Upper Dales rebuild

June 18, 2015, 7:30 a.m.

Rode past upper Dales tonight and had a look. Amazing. People are going to love it.
Did a full old school jam. CBC, TNT, NEDS. I think they should hire Paddy Kane to redo CBC too…BUT leave TNT alone. It's beautiful. Kind of a masterpiece. CBC is right fucked though and needs help.

Interesting about the work on Dales so far. Curious to know what's it look like? Won't have a chance to check it out until next week.

I didn't think CBC was that bad, yes, it's pretty rough right now, especially when riding a trail bike vs DH bike, but it definitely provides a challenge to get through it vs rolling through sculpted corners at every turn.

I think many are torn on this issue. The new school flow is certainly fun and learning to ride it faster and carry the momentum is another skill set to improve on, however, the old school trails like CBC, Dales, Bookwus and many others, have their own challenges to get through. Attempting to ride them smoother and creating flow is just another skill set. Different then the flow trails, perhaps harder to master but hopefully still relevant.

June 18, 2015, 8:32 a.m.

Rode past upper Dales tonight and had a look. Amazing. People are going to love it.
Did a full old school jam. CBC, TNT, NEDS. I think they should hire Paddy Kane to redo CBC too…BUT leave TNT alone. It's beautiful. Kind of a masterpiece. CBC is right fucked though and needs help.

You know what? People loved it just the way it was.

And what's with the lscr or whatever iits called these days,getting into the machine built trail business anyways? Is there any goddamn continuity in what these guys do?

Shut down aftertaste,yet send a hoe down Dales?

Unfuckingbelievable.

Pastor of Muppets

June 18, 2015, 11:02 a.m.

Not everybody loved it. Sure, it was a challenge and it felt good to clean it, but I won't miss that manky upper section at all. Looking forward to riding Dale's 2.0.

June 18, 2015, 11:19 a.m.

Not everybody loved it. Sure, it was a challenge and it felt good to clean it, but I won't miss that manky upper section at all. Looking forward to riding Dale's 2.0.

the complaint is not so much that upper section is being changed, but how that change will affect the entire trail. you won't have the "manky" upper section but now the first part of the trail won't match the second half at all. what do you think the next step will be?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 18, 2015, 11:39 a.m.

Yeah, Lower Dales is running great right now. It would be a shame to lose it.

A top to bottom shuttleable machine-built trail would be a good thing IMO. It would keep skidders off the steep stuff and would probably be hugely popular. But getting it at the expense of a well-maintained section of natural trail wouldn't be ideal. Maybe consider realigning Neds instead?

June 18, 2015, 11:45 a.m.

Maybe consider realigning Neds instead?

But then what would the people who enjoy riding CBC ride?

June 18, 2015, 12:07 p.m.

I dont care about any changes enough to the point that I get upset. I'm just stoked we all have a free place to ride our bikes and that someone cares enough to maintain the trails.

June 18, 2015, 12:15 p.m.

Yeah, Lower Dales is running great right now. It would be a shame to lose it.

A top to bottom shuttleable machine-built trail would be a good thing IMO. It would keep skidders off the steep stuff and would probably be hugely popular. But getting it at the expense of a well-maintained section of natural trail wouldn't be ideal. Maybe consider realigning Neds instead?

This. So much this.

June 18, 2015, 12:24 p.m.

Go to my profile. I just added some photos of the new work!

June 18, 2015, 12:39 p.m.

Those photos make it look like another Bobsled…..

June 18, 2015, 1 p.m.

no kidding. yikes!

June 18, 2015, 1:05 p.m.

no kidding. yikes!

A very smooooooooooth version of Bobsled. In comparison to Dales 2.0 Bobsled looks like a chunderfest.

June 18, 2015, 1:21 p.m.

Go to my profile. I just added some photos of the new work!

http://bb.nsmb.com/album.php?albumid=557

June 18, 2015, 1:33 p.m.

Looks like fun! This thread has so much negativity, upper Dales was always kind of awkward anyways.

June 18, 2015, 2:06 p.m.

Looks like fun! This thread has so much negativity, upper Dales was always kind of awkward anyways.

I don't think the issue is whether the reworked Dales will be fun or people being negative. Sure flow type pump trails are fun, however, not every trail needs to be a pump track.

Not certain on what you mean by awkward. Yes, perhaps a little slow and techy to get through it requiring a different style / skill to ride.

Having all the great trails we have is fantastic, keeping a wide range of variety on those trails makes it incredible.