trail + bridge building--post yer picts!

Nov. 28, 2014, 12:22 p.m.

A year an inch air drying

holy fuk, this one slab will be 7 1/2 years to dry out.! it will be a few months before i get the greenhouse built and the tables installed but i will provide picts at that stage. the slabs look amazing actually..

Nov. 28, 2014, 11:51 p.m.

in the spirit of such….we are taking a stab at a trail building group…we have a facebook page etc…drop by if you like…

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunshine-Coast-Trailbuilding/829524323752536?hc_location=timeline

we are trying to get financing …social media style…lookn for likes..

I will gladly send my support your way D

Let me know how I can help and how much you looking for to become a supporting member. If anyone deserves my cash its you guys!

Would love to get a T-shirt or long sleeve shirt with that logo.

Nov. 29, 2014, 11:13 a.m.

so you air dry them then run an edge over a jointer/through a thickness planer to get everything square then go from there? Do you check with a moisture meter every so often through the drying stage to see where things are at or call it good from experience?

All the cabinetry and joinery apprenticeship I've done has focused on smaller pieces so pretty curious how these big milled boards move after drying..logically seems the same premises as working with small stuff should apply but obviously you have the hands on experience so this is valuable info. Thanks for sharing

I'd love to build me a big slab kitchen table, be a good excuse to buy a big f'ing saw and mill and go to town :)

Nov. 29, 2014, 3:43 p.m.

Moving a rather heavy boulder from the trail (Fat Tug, Pemberton) in the frigid temperatures today using comealong, straps and levers, and brute force.

Nov. 29, 2014, 7:42 p.m.

so you air dry them then run an edge over a jointer/through a thickness planer to get everything square then go from there? Do you check with a moisture meter every so often through the drying stage to see where things are at or call it good from experience?

All the cabinetry and joinery apprenticeship I've done has focused on smaller pieces so pretty curious how these big milled boards move after drying..logically seems the same premises as working with small stuff should apply but obviously you have the hands on experience so this is valuable info. Thanks for sharing

I'd love to build me a big slab kitchen table, be a good excuse to buy a big f'ing saw and mill and go to town :)

Dont have immediate access to a jointer anymore, theres other ways of getting a boards edge straight. I just re-mill a slab if it needs it after drying, no thickness planer wide enough. Yeah ive got a moisture meter, but as the slabs accumulate all off the sudden some are 3 years old so theyre good.

diggin

Nov. 29, 2014, 7:45 p.m.

Nov. 30, 2014, 9:58 p.m.

Moving a rather heavy boulder from the trail (Fat Tug, Pemberton) in the frigid temperatures]

How far did that bugga roll down the hill?

diggin

Nov. 30, 2014, 10:21 p.m.

How far did that bugga roll down the hill?

Disappointingly not far at all. There was a depression on the other side of the tree that it slid right into. Very anticlimactic after a couple of hours of rigging, re-setting and prying! But at least it is off the trail and the flow has increased greatly.

Dec. 6, 2014, 6:47 p.m.

Dec. 7, 2014, 10:06 a.m.

that doesn't look fun at all

Dec. 7, 2014, 10:24 a.m.

a few more berms and a wall ride to go then a couple rollers out…I'm slowly heading out the door to go give what we have done so far a tester ..all my gear on , bike on rack..i better have another tea first…

Dec. 7, 2014, 2:23 p.m.

but if you move rocks onto the trail for less erosion you can still have lots of flow.

Dec. 7, 2014, 2:27 p.m.

but if you move rocks onto the trail for less erosion you can still have lots of flow.

That. Looks. Fucking. Awesome.

Dec. 7, 2014, 3:05 p.m.

That. Looks. Fucking. Awesome.

thanks, if you get a chance to make it to eagle mtn and ride the trail take some current pics for me. not doing any trail building for 6 months on the trail i had been maintaining for 10 years is starting make me homesick.

Dec. 7, 2014, 3:14 p.m.

Disappointingly not far at all. There was a depression on the other side of the tree that it slid right into. Very anticlimactic after a couple of hours of rigging, re-setting and prying! But at least it is off the trail and the flow has increased greatly.

The terrorists have won.

Pastor of Muppets