syncro's trail blog

Sept. 26, 2004, 7:33 p.m.

Originally posted by duke
**you should see the new rungs he has for his wall ride, they are like mini train ties..

how did synchro split such large ass rungs and whered he get such good wood? thas what I want to know. **

i've been lucky with having a lot of nice wood laying on the ground for the rungs. the area of seymour i am on is like a gold mine for materials.

tons of good wood, lots of rock, easy to find gold. i probably have enough materials to build 4 or 5 trails like the one i've got going.

the only problem is that i have been picky about what i use. if i don't like the looks of something i know i can just go get more.

edit

i've always said the hardest part of trail building is gathering your materials. the act of putting stuff together is relatively easy. 80% grunt work and only 20% glamour work.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 27, 2004, 8:59 a.m.

Originally posted by synchro
80% grunt work and only 20% glamour work.

This is for other builders reference.

For synchro it's: 60% grunt work, 10% glamour work, 30% talking about everything we wants to do

Sept. 27, 2004, 9:32 a.m.

Originally posted by Zedbra
**This is for other builders reference.

For synchro it's: 60% grunt work, 10% glamour work, 30% talking about everything we wants to do **

even if he only puts in 10 percent, it is more than 99 percent of people do for the sport.

Well, well I been movin' down to Florida.
And I'm gonna bowl me a perfect game.
Well I'm gonna cut off my leg down in Florida, child.
And I'm gonna dance one-legged off in the rain.

Sept. 27, 2004, 9:40 a.m.

Originally posted by putty
even if he only puts in 10 percent, it is more than 99 percent of people do for the sport.

True - but wasnt it you who said to leave the building to that 1% and others shouldn't help?

Sept. 27, 2004, 10:42 a.m.

yeah that yellow cedar makes makes my hands smell like cat pee:|

It's definatly alot better having that red cedar lying around

Sept. 27, 2004, 10:44 a.m.

**This is for other builders reference.

For synchro it's: 60% grunt work, 10% glamour work, 30% talking about everything we wants to do **

lol - good ol' smoke break

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 27, 2004, 10:48 a.m.

True - but wasnt it you who said to leave the building to that 1% and others shouldn't help?

yeah, but i am saying he has a right to slack off it he wants to for a bit, he's done enough.

that's all.

still love everybody.

Sept. 27, 2004, 10:52 a.m.

but putty, your love hurts…you know where. :eek:

Sept. 27, 2004, 10:54 a.m.

take the penicillin, you'll be fine, just like the rest of the people i "affected"

Sept. 27, 2004, 2:33 p.m.

Every time I see the topic of this thread, I don't think of something Mark built on a trail. More like something he did while working on a trail. :P

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 29, 2004, 11:55 p.m.

ok so a few new pics of the work i did on tue. the first two are related to the pics a few posts back of the stringers attached to the log ride. these are just the finished product. the first one looks down the log and the second one looks up.

looking down

looking up

the next three are of the pivot mechanism for the big teeter totter. it looks a little over built, but thats the way i like it. those cross beams are 5" x 7" beams - pretty burly. the actual pivot mechanism is from a converyor belt system and uses pivot block bearings, so it's going to be smooth and sturdy

the posts getting ready for the cross beams

close up of the pivot

the whole thing

this last one is an earlier picture of the teeter ladder resting on top of the supports so i can get a rough idea of how everything lines up. you will have to make two turns as the teeter drops down

Ellen Langer

Sept. 30, 2004, 12:06 a.m.

thats fukkin sweet. I saw that huge chunk of metal and was wondering what it was for..

Sept. 30, 2004, 12:11 a.m.

Wow! You use more cedar on one stunt than is used in a whole house. That stuff will last a couple generations. :thepimp:

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 30, 2004, 12:51 a.m.

looking good mark. serious that stuff is so burly ill bet the US could bomb Seymour and the only thing left standing would be your trail.

ps. if you need a hand again just let me know.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

Sept. 30, 2004, 6:19 a.m.

mark - its gorgeus work. honestly, i think the rungs are too close together. You need to space them out to help get mud off the tires so the ladder work won't be as slippery as putty's butt