trail + bridge building--post yer picts!

May 25, 2014, 6:49 p.m.

A brand new entrance.

May 25, 2014, 8:32 p.m.

did you figure out a way to stop the water from running off the road?

May 25, 2014, 9:40 p.m.

did you figure out a way to stop the water from running off the road?

Rode it this afternoon, the mound is much higher than the road level, so the water won't run down the trail. My concern would be the gravel crush going down the trail, but that is still better than the water.

I don't know what "trail building policy" there is for entrances, but I have always thought every trail should have a ditch/raised entrance to keep water off the start. 7th could really use this, dig a 6" deep ditch, pack the extra earth between that and the trail head, that way you have a 1 foot ditch/mound in front of the trail, it is clean looking and functional, plus it is super easy to maintain.

May 25, 2014, 9:58 p.m.

awesome, because that's what destroyed the entrance over the last few years.

May 25, 2014, 10:14 p.m.

Yellow Cedar. Such a pleasure to work with.

I know you're an arborist and all but you sure thats yellow? Ive split a shit tonne of red that looks like that, split yellow a few times and it was well yellow and was a pain in the ass to split compared to red.

diggin

May 26, 2014, 9:19 a.m.

I know you're an arborist and all but you sure thats yellow? Ive split a shit tonne of red that looks like that, split yellow a few times and it was well yellow and was a pain in the ass to split compared to red.

I know the picture does make it seem on the red spectrum of cedar. The main tree had that same finger like groves down its length nice and defined like the yellow has. The wood was a bugger to split also just like a yellow when the grain seems to want to stick together. Certainly not like the pop of a nice red when making rungs. Also the weight and density of it indicates yellow.

I would love to be incorrect as it would mean I have not seen all the different species of red.

May 26, 2014, 9:32 a.m.

Rode it this afternoon, the mound is much higher than the road level, so the water won't run down the trail. My concern would be the gravel crush going down the trail, but that is still better than the water.

I don't know what "trail building policy" there is for entrances, but I have always thought every trail should have a ditch/raised entrance to keep water off the start. 7th could really use this, dig a 6" deep ditch, pack the extra earth between that and the trail head, that way you have a 1 foot ditch/mound in front of the trail, it is clean looking and functional, plus it is super easy to maintain.

The whole entrance was brought up a good 3 feet. The rocks you see on the face are only just little bits of waste high boulders that we pulled into place with a winch. with the new front formed we then filled the bottom with larger rocks then the crush.

Our hope is the new entrance should not shed any gravel crush down onto the trail.

Almost everyone ridding past did stop and help fill the new entrance with the 3 loads of crush we had on hand.

May 26, 2014, 10:43 a.m.

i just planted about 40 cedar yday here at my place..a mix of red and yellow . they don't look anything alike when they are young.. on the hill they seem easy to differentiate as the yellows appear "droopy" beside a red..

May 26, 2014, 3:58 p.m.

you can tell yellow cedar by the distinct pungent smell. If it smells like cedar when splitting it, it's western red cedar,

:canada:

May 29, 2014, 10:58 a.m.

you can tell yellow cedar by the distinct pungent smell. If it smells like cedar when splitting it, it's western red cedar,

Yellow Cedar smells like potatoes. If I was a betting man I wouldn't hesitate to bet that those split rungs were red cedar.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

May 29, 2014, 11:07 a.m.

Perhaps age has something to do with the color.

The ring count would indicate it was stunted during its growth considering it was not an overly large diameter for its great age.

Also it looks like it has been laying for a long time given the growth around this tree.

May 29, 2014, 12:04 p.m.

My concern would be the gravel crush going down the trail, but that is still better than the water

No need to worry, it would probably do the trail bed some good. Also the previous builders dropped a shed load of crush on the top section of the trail a couple of years ago, up to the first bridge and a little beyond, if I recall correctly. You can hardly see it now, but it's probably helping to reduce wear and tear and it drains well.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

May 30, 2014, 9:46 a.m.

Perhaps my camera was also acting up on the lighting.

Here is another picture of the same wood with different camera.

May 30, 2014, 8:02 p.m.

i trust yer judgement man…if you say its yellow, its yellow.

June 1, 2014, 7:05 a.m.

Sometimes router work and drinking beer turns out kinda good. Trailhead sign to go up in the next couple of weeks. Trying to organize one more trail day to get it complete.