Tool storage in the woods.

Dec. 16, 2020, 8:02 a.m.

The wooden handles on my tools are getting pretty weathered being in the woods this winter. I am slowly going fiberglass so weather damage is a non issue. Until then I need the wood tools to last.

How do you store tools in the woods? I have done everything from just leave them in a salal bush, lean them against a tree, wrap them in a tarp, put them under a log. 

Dec. 17, 2020, 10:44 p.m.

The strategy I've dead fastly stuck to the past 20 years has been just to rebuy everything continually 🤷 

I did recently rediscover a cache that I stashed years ago in a (tool sized) cave that was in primo condition. Perhaps hunting down a rock overhang of some sort is the answer? I also like to paint everything camo I don't have to be as picky about hiding places.

Dec. 18, 2020, 10:57 a.m.

wrapping in garbage bags or tarps doesn't do much IMO, the moisture usually gets in during the winter around here, and if anything, will keep things damp longer so they can continue to mold?  if you're gonna use plastic i would actually try to keep it elevated above the tools so it provides a rain cover but won't trap in the moisture, if that makes sense.

but absolute best is fiberglass, ya.  not only should it last longer but you're less likely to snap a handle.  i don't get along with wooden mattock handles.

Dec. 18, 2020, 7:29 p.m.

If the handles aren't varnished (or the varnish has been worn or even sanded off), a week or so before you take them out in the woods, rub them down with boiled linseed oil, let them dry overnight, then rub them down again.

Be careful with linseed-soaked rags though, they can auto-ignite if left in a confined space.

Looks like you're hockey-taping your butts--tape probably isn't linseed compatible.

I've got such a sweet stash spot for my rock bar and wood-handled hoe right now.  This little dry pocket under this weird hemlock trunk that appears to have been blown over at some point but kept growing.  Hollow cedar logs have also provided great shelter for tools for me in the past.

Jan. 3, 2021, 12:21 p.m.

Fiberglass handles for sure. You can get mattocks with plastic-glassresin handles as well. I've had some stuff sitting out under a log for years and it's still good.