used chainsaw

Oct. 15, 2009, 7:08 p.m.

thanks for the rant J. I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way.

I still refuse to use a chainsaw in the backcountry (which is what even the local mountains are when you're spurting blood). High quality handsaws for me - they pack light, cut well and you'll just get a couple little punctures if you really screw up.

[HTML_REMOVED]PSA[HTML_REMOVED] Speaking of the local mountains (if you're in NV) - the landowners don't permit chainsaw use unless you've got a permit (email [email protected] for help getting a permit). And building new trails is also not permitted (did you see the Groovula thread?). [HTML_REMOVED]PSA over[HTML_REMOVED].

Oct. 15, 2009, 10:37 p.m.

it is not on any of those mt but that is all I will say as I do not want my trail torn down. synchro I would love to come out and learn some things. I will have to wait till I get my own saw so you can show me. Enless you are going to just show me with your saw. But whatever works for you. Thanks everyone for the help

Builder of Little Bastard

Oct. 16, 2009, 10:35 a.m.

The only time I used a saw was for the brief period I worked at Carmanah. (The place I worked at after I stoped working with you Heckler) They had a lot behind the Lab where I used to work and I would have to climb onto the piles of logs and buck up sections to be flaked in a Lab Disk Flaker/Ring Strander. Carmanah is located in the middle of the city, it's a big company with an actual First aid room and trained first aid people and STILL I would get a bit sketched out. Not at first, but when you start making hundreds of cut's you see what can happen (kickback, wood popping up, loads shifting). People new to operating a chainsaw are never scared of using them, it's the guys who've used them for a long time that are freaked out a bit.

As for handsaws those things can be dangerous even. I can't remember the guys name, but one of the NSMBA guy's who was working with me on the CBC trail day was telling me about how he'd recently cut his hand open with one of those. I think he said it took about 15 stiches to close him up. So ya, I guess if you're working with anything sharp always remember to bring your first aid kit (and also take a first aid course).

alright!!!

Oct. 16, 2009, 11:27 a.m.

Hey, I have two saws for sale:

Stihl MS190 C- '08, super light little saw. This is one of the most popular "building saws" right now due to it's weight, quiet, fuel economy. 14" bar, 3 chains. I rotate chains, whenever they get dull to keep it cutting straight and not over work the saw. Looking for $200.

Husqvarna 455 Rancher
08. 20" bar, 2 chains. Used this as a bucking saw, minimal use. Looking for $250.

I am in Bellingham, about an hour from Van.

I don't have a passport can you cross the border?

Oct. 16, 2009, 12:09 p.m.

Get trained not only on how to use the saw safely, but also how to maintain it. It will save you tons of $$$ in the long run if you know how to sharpen the chain, clean air filters, replace spark plugs, adjust bar, etc.

I took a 2 day course through work from a guy at BCIT who did a great job with safety as well as how to maintain the saw. I don't remember his name but I'm sure you could call BCIT and find out.

Oct. 16, 2009, 12:17 p.m.

Also very good advice, BCIT is where I did my training. I've seen people give up on work just because they've flooded a saw and they don't know how to get it started again. "I think the gas is bad? Ya, it's gotta be old gas". Also, sharpening a saw blade "So ya, do I file it what… Like 10 strokes per tooth?"

alright!!!

Oct. 16, 2009, 12:25 p.m.

You're right Wayne, not smart working in Shorts and cycling shoes to boot. I did have my helmet with my face and ear protection though. At least I will be able to hear and see the emergency crews when I hack into my leg. I am usually pretty careful with how I cut when I don't have my fallers pants. Those things really suck if you have to pedal or hike in them, no venting at all. If I am doing a larger job, I wear them all the time.

Oct. 16, 2009, 1:10 p.m.

Also, sharpening a saw blade

wat? :)

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Oct. 16, 2009, 1:16 p.m.

The only protection I use is the shield of invincibility only beer can provide.

Oct. 16, 2009, 2:39 p.m.

wat? :)

chain, my bad. Seriously though, I've found most people out there don't even know how to use a file right ie: both ways. Let alone how to sharpen a chain with one. I'm no expert, but I usually do more good than harm so I figure that's the right direction.

alright!!!

Oct. 16, 2009, 3:29 p.m.

chain, my bad. Seriously though, I've found most people out there don't even know how to use a file right ie: both ways. Let alone how to sharpen a chain with one. I'm no expert, but I usually do more good than harm so I figure that's the right direction.

both ways? dude that's so wrong.

chainsaw files are omnidirectional, the blades on the file only cut one way. they're only meant to be pushed from the back side of the tooth to the front side of the tooth.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 16, 2009, 3:42 p.m.

chainsaw files are omnidirectional, the blades on the file only cut one way. they're only meant to be pushed from the back side of the tooth to the front side of the tooth.

Shit, even I knew that!

Oct. 16, 2009, 5:13 p.m.

oh ya… To my knowledge all files are one way. But I've seen the same thing done when people were trying to cut stuff with a hacksaw too. "if I just drag it back harder it'll cut faster!!!"

I've seen alot of retarded things done with tools, and general construction, and machining, and plumbing, and hydraulics, and electrical.

alright!!!

Oct. 16, 2009, 5:52 p.m.

Wouldn't that be unidirectional?

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Oct. 16, 2009, 6:19 p.m.

Wouldn't that be unidirectional?

not in canada.

lol yeah - i don't know why i put omni

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer