Upper Dales rebuild

June 16, 2015, 8:53 a.m.

I am hoping that when the dust settles on the rebuilt top portion of Dales, it will still have some technical features that force riders to deal with them or even for those varied riders to get off the bike and walk the section only to try it again on another day.

By the looks of the new work so far, I doubt it, it is wide like Half Nelson with big berms at the top. Maybe it will be harder down where the cliff line comes in near the bottom, not sure what they'll do at the steeper section.

It will be interesting to see how much more traffic goes down the more difficult Lower Dales, because of a "Half Nelson" style entrance. It would seem to me, they are going to have to turn the whole of Dales into the same style trail, otherwise you are just driving "beginner" traffic into an "advanced" level trail, which doesn't seem like a good idea.

It's too bad, I liked Dales, I guess we'll see what happens.

June 16, 2015, 9:26 a.m.

From the Dale's trail day thread:

To provide feedback and share your comments directly with Metro Vancouver, email: [email protected] and cc: [email protected]

Cheers,
Penny

If anyone has strong feelings about the future of Dale's, it's probably a good idea to send LSCR a note.

June 16, 2015, 9:51 a.m.

Someone walked down Dale's when the machines weren't working, took pics and posted them to one of the FB groups of the trail work done so far.

If anyone knows which pics I'm thinking of, maybe share them here? (I can't access FB right now.)

June 16, 2015, 11 a.m.

Isn't it a fire hazard right now working with machines on the trails? I was wondering about that myself when I rode by Sunday and saw their time frame for the closure. I don't think there is any rain coming soon.

June 16, 2015, 11:06 a.m.

Weather Network says 70% POP for NV on Friday.
60% on Tuesday.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/canada/british-columbia/north-vancouver

June 16, 2015, 12:45 p.m.

Someone walked down Dale's when the machines weren't working, took pics and posted them to one of the FB groups of the trail work done so far.

If anyone knows which pics I'm thinking of, maybe share them here? (I can't access FB right now.)

What group Craig? I'll go find them.

June 16, 2015, 12:56 p.m.

What group Craig? I'll go find them.

Maybe Shore Corp?

Came up in my feed so I'm not sure.

Could also use the search on FB, sometimes it works to find stuff.

June 17, 2015, 9:19 a.m.

It will be interesting to see how much more traffic goes down the more difficult Lower Dales, because of a "Half Nelson" style entrance. It would seem to me, they are going to have to turn the whole of Dales into the same style trail, otherwise you are just driving "beginner" traffic into an "advanced" level trail, which doesn't seem like a good idea.

It's too bad, I liked Dales, I guess we'll see what happens.

Upper Dales has been easier since the first NSMB TAP day in 2011. People can still exit upper Dales back to Severed and take BP to Forever After if they don't want to ride lower Dales.

Perhaps people should email into the land owners to suggest this as an alternate easier route and keep lower Dales more challenging.

June 17, 2015, 9:34 a.m.

so is that the plan? rework upper dales, followed by lower dales?

thanks.

June 17, 2015, 9:41 a.m.

People can still exit upper Dales back to Severed and take BP to Forever After if they don't want to ride lower Dales.

I hadn't thought about that option, good point.

June 17, 2015, 9:44 a.m.

so is that the plan? rework upper dales, followed by lower dales?

thanks.

I don't know if it is "the plan", but that is why people are suggesting sending comments to the LSCR, "the plan" probably isn't set in stone at this point for the lower section.

June 17, 2015, 9:44 a.m.

Upper Dales has been easier since the first NSMB TAP day in 2011. People can still exit upper Dales back to Severed and take BP to Forever After if they don't want to ride lower Dales.

Perhaps people should email into the land owners to suggest this as an alternate easier route and keep lower Dales more challenging.

but that would require more work and pedaling; it's just easier to skid and braid your way down the rest of dale's.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 17, 2015, 11:16 a.m.

I don't know if it is "the plan", but that is why people are suggesting sending comments to the LSCR, "the plan" probably isn't set in stone at this point for the lower section.

Thanks

June 17, 2015, 2:11 p.m.

The majority of trails on LSCR land have gotten worse in recent years. They have "managed" to worsen:

Dales
Aftertaste
CBC
Lola
Dirty Diapers
Wills Way
Neds

Meanwhile, fantastic volunteer work is being done on CMHC and DNV land, like;

Severed Dick
Cuntbuster
Dirty Diapers
Pangor
Boogie
Bridal
Asian Adonis
Rapid Transit
RT Connector
Stick and Stones
Pingu
Salvation
Salamander
Academy Climb
Applicator
R[HTML_REMOVED]R Climb
Shorn Scrotum
Penny Lane
Slash
high School League
New Severed Entrance
Baden Powell
Greenland (on LSCR land but maintained by volunteers… who get hassled by LSCR)

And fantastic volunteer work was done on Dales as well… but now some of that will be paved over by LSCR. And the closing the iconic rock feature was LSCR. Apologies if I missed any trails, this is just off the top of my head.

Its great that the 'good' list is so much longer than the 'bad' list but its pretty pathetic that a well-funded govt agency with all kinds of resources can't match a motley crew of dedicated volunteers armed simply with shovels. Really pathetic. Makes me wonder if cooperating with inept land managers really has any advantages over building rogue trails.

Diarrheic explosion over

June 17, 2015, 10:49 p.m.

Rode past upper Dales tonight and had a look. Amazing. People are going to love it.
Did a full old school jam. CBC, TNT, NEDS. I think they should hire Paddy Kane to redo CBC too…BUT leave TNT alone. It's beautiful. Kind of a masterpiece. CBC is right fucked though and needs help.