Upper Dales rebuild

June 26, 2015, 12:19 p.m.

whats the climb like coming up from the bottom of dales to severed?

I mean, I know its a road, is it comparable to climbing from the powerlines to pingu?

June 26, 2015, 12:35 p.m.

I mean, I know its a road, is it comparable to climbing from the powerlines to pingu?

In a word, awful. Extremely steep and unforgiving. It may be worth pushing (riding?) up once to see if it's to your taste, but I would not recommend it.

June 26, 2015, 12:36 p.m.

34% grade, but now with some low vegetation on it, its 100% rideable even in the dry
steeper and more techy than the power line on the east side
I find it more fun and do it fairly often
start at near sea level and see if you can make it to Neds without stopping or putting a foot down (and with a little re-route on Mushroom and Incline you could get up to TNT non-stop)

June 26, 2015, 1:09 p.m.

going for it then!

similar in grade going from the bottom of neds up to FA?

June 26, 2015, 7:30 p.m.

going for it then!

similar in grade going from the bottom of neds up to FA?

the steepest section is longer but not as loose

June 26, 2015, 11:02 p.m.

34% grade, but now with some low vegetation on it, its 100% rideable even in the dry
steeper and more techy than the power line on the east side
I find it more fun and do it fairly often
start at near sea level and see if you can make it to Neds without stopping or putting a foot down (and with a little re-route on Mushroom and Incline you could get up to TNT non-stop)

I've done this too, but my challenge is to not get on the bike at all. I've been pretty successful.

treezz
wow you are a ass

July 3, 2015, 1:51 p.m.

So curious on status on the Dales 2.0. Rode up to the Dales connector entrance earlier this week and noticed the sign for the Upper Dales closure was down.

Rode down the Dales connector trail to the start of lower Dales and noticed the exit of the exit of the Upper Dales was all the way through. Walked part way up the new Dales flow trail but did not go all the way to the trail head.

Given the hot dry weather, I take it that the new Upper Dales is still closed??? I did see a number of tire tracks in the dirt on my way up / down the portion of the trail that I did walk.

What's up, will it be opened up and shredded to dust or held closed until we get some moisture?

July 3, 2015, 2:21 p.m.

What's up, will it be opened up and shredded to dust or held closed until we get some moisture?

My guess is that the whole forest shuts down before it's opened.
But if not, they should try and keep it closed until some rain falls.

July 3, 2015, 4:36 p.m.

I saw a video of someone roosting the berms on Facebook so I would hazard a guess that it's open. It looked like the berms were freshly watered.

July 4, 2015, 4:15 p.m.

it's open, rode it today.

July 5, 2015, 8 a.m.

It's open, and it's a really fun line, but I would really recommend giving it some time.

It is very loose and very dusty. We went down it yesterday and after unintentionally getting sideways in the first corner…I didn't have the heart to go fast on it as it was way too dusty and I didn't want to tear up anyones hard work.

We looked back up the trail after the new section and the woods were full of dust, super hazy from us riding it. All I could think was that was a whole bunch of peoples hard work kicked up in to the air and that felt pretty shitty :/ I'm not going back until we get some rain.

July 5, 2015, 10:52 p.m.

Pray for rain. Soon.

July 6, 2015, 9:09 a.m.

Pray for rain. Soon.

Maybe next Monday? (July 13th):
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/14-day-weather-trend/canada/british-columbia/north-vancouver

July 21, 2015, 11:56 a.m.

Rode the new upper Dale's on the weekend.

It is the most ridiculous thing - what's the point of a skateboard park that takes 45 seconds to ride dropped down basically in the middle of nowhere? Completely out of character with the area, ugly, too big/wide, a huge waste of money. Shaking my head on this one…

July 21, 2015, 12:16 p.m.

Rode the new upper Dale's on the weekend.

It is the most ridiculous thing - what's the point of a skateboard park that takes 45 seconds to ride dropped down basically in the middle of nowhere? Completely out of character with the area, ugly, too big/wide, a huge waste of money. Shaking my head on this one…

That trail is super fun and forces you to get into your cornering/bike park zone. Although it does spit you out in the middle of a technical trail, I see it as metro vans first foray into machine built trail. Obviously paddy Kaye knows how to build fun trail with a machine, I'm glad they hired the right person for the job. If they get positive reviews, maybe they will hire him to build more? Imagine an upper dales type trail that was built as an alternative to cbc. That would quickly become the most popular trail in North Vancouver.

Ps don't make this another tech vs flow thread.