UV's Comox Valley Trail Log

April 21, 2005, 7:48 p.m.

Yup…

It won't wash out until next year (maybe). The chances of it washing are pretty slim too. The water doesn't get high there, and there is little current. One days work to access one of the best trails here. See my point?

no not really. i still cant get my head around building something that you know will erode, and wash out a crutial structure, like a tranny. the water doesnt go high? rain will erode it just as quickly

yeah bro!!

April 21, 2005, 7:58 p.m.

no not really. i still cant get my head around building something that you know will erode, and wash out a crutial structure, like a tranny. the water doesnt go high? rain will erode it just as quickly

If you can't understand thats your problem I guess.

Rain? Yea the stunts on the shore sure are eroding fast with all that 'rain' they get.

edit: maybe you aren't understanding the way its constructed due to the photo…the landing is a frame, not leaning on the band…it will be in water for about 1 month of the year…it won't wash away because the water there is only about a foot high for that period and doesn't move fast in this area.

Lastly, this is the ONLY rideable way down to this creek…after 4 hours of hiking I can promise you this….so…its either this or you don't ride the trail at all.

April 21, 2005, 8:29 p.m.

If you can't understand thats your problem I guess.

Rain? Yea the stunts on the shore sure are eroding fast with all that 'rain' they get.

edit: maybe you aren't understanding the way its constructed due to the photo…the landing is a frame, not leaning on the band…it will be in water for about 1 month of the year…it won't wash away because the water there is only about a foot high for that period and doesn't move fast in this area.

Lastly, this is the ONLY rideable way down to this creek…after 4 hours of hiking I can promise you this….so…its either this or you don't ride the trail at all.

seems like theres a anger to that post. what i see is if you extended the strings longer so they werent so close to the edge, there wouldnt be a "possible" problem. its hard to compare your building to the building on the shore. its 2 completely different styles. shore is overbuilt for a reason.

sorry if it seems like i was unimpressed with your trail, i'm sure it will be a fun one. i never once in my posts bad mouthed it or put it down. i was just trying to understand something that i saw in your picture. sorry if i offended you

yeah bro!!

April 21, 2005, 8:35 p.m.

seems like theres a anger to that post. what i see is if you extended the strings longer so they werent so close to the edge, there wouldnt be a "possible" problem. its hard to compare your building to the building on the shore. its 2 completely different styles. shore is overbuilt for a reason.

sorry if it seems like i was unimpressed with your trail, i'm sure it will be a fun one. i never once in my posts bad mouthed it or put it down. i was just trying to understand something that i saw in your picture. sorry if i offended you

Longer? Close to what edge? Shore vs here is the same 'rain' forest so its not that different. My slats are thicker than most of the shore stunts. Its well overbuilt. Thanks for insulting my hard work though. It's much appreciated.

April 21, 2005, 8:43 p.m.

This help?

April 21, 2005, 8:50 p.m.

Longer? Close to what edge? Shore vs here is the same 'rain' forest so its not that different. My slats are thicker than most of the shore stunts. Its well overbuilt. Thanks for insulting my hard work though. It's much appreciated.

whoa whoa, never insulted your work. what i ment by longer strings, is that from the pictre, the end of the stringer looks very close to the edge. if you had made the tranny with longer stringers, the bottoms wouldnt have been closer to the edge, so "IF" the edge eroded away, the stringer would still be safe.

dude i'm not looking for a fight

yeah bro!!

April 21, 2005, 8:51 p.m.

This help?

yes, that helps alot. this picture shows hows its set up. sorry if i came off as a douche

yeah bro!!

April 21, 2005, 8:54 p.m.

yes, that helps alot. this picture shows hows its set up. sorry if i came off as a douche

No problem man. What you have to understand is in this situation, you have to cross a pretty big creek to get to the trail. The creek is only uncrossable for a short period of the year. I figured a nice gap down to the creek bed beats the ladders, ropes and crossing a VERY dangerous log jam. The trail is well work a stunt that 'might' have some damage done to it.

April 21, 2005, 8:55 p.m.

If you go back and read this one - you're kinda assuming a lot of stuff - for those of us from the valley, this quietly ridden trail just got better from a day of work by one helpful soul.

IF you haven't seen the trail, then just look at it think "interesting" and head on..

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

April 21, 2005, 8:56 p.m.

That last pic helps me:lol:
Your original pic had me wondering what the angle was, it looked level (upper bridge end lined up with the tranny top)…and so it is. Cool:cool: So you kinda bunny hop it across??

April 21, 2005, 9:14 p.m.

That last pic helps me:lol:
Your original pic had me wondering what the angle was, it looked level (upper bridge end lined up with the tranny top)…and so it is. Cool:cool: So you kinda bunny hop it across??

Yes. The upper bridge is actually a little higher now than in the last pic. Its super smooth.

April 21, 2005, 9:41 p.m.

Its super smooth.

Ya, looks like it couldn't be anything less than that:cool:

April 24, 2005, 4:43 p.m.

Current skybridge we have going here. My buddy Jay and I went out today and put up the 2nd section. One more section to go, then a dop off the end.

April 24, 2005, 4:58 p.m.

looks good darren. the one thing i'd do is cut down the width of those rungs a little bit so they don't get torqued off the stringer. it would increase the fun factor by havng it skinnier too. mind you, if the trail isn't gonna get a lot of traffic you probabaly don't have to worry about it.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 24, 2005, 5:02 p.m.

looks good darren. the one thing i'd do is cut down the width of those rungs a little bit so they don't get torqued off the stringer. it would increase the fun factor by havng it skinnier too. mind you, if the trail isn't gonna get a lot of traffic you probabaly don't have to worry about it.

Trust me when I saw those rungs are never coming off. They are inset in the log, compression fit, and secured with 5 inch spiral nails. Every one was checked with my own weight. Its solid, trust me :)