trail + bridge building--post yer picts!

Dec. 15, 2014, 11:31 p.m.

What he means is lets see the calculations!

had to make a bunch of assumptions. but the objective was to have the rider be flatter on the take-off, less of a steep diving board like the previous version. land further back in the transition before the bank so that there is more time to make the left turn, also someone can go deeper if they choose and get more air time, still have time to make the bank with room to spare. i never got the measurements off of the old ramp in, so ran a couple examples. i went very conservative on the height of the new drop versus the old one, it's not 30 cm lower, but I assumed it was way shorter as a safe bet. also, in the numbers below did not calculate distance traveled down and laterally beyond the base of the drop, the landing was shaped between 35 and 40 deg, can't remember off the top of my head. somewhere in my pile of notes and scribbles.

assumed rider speed: 4 m/s

old drop: h=2.1 m

take-off angle: -20 deg.
horizontal distance: 2.0 m
t= 0.5 s

take-off angle: -15 deg.
horizontal distance: 2.2 m
t= 0.6 s

take-off angle: -10 deg.
horizontal distance: 2.3 m
t= 0.6 s

new drop: h=1.8 m

take-off angle: -8 deg.
t= 0.6 s

The current slope of the drop is -8 deg, and I remember the old ramp being steeper than the current one, so I figured it was something in the -10 to -15 deg range. I don't think it was as steep as -20 deg.

I was hoping to make the drop higher, but the real estate behind, i.e. the run in didn't really allow for it and I didn't want to build a climb up and down again like the previous version. anyway, it works. on to the next project.

"You know what's wrong with Vancouver? You can't pee off of your own balcony without getting in trouble"
- Phil Gordon

Dec. 16, 2014, 5:44 a.m.

yea quit trying to put words in his mouth….sven..! lol

nice work on that rebuild..

Dec. 16, 2014, 6:22 a.m.

Dkl gives me hope for the future!

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 16, 2014, 7:11 a.m.

And there you have it kids. Nerding up the Shore 101.

Dec. 16, 2014, 11:33 a.m.

That's beautiful!!!!

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Dec. 16, 2014, 6:03 p.m.

Dkl gives me hope for the future!

Me too! That is awesome work, dkl. I've seen dudes hit the old Piledriver [HTML_REMOVED] goddamn was that a hard impact. I thought the bike was gonna esplode.

Thread killer

Dec. 29, 2014, 10:08 a.m.

Thanks for the high quality work Dan :D I hit the 'driver a couple times yesterday and it's great; still a low speed manoeuvre if like me you don't want too much air time and still a respectable height, but super smooth thanks to the great landing.

Sustainable will be around forever.

Jan. 3, 2015, 3:44 p.m.

Another quick bridge build on Fat Tug in Pemby. Had to reroute a lower section due to the creek getting blocked up in the recent big rainstorms and destroying a section of old trail.

Jan. 4, 2015, 12:22 p.m.

^^^ Nice!

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

Feb. 16, 2015, 8:51 a.m.

anyone getting out to do some trail work in the new year? I need some motivation..

Very early spring in these parts, getting the itch to keep working on my project…just waiting for little more snow to melt off the road so I can get cracking again :)

Feb. 16, 2015, 8:56 a.m.

i got three days in the last 10 days. back to work tomo for a stretch. so building back off the menu..

Feb. 19, 2015, 7:09 p.m.

Earliest start to the season for me as well….4hr hike with the Daughter clearing branches/pruning that was a couple yrs overdue on this one awesome trail we have that deserves attention. At least one other guy is working the trail too, which was great to see! (bucked all the deadfall and raked/buffed a huge section before I could)
Trail is almost mint!

Feb. 19, 2015, 7:38 p.m.

Lots of work going on in Pemberton. We are working on the final sections of Fat Tug and working our way back up the trail fixing some problem areas. Stoked to be building and riding in February

March 7, 2015, 7:09 p.m.

not quite done but gettn there…

March 11, 2015, 6:51 p.m.

had to make a bunch of assumptions. but the objective was to have the rider be flatter on the take-off, less of a steep diving board like the previous version. land further back in the transition before the bank so that there is more time to make the left turn, also someone can go deeper if they choose and get more air time, still have time to make the bank with room to spare. i never got the measurements off of the old ramp in, so ran a couple examples. i went very conservative on the height of the new drop versus the old one, it's not 30 cm lower, but I assumed it was way shorter as a safe bet. also, in the numbers below did not calculate distance traveled down and laterally beyond the base of the drop, the landing was shaped between 35 and 40 deg, can't remember off the top of my head. somewhere in my pile of notes and scribbles.

assumed rider speed: 4 m/s

old drop: h=2.1 m

take-off angle: -20 deg.
horizontal distance: 2.0 m
t= 0.5 s

take-off angle: -15 deg.
t= 0.6 s

take-off angle: -10 deg.
horizontal distance: 2.3 m
t= 0.6 s

new drop: h=1.8 m

take-off angle: -8 deg.
t= 0.6 s

The current slope of the drop is -8 deg, and I remember the old ramp being steeper than the current one, so I figured it was something in the -10 to -15 deg range. I don't think it was as steep as -20 deg.

I was hoping to make the drop higher, but the real estate behind, i.e. the run in didn't really allow for it and I didn't want to build a climb up and down again like the previous version. anyway, it works. on to the next project.

The work you did on lower boogie man with the drop is awesome i hit it weekly now just a question if you are planning to redo that weird corked wood jump on the left as well ? I love that some drops and jumps are coming back on the shore and that one on the left would be cool with a flater take off and built up landing . Thanks for the hard work .