock. What he needs is a diamond blade saw and then score the rock and then attack it with a sledge hammer. I think explosives probably would be over kill ;)

Oct. 31, 2015, 11:25 a.m.

The log ride half way down on the right hand side has been chainsawed. This was a well built and solid little structure which when dry, was rideable in both directions. It was purely an optional structure as it was off to the side of the trail. Why anyone would destroy this is a mystery to me. I've met Peter many times over the years, he is a stand up fellow and I applaud his efforts, however I can't agree with the senseless destruction of existing trail features for no apparent gain. I personally found Leopard the way it was to be excellent as both a climber and descender. There are plenty of buffed out entry level trails already. If people want more then build more, just don't destroy existing trails to make them.

Oct. 31, 2015, 11:31 a.m.

The log ride half way down on the right hand side has been chainsawed. This was a well built and solid little structure which when dry

and what about when it was wet? This is one we recently pulled off Pangor. If the logride you're talking about has been there for more than 10 years, it was likely in the same condition.

Oct. 31, 2015, 12:31 p.m.

The log ride half way down on the right hand side has been chainsawed. This was a well built and solid little structure which when dry, was rideable in both directions. It was purely an optional structure as it was off to the side of the trail. Why anyone would destroy this is a mystery to me. I've met Peter many times over the years, he is a stand up fellow and I applaud his efforts, however I can't agree with the senseless destruction of existing trail features for no apparent gain. I personally found Leopard the way it was to be excellent as both a climber and descender. There are plenty of buffed out entry level trails already. If people want more then build more, just don't destroy existing trails to make them.

Pete stops in to work every couple weeks and we chat about the trailwork he does.

He told me that when he pulled that log ride out he only had to give it one or two good kicks and the whole thing just fell over and rolled down the hill. He told me he looked at it and it was very rotten.

I trust his opinion of safety.

Oct. 31, 2015, 3:32 p.m.

The log was solid enough to ride and was ridden successfully by many over the summer. I don't buy the safety thing. Yes it was slippery when wet; isn't that par for the course on the shore? It was very much optional and just like any trail you make judgment calls based on conditions. I found it impossible to climb wet but still just ridable down, and much less challenging dry. The whole point of mountain biking is to be challenged both mentally and physically. While the original poster may have sounded a bit alarmist in his reference to vandalism, I tend to agree with his or her view over the destruction of the log ride.

Oct. 31, 2015, 3:46 p.m.

The log was solid enough to ride and was ridden successfully by many over the summer. I don't buy the safety thing. Yes it was slippery when wet; isn't that par for the course on the shore? It was very much optional and just like any trail you make judgment calls based on conditions. I found it impossible to climb wet but still just ridable down, and much less challenging dry. The whole point of mountain biking is to be challenged both mentally and physically. While the original poster may have sounded a bit alarmist in his reference to vandalism, I tend to agree with his or her view over the destruction of the log ride.

So you stopped and checked out the structural integrity of the log and its supports and trust your opinion over one of the most experienced trail builders in the history of the sport? Just asking…

Oct. 31, 2015, 5:17 p.m.

Pete made a judgement call. I think we should be happy with that. He has been working on that trail, so he should know.

Thread killer

Oct. 31, 2015, 5:39 p.m.

only had to give it one or two good kicks

Maybe you missed that part.

I sure as fuck don't want to ride a structure that only requires a kick or 2 to send its rotten carcass rolling down the hill.