syncro's trail blog

Sept. 10, 2004, 8:25 p.m.

ok, so i am stealing putty's idea and putting it here to keep track of stuff.

today was a cool day in the woods - lots of wind. i could totally hear it but didn't really notice how fiecre it was until i heard the trees start to groan. i looked up and the damn things are swaying back forth at least 20ft at the top. it was really cool to watch, the whole forest canopy swirling around. what was really neat was when the gusts picked up and the wind moved through the trees, the tops moved like a wave at the beach and you could watch it travel down the mtn. it was pretty wild.

got lots of stringers cut up and hauled up to where i'll be working tomorrow. recruited some help from a few guys just about to hit pingu. they were more than happy to help out and it turns out they aren't even from the shore, just up here visiting from denver. it was pretty nice of them to stop and help for 15min.

when it got dark i totally felt like i was being watched out there too. it was still windy and the odd branch was snapping here and there, making it sound like something was tracking me. spooky, esp with the mist in the trees.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Last edited by: syncro on Jan. 3, 2021, 4:33 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 10, 2004, 11:35 p.m.

dammit i already miss building……

can't get enough of that sodium benzoate…

Sept. 11, 2004, 1:29 p.m.

cool synchro. i like my log, keeps track of what is going on. on being in the forest when its windy….its scary the whole canopy just screams back and forth, and seymour in the dark is always spooky. i swear there is a sasq up there.

one time dave wicks and i were building and heard a super weird sound, that you could not match up to an animal, and it seemed close.

log on.

Well, well I been movin' down to Florida.
And I'm gonna bowl me a perfect game.
Well I'm gonna cut off my leg down in Florida, child.
And I'm gonna dance one-legged off in the rain.

Sept. 11, 2004, 1:42 p.m.

Originally posted by putty
**cool synchro. i like my log, keeps track of what is going on. on being in the forest when its windy….its scary the whole canopy just screams back and forth, and seymour in the dark is always spooky. i swear there is a sasq up there.

one time dave wicks and i were building and heard a super weird sound, that you could not match up to an animal, and it seemed close.

log on. **

thanks man.

that weird sound was prolly diggler squealing from dante givng him teh buffalo shampoo.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 11, 2004, 5:11 p.m.

I love stormy weather:D It's soo great when it's really windy and wild but not raining. You can watch the patchy cloud racing across the sky. You just have to make sure you don't catch a broken tree branch or top in the head;)

Originally posted by Smoke
8 weeks in Whistler + greenhorn English boy = venereal disease + compound fractures + angry collection agency pursuing you around the world.

Sept. 11, 2004, 11:51 p.m.

be careful of that wind….there's a trail on vedder called "concussion" - the builder had a tree fall on him while he was working on the trail :eek:

no he didn't get a concussion, but it seemed a fitting name i guess :P

Sept. 12, 2004, 7:19 a.m.

Sorry I couldnt get down yesterday. The bloody Sea to Sky was closed once again due to an accident. Waited an hour and a half of not moving, turned around - hopefully noone got killed.

Sept. 12, 2004, 4:11 p.m.

no worries bro, pete and dean came by on Sat to help for a bit. it's funny, there were a few crowds of people hiking up from the bottom entrance by pingu and when they saw us working instead of coming up to say hi and ask about the trail they turned around and went back out. i guess they were afraid of getting put to work. freaking idiots, like roaches scurrying from the light.

we got some decent work done, got all my lumber cut for the second half of the carousel and i should be able to get it done this week. then i'll move on to the wall ride and get that done too. got some pics i'll post up later.

Ellen Langer

Sept. 13, 2004, 7:41 a.m.

synchro, do the alt. lines still need work?

Sept. 13, 2004, 11:07 a.m.

When I am given the ok to start hiking again I can come in and help clear brush on the alternate lines. I'll meet up one day and see what I can do

Sept. 13, 2004, 12:28 p.m.

Originally posted by statix
synchro, do the alt. lines still need work?

yup, still need a bit here and there. feel free to drop by.

Ellen Langer

Sept. 13, 2004, 12:40 p.m.

Hey Mark..I think I accidently "stole" one of your volunteers Sat.
Soory for that.

Guy named Chris( Ripper (??) on the board here ) saw me as I was heading up at about 10:30 a.m. and asked me where you were working and he said he was gonna meet you at 2 pm.

Then he came by while I was just getting started cutting up that burned cedar Putty bucked for me, asked if he could help and ended up staying for about 4-5 hours. Yahoo!!

We got a really cool new feature done at the same mud-hole crossing that I started last week and which Putty and Dave W finished as a good ladder bridge.

Now there is also a continuous curving skinny ride that starts at the end of the natural log, curves onto the entracne of the lasdder bridge, then cuves back around to the exit of the bridge.

So now both easy crossing and low level but technical skinny options are available.

Ciao.Keep Diggin' The Shore…….PS :bandit:

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "Woo Hoo - What a ride!!"

• Author unknown.
Sept. 13, 2004, 8:55 p.m.

Originally posted by LeeLau
When I am given the ok to start hiking again I can come in and help clear brush on the alternate lines. I'll meet up one day and see what I can do

the phrase "when i get the ok to go hiking again" gives me this hunch that you injured yourself lee…dont tell me you knocked those nice pretty teeth out of your mouth again

Sept. 13, 2004, 9:23 p.m.

ok, so here's some pics from sat folks. please try and keep your posts to comments about trail building.

i have been working on building the exit for the carousel where the will be an exit ramp off the log that goes around a tree.

this first pic shows how i have attached the stringer for the exit ramp to the log. the side of the log was cut flat, a cedar block nailed to the log and the stringers rest on top of the block and are nailed into it.

the next pic shows how i have notched a stringer into the top of a post. the post is about 18" across.

this last pic shows the stringer notched into the two posts. the cross bace will support stringers that come out from each post at an angle. the cross brace/smaller post was used instead of another larger post because a large stump was in the way and the large post could not be placed in the proper position.

Ellen Langer

Sept. 13, 2004, 10:51 p.m.

Hey mark what are u building.. last time i was riding corkscrew i thought i heard u working.. and we walked over.. but u werent there.. all we saw were those posts in the ground.. is it an alternate line off the log ?