The North Fork will rise again!

March 26, 2012, 10:56 p.m.

is this the same place that has a video about it on pinkbike's vid of the year contest?

March 27, 2012, 8:14 a.m.

Sorry for your loss. I've ridden several of your trails (among others up there) and this is truly a tragic loss. My memories of riding there are quite possibly the best memories I have of mountain biking to date.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss and I hope you continue to build. You were called to do so. Thanks for the experience, the memories, and the sweet sweet trails.

March 27, 2012, 9:37 a.m.

is this the same place that has a video about it on pinkbike's vid of the year contest?

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=144981

March 27, 2012, 10:37 a.m.

I had heard some rumors about this yesterday and was really hoping it was just that.

Thad, thanks for all the work you put in at the fork! My riding buddies and I had some of our best rides up there. It will be greatly missed

March 27, 2012, 10:45 a.m.

Builders v. Loggers trail is on a different hill, miles away, in the middle of the sticks. Locked gate, trail is only half done. So pretty unrelated to our situation. Though they do come up and ride and help dig and vice versa.

March 27, 2012, 11:10 a.m.

I was able to get 1 day in last year at North Fork, It was the most fun I have had on a bike in a while, all the trails had great flow, and were built proper.
I thank you for all your hard work. I'm sorry to hear about this loss of an awesome trail system. Unfortunately certain groups of riders don't understand how sensitive some riding areas can be, and will show up with 4 cars full of 15 riders, once that riding area is shut down they just move on to the next one, and so on.

A trail is no longer secret after you tell just one person.

If a zone is as good as that one is, it is bound to be popular. build in a non shuttleable area and I will guarantee you wont have any more problems

Three people can keep a secret if two are dead
- Benjamin Franklin

March 28, 2012, 9:40 a.m.

Such a loss, I visited North Forks once (from Vancouver) and had a great time.I was really impressed with the quality of trails ect.

I understand you are emotional, but scapegoating one bike shop isn't the answer to vent your frustrations. The day I went there the dunbar truck was there, so was a large crew from Cove (with less ostentatious branding) and the Transition team had set up two tents (with their branded vehicle) and were doing testing runs on their new suspension. The branding on the Dunbar vehicle has got it in some hot water but threatening their vehicle vs any other party isn't rational.

I would suggest reaching out to those "17 year old shop rats" for support if you move into any next stages with the DNR. Also, it may beyond your scope of focus, but reach out to any local universities in Washington, economic evaluation of non-timber forest resources, in the form of tourism, is a thesis project waiting to be written.

Again, its good these forums exist for you to vent your warranted frustration, and share those masterpieces you have built. I just think that you're words, and the collective forum mentality, could harm some people that I know do their part for the mountain bike community.

I rarely post on forums because I find they can become avenues for people behind computer screens to unleash their inner d-bag, so I hope you'll take my criticisms as coming from a area of understanding for your anger, as well as a perhaps less positional view of the greater picture. Coming from Ontario (or Onterrible), I know what trail closures are like and how unfair it is, I hope that you will look at this as an opportunity to rally users in Washington AND British Columbia to encourage local government to form a legally designated trail system to increase tourism ect.

March 28, 2012, 9:52 a.m.

At first I feared this thread was about the brewery/pizzeria/wedding chapel closing. This is even worse.
That really sucks, completely senseless.
Secret trails aren't a problem, but the shuttlable ones don't last long.

North Fork Beer Shrine has some tasty stuff, and Hops on their property.

as per ususal, no shuttles, no problems…

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

March 28, 2012, 10:21 a.m.

WTC is starting to mobilize a media push and public awareness campaign. You will hear more on this soon.

http://www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/amp_rec_newsletter_031512.pdf

March 28, 2012, 12:12 p.m.

Beer shrine makes an excellent barleywine, world-class I'd say

March 28, 2012, 12:59 p.m.

Removing an extreme mountain bike course this March in, Whatcom
County. The unauthorized structures in the course pose a public safety
issue, and the extensive trail system is causing sediment delivery to
streams. Our budget for this project is $20,000, but we hope to reduce this
amount with volunteer help from the mountain biking community.

http://www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/amp_rec_newsletter_031512.pdf

So they want to remove it and get the mountain bikers to help wreck their own trails to reduce their costs? Without any discussion of how to mitigate any possible environmental issues (if they truly exist)? Or develop alternate trail? What a joke.

March 28, 2012, 1:18 p.m.

Such a loss, I visited North Forks once (from Vancouver) and had a great time.I was really impressed with the quality of trails ect.

I understand you are emotional, but scapegoating one bike shop isn't the answer to vent your frustrations. The day I went there the dunbar truck was there, so was a large crew from Cove (with less ostentatious branding) and the Transition team had set up two tents (with their branded vehicle) and were doing testing runs on their new suspension. The branding on the Dunbar vehicle has got it in some hot water but threatening their vehicle vs any other party isn't rational.

I would suggest reaching out to those "17 year old shop rats" for support if you move into any next stages with the DNR. Also, it may beyond your scope of focus, but reach out to any local universities in Washington, economic evaluation of non-timber forest resources, in the form of tourism, is a thesis project waiting to be written.

Again, its good these forums exist for you to vent your warranted frustration, and share those masterpieces you have built. I just think that you're words, and the collective forum mentality, could harm some people that I know do their part for the mountain bike community.

I rarely post on forums because I find they can become avenues for people behind computer screens to unleash their inner d-bag, so I hope you'll take my criticisms as coming from a area of understanding for your anger, as well as a perhaps less positional view of the greater picture. Coming from Ontario (or Onterrible), I know what trail closures are like and how unfair it is, I hope that you will look at this as an opportunity to rally users in Washington AND British Columbia to encourage local government to form a legally designated trail system to increase tourism ect.

really good post, buddy

March 28, 2012, 1:30 p.m.

So they want to remove it and get the mountain bikers to help wreck their own trails to reduce their costs? Without any discussion of how to mitigate any possible environmental issues (if they truly exist)? Or develop alternate trail? What a joke.

i chuckled too.. I suspect it means they want to work it out somehow..

if not, that's some funny shit.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

March 28, 2012, 4 p.m.

So "the extensive trail system is delivering sediment to the streams" but all the logging that has gone on and continues to go on isn't affecting the streams??

I'm surprised more environmentalists aren't freaking out about all the logging considering the huge Eagle population that lives or visits the North Fork River, basically at the base of the mountain!

March 28, 2012, 4 p.m.

i chuckled too.. I suspect it means they want to work it out somehow..

if not, that's some funny shit.

My guess is that the DNR want to evaluate whether the 'legitimate' mountain bike community will step up to the plate, and whether they [DNR] can work with the mountain boke community as a responsible 'partner'. It sounds like Thad and WTC are doing this/considering doing this already…