Sumas - Knobgobbler trail project

May 21, 2007, 10:20 p.m.

I'm away next week, but we'll be up the whole week of May 28. Trevor is back on day shift so we'll be working up there in the afternoons. Pics are coming…

May 21, 2007, 10:45 p.m.

New bridge on the left…you can see the old "bridge" (yes, it's those logs) on the right. It was a steep drop into the old one with a nice tire-sized gap right in the middle of it before a steep climb up. The new one is much nicer.

May 21, 2007, 10:51 p.m.

A bit further down the trail:

Here's the BEFORE pics:

That's been replaced with this:

May 21, 2007, 11:24 p.m.

Nice. Real nice. It's great that instead of braking down the steep slope, walking across the 'bridge', and pushing up the other side, it looks like it's now non-stop ride. Sweet.

In the first pic, I see the new bridge, the previous bridge AND the original bridge.

May 21, 2007, 11:30 p.m.

In the first pic, I see the new bridge, the previous bridge AND the original bridge.

We've been hauling the remnants of the chainsaw massacre away from the trail. That stuff looks bunk laying there in the creek. Still lots more to go.

May 22, 2007, 8:17 a.m.

The bridge is appox. 38 ft long and higher than the pixs look like,but it's built bomber. What used to be a tough section is now sweet.
After spending all weekend redoing these two bridges,on leaving.
We went and cut through a temp. line in the middle of TimeKiller,to reconnect it,short and sweet.
Those who have never done KG will be really pleased ,it is a XC ,with some teeth in it. If your a newer rider it is a good choice to check out.
Lots of work still needed on Sumas but it's getting done.
g

FVMBA Website

May 22, 2007, 11:07 p.m.

I went up this morning and laid fresh tracks on the bridge, my tire mark was the only one in the dirt after it. The bridge deck is 7 feet off the ground at the highest part, but you just flow right through that section now and it feels easy.

May 23, 2007, 4:59 a.m.

I know what you guys are thinking…"Knobgobbler…I don't even ride that trail, way too much pedaling." Well guess what, the sooner we finish Knobgobbler the sooner we can get to work on trails you DO ride, like Time Killer.

I have never rode there, but you say that you have to pedal on that trail. So is that an XC trail? I have not found any good XC trails in Van. About as XC as it gets out here is 7th on Fromme.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

May 23, 2007, 9:18 a.m.

Good xc places to ride.
Sumas KnobG , park at the upper gate and ride to the top.
Enter the KG and go down to the exit,at exit down 50ft. turn left(E.) go up access road(there is a big open spot E side)up this access rd 3/400ft see opening S. side and go in.(Holiday sauce)down ,out into a clearing turn R. West and go till opening L side back in.
Sumas on the E. side is very XC West side TimeKiller/NoahFear DH,bigger bikes home here.
Myself I ride both with my pig bike,fun.

Mission RED mtn - Park at Millpond cross the road S. and up the trail to top, a great XC ride with climb and a little steeper than most XC trails but many trails up there, home of this years XC BC Championships July 7th
It will soon be all flagged so riders can preride .\
BEAR mtn has one of the best DH courses around, haven't rode it lately??
Silly Fast…
Behind the Bear DH course is biguns, Backdoor,jolly rancher finish off by doing the DH course.
This sun 2pm lower sumas gate(big yellow) xc crowd going riding,
time to make some new friends,I am sure they wouldn't mind a newbie to their group.

FVMBA Website

May 26, 2007, 10:31 p.m.

I have never rode there, but you say that you have to pedal on that trail. So is that an XC trail? I have not found any good XC trails in Van. About as XC as it gets out here is 7th on Fromme.

It's XC-ish with some steep sections and natural rock drops.

May 30, 2007, 8:38 a.m.

Work continues on KG, piece by piece we are putting it back into great shape.
Natural,flowy and fairly long.
Next sun jun3 trail day should see most everything redone.
We will finish hauling all the garbaged chainsawed bridging out of the water,this weekend.

TimeKiller--
Entrance is now just about all ridable(back to the original line after the big bridge) middle section by the cabin ,line has been chainsawed back into reality,no more getting off the bike here.
A new logging road now cuts through middle section ,
we will be working on finishing that today.
TK exit TimeOut will be looked at and chainsawed open as well.

Noah Fear is almost fixed, long log ride (after steeep section) is being redone with a laddered drop off,and a another new ladder will allow easy exit off the elevated log ride.
The short clear cut has been cut through and made rideable ,back into the canopy to new exit onto another logging road.
Chainsaws are roaring, bug biting, huge work days,yet were smiling.
sick or what eh?
G

FVMBA Website