sorca news

Sept. 29, 2009, 9:55 p.m.

Trail Maintenance/Rehabilitation
SORCA is pleased to announce that we have received a $100,000 grant for a new downhill trail and for upgrades and maintenance of established trails; with the moneys coming from both the federal and provincial governments (see September 2, 2009 press release). SORCA also received 10 responses to our request for expression of interest for trail upgrade and maintenance work. Seven applicants were accepted and will be starting work in the near future. The successful candidates were:
Barry McLane
Clark Lewis
Duncan MacKenzie, D-Mac Trails Inc.
Roland Benesocky
Sarah Leishman et al., Gravity Logic
Ted Tempany, Dream Wizard Events
Ward Robinson
Work has been started on the new Half Nelson Trail which is located in the vicinity of Recycle and Angry Midget; so be aware that there is equipment operating in this area; and no the trail is not ready for riding.
Expensive tail maintenance will be occurring from now until snowfall on the following trails:
Wonderland
Bob McIntosh
Fartherside
Mashiter Trail
Powerhouse Plunge
Pseudotsuga
Ring Creek Rip
The Corners
Powersmart
Cheshire Cat
Credit Line
Made in the Shade, and
Entrails
Please use appropriate caution when riding these trails.

POPULAR SQUAMISH TRAIL RECEIVES $100,000

VICTORIA - An investment of $100,000 in joint federal and provincial funding will support new trail development and upgrades to the Diamond Head mountain bike and hiking trails in Squamish, announced John Weston, Member of Parliament for West Vancouver - Sunshine Coast - Sea to Sky Country and B.C. Tourism, Culture and the Arts Minister Kevin Krueger today.

"Mountain biking is a favourite sport among a magnificent array of activities that B.C. offers outdoors enthusiasts," said Krueger. "This funding will help provide new trail development and essential upgrades to these popular bike and hiking trails in Squamish to ensure this valued tourism asset can continue to be enjoyed for years to come."

The Province committed $50,000 in provincial capital infrastructure funds toward the project. The Squamish Off Road Cycling Association used this amount to qualify for matching funds under the federal National Trails Coalition cost-sharing program, bringing the total funding for this project to $100,000.

"Investment in these recreational trails is an important step forward for Squamish," said Weston. "Not only will residents and tourists benefit from this development, but in this year of the Olympics and Paralympics, we're sending a message around the world that Canadians stand for healthy lifestyles. I'm proud to announce this project and to encourage people to become more active in their communities."

This project is being supported through the Government of Canada's $25-million investment in recreational trails, part of the Government of Canada's Economic Action Plan. The Government of Canada's investments will be matched by the National Trails Coalition and their provincial, territorial, municipal or private funding partners. A first federal payment of $12.5 million was issued to the National Trails Coalition, allowing work to begin right away on over 500 projects across Canada.

The new trail development and upgrades to the Diamond Head mountain bike and hiking trails in Squamish are expected to begin sometime this month. This work will revitalize these popular trails and make it easier for individuals and families to participate in outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, and running.

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture"

Sept. 29, 2009, 9:58 p.m.

Expensive tail maintenance will be occurring from now until snowfall on the following trails:

just a heads up

Sept. 29, 2009, 10:01 p.m.

just a heads up

don't you mean bottoms up.

Bahdump bump

thank you very much. I'm here thru Friday. 2 drink mininium

Sept. 29, 2009, 10:03 p.m.

tip your waitress!

That is great news, awesome to see so much stuff happening for Squamish.

Sept. 29, 2009, 10:12 p.m.

Whats happening on Bob MacIntosh and wonderland?

Pastor of Muppets

Sept. 29, 2009, 10:33 p.m.

rumor is they're gonna get some sweet gap jumps and high skinnies.

Sept. 29, 2009, 10:35 p.m.

over the river I assume.

Sept. 29, 2009, 10:35 p.m.

about time….I'll start collecting rocks to "armour" the rest.

Pastor of Muppets

Sept. 30, 2009, 11:55 a.m.

This is GREAT news… Finally !!!

Just my 2 cents but I think it wouldnt have been nice from SORCA to ask the riders what should be done with the money.

Im glad the gov has finally decided to step it up and I know some of the SORCA people haven't worked hard to get us there…Thanks to all of them,now that being said Im no SORCA fan and some of the trails stated above are questionable IMO.Perhaps someone could have asked the riders how to use OUR money …no ?or was there a meeting Ive missed?

Im glad Ted's working on that new trail, he knows what he's doing and judging from what Ive seen so far, its going to be real good but Im not a believer in "maintaining" the few too many trails we already have…

I think it could have helped to build more than just one new trail to help alleviate some of the traffic on existing trails like lower Pseudosuga.At least better than spending money on a trail like The Mashiter if I had to name one out of the bunch.

Give it a few months, a year at the most and all of the "fixed" trails will be trashed again mostly because in some cases they are THE only option down a part of the mountain.

Sept. 30, 2009, 12:03 p.m.

I think it could have helped to build more than just one new trail to help alleviate some of the traffic on existing trails like lower Pseudosuga.At least better than spending money on a trail like The Mashiter if I had to name one out of the bunch.

I think that would've been a great idea too. the bottom part of Pseudo Tsuga is going to need some CBC style armouring for it to last if traffic gets any worse. Its fairly thrashed right now, imagine if it had been a typical squamish summer.

Sept. 30, 2009, 12:04 p.m.

^ that made no sense. Try taking off a couple of n't.

If you want more say in it then join the sorca board.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sept. 30, 2009, 12:33 p.m.

Posted via Mobile Device

Wow, Is this a democracy or what? Its like saying tax payers should all work for the government if they want the right to give their opinion.

Beside I disagree with 90% of the people on SORCA, there's no point for me to join them and fight all the time.

What is it that didnt make any sense to you, trying to consult the riders or the bitching about SORCA?( 'cause I could go for hours on that one but you and I both know it would do any good )

Lets keep doing the same thing we've been doing for years ( and proved to be somewhat catastrophic) and disregard the trail users concerns, thats the right way to do it for sure … and so 1990's

Im stunned.

Sept. 30, 2009, 12:45 p.m.

Woah… having built a decent amount of trail and been involved with trail organizations I can tell you that inviting opinions from the whole biking community is going to lead you straight into a quagmire. Someone has to step up and make the tough decisions about what is going to get done, and SORCA has done just that. Like it or lump it, the choices have been made and that's the way life goes. It's like the old too many cooks in the kitchen story….

Congrats to SORCA and I can't wait to get out and enjoy the work that will be done out there :)

Sept. 30, 2009, 12:46 p.m.

its been a progressive year in squamish, and the $$ is very welcome and appreciated.

who's ward robinson??

Sept. 30, 2009, 12:52 p.m.

Posted via Mobile Device

Im assuming that wasnt directed at me?