Some pics from Calgary

Nov. 13, 2009, 8:03 p.m.

Ok, that's enough. I will now definitely bring my bike. I drove to Bragg Creek 5 times this summer - each time no bike. One more trip in the next couple weeks, but I think the weather says leave the bike, but I'll be out again in the spring.

I'll either try to hook up with you, or with my cousin's son fro
m Bragg Creek.

Nov. 13, 2009, 8:18 p.m.

Ok, that's enough. I will now definitely bring my bike. I drove to Bragg Creek 5 times this summer - each time no bike. One more trip in the next couple weeks, but I think the weather says leave the bike, but I'll be out again in the spring.

I'll either try to hook up with you, or with my cousin's son fro
m Bragg Creek.

Do it. The season is coming to a close, but there are still goods to be had on the south facing slopes. The road for shuttling is closed from December 1 - May 15, but if you're into pedalling and it doesnt snow too much it could be good beyond that.

Lots of progress went on this summer/fall as MMBTS was given a govt grant for paid trail labour/tools/signs. Some old classics have been revived!

www.mmbts.com

Nov. 13, 2009, 8:35 p.m.

This thread has history. I have only 2 more things 2 add:

Maybe I drank too mu ch with dinner tonight.

Still….gonna ride there. do you know Matt McD?

May 19, 2010, 8:42 a.m.

Tried my hand at some rock armouring / paving…whatever you want to call it.

I guess it's probably hard to critique my work as I have no work in progress pics, but this was the end result. I tried to use all the biggest rocks I could find, but damn they're few and far between in this area.

This bastage walked through my setup area…about 15' behind me. :eek2: Despite my interwebs handle, I'm not quiet when I'm working….pretty glad I hadn't busted into my bag of jerky!

www.mmbts.com

May 19, 2010, 9:51 a.m.

Awesome man…gets me stoked to do more work.

May 19, 2010, 10:47 a.m.

Nice work as always J. Looking forwrd to riding some of it when im out that way.

WTF, Over?

May 25, 2010, 9:40 a.m.

This is another rebuild…

This stunt, named Hiccups, was one of the first that we built on Race of Spades. It was mostly decked with 2x4's and nailed to trees. It has been the standard that intermediate "freeriders" have judged themselves against. The stunt starts with a sketchy loose, rocky, ungroomed run in, to a gap to platform (not really a step-up), to an uphill pedal to a good sized drop. There was a skinny off option and a smaller hip to the same tranny. The main drop has been called anywhere from 7 feet to 14 feet. It does look ginormous as you drop into a ravine, but it ain't no 10 footer nevermind 14.
pics in links:
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1551364/
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/4055783/
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/4055723/

New stunt will be named switchyard…we seem to name our stunts so that we know what the hell we're all talking about when we're discussing the theory of the stunt over email while at work…

Profile of the run in to the main drop:

The "Switch"…three options. Double black roll in to booter to tranny on the left. Black drop in the middle, blue drom to the right.

Booter in progress:

www.mmbts.com

May 25, 2010, 9:45 a.m.

S'mo:

Yes there are stumps around this site…evils from days gone by.

View from above on the big pants line. This will likely be what we call a 2%er (2% of riders that see it will ride it), but it was relatively easy to add so why not.

Switch area decked. Definitely could have used a slightly smaller saw for the finagley bits, but what fun would that be!

View of the booter all decked up and the big saw. This thing needs to be dug in a bunch.

www.mmbts.com

May 26, 2010, 12:49 p.m.

I have an addiction…

sigh…

www.mmbts.com

June 24, 2010, 9:54 a.m.

^^^ Holy isht! Get some help. Awesome toys.
:lol:

July 12, 2010, 8:16 a.m.

So, I've been a little wh0red out to two trails over the last little bit, but have been making decent progress…

Some more work done on the Switchyard:
Got the "blue" line side all framed in:

The last 7-8 rungs need to be replaced..they don't hug the tree as much as they need to so you'll have a tendency to drift right…which would be bad. It seems like you drop into the abyss, but it's only a ~7ish foot drop to the top of the tranny.

Looking up…tranny framed in and ready for dirt. Really nice dirt around here.

www.mmbts.com

July 12, 2010, 8:52 a.m.

This is on Billy Dog.

This is through a section that took us by surprise in that it's a friggin swamp for about a month in the spring. The runoff seems to appear about 3 weeks after all the snow is melted and it shows up in two ~80-100 foot sections.

Re-routing the "bad" sections was not really an option unless we wanted to decommission the entire second half of trail and find a totally different route that would have no guarantees to be dry. The fact that there's a ishton of fresh blowdown in the very near vicinity made the decision easy to bridge the bejesus out of the sections. It's also something that'll help with trail speed a fair bit as the lower section of trail is pretty flat with lots of duff and topsoil.

This is the first wet section:

First and second bump in the distance. These are just little floaters..something to keep the bridge interesting…"fun" in "functional" or something cheezy like that.

All the support posts have been sharpened like a fencepost and driven with a sledge until they stop..normally works out to about 2-3 feet into the virgin clay. Deeper than we would have dug them in, anyways. Plus, digging holes would mean cutting through a ridiculous layer if aspen roots.

Looking down from the second bump.

Sender off in the distance…have to keep this rollable for the masses so it'll be a jump to a tranny 10-12 feet out with a table in between.

Looking up from the launch…

www.mmbts.com

July 27, 2010, 10:53 p.m.

Those trails look amazingly fun. I really like this [HTML_REMOVED]#9660;[HTML_REMOVED]#9660;[HTML_REMOVED]#9660;, could do and awesome photo/video and 3 riders all hitting the different lines :)

mmkay?

Aug. 12, 2010, 11:12 p.m.

Oustanding work man! :beer::beer:

Aug. 13, 2010, 8:54 p.m.

J- ur the f'in man out there on MM for keeping us posted on whats new in that place. Well done. Cant wait to get out there and try it out, use your ride arounds, ect….

WTF, Over?