Skull - trail nazi??

Sept. 15, 2014, 9:20 a.m.

It seems so frequent that I'm surprised none of us have seen anyone suspicious out there. I'm guessing someone is going out in the evening or early morning.

couple weeks ago riding the bp past the skull entrance something hit the ground nearby that startled me; didn't see what it was so just assumed it was a random falling branch. when i got to the punchy climb i heard another something hit the ground further back, then heard some movement lower down on skull. i stopped [HTML_REMOVED] went back to the entrance to see what was going on, but didn't see anyone (didn't bother going down the trail). now i'm wondering if the dickwad was throwing things. going to have to put skull back on regular rotation.

Sept. 15, 2014, 11:51 a.m.

I wonder if it would be worth while for the NSMBA to file a police report? Then when the person is identified a visit from the RCMP might get their attention.

As there is certainly the possibility for someone to get injured with a log/rock at the bottom of a semi blind decent.

Sept. 15, 2014, 12:04 p.m.

I wonder if it would be worth while for the NSMBA to file a police report? Then when the person is identified a visit from the RCMP might get their attention.

As there is certainly the possibility for someone to get injured with a log/rock at the bottom of a semi blind decent.

I think in this case it is up to individuals to file a criminal complaint. If something happened to someone or they saw something illegal/dangerous, they should file a report.

Sept. 15, 2014, 6:32 p.m.

best thing would be to throw the debris far down the hill as possible making it harder for them each time.

I thought about that when clearing, but there's so much debris and deadfall off the side of the trail, it's a losing battle.

Sept. 16, 2014, 12:58 p.m.

Is there a thread dedicated to trail surveillance cameras, or maybe time for one?
I've been looking at these http://www.brinno.com/html/TLC100.html

~~~~~~~~~~~

Sept. 27, 2014, 9:09 p.m.

I was in lower skull near the bottom today and saw someone had made neat piles of loose rocks across the trail. There was about 4 of these lines and could be very dangerous to less experienced riders. I'm not sure if they were put there to help with water flow or if it was more trail nazi evidence. If it was for drainage and whoever did is on the board then it was really poorly done.

Sept. 29, 2014, 1:03 p.m.

^^ almost certainly not for drainage. Just keep on clearing until we can identify someone. Just a matter of time.

also, if you catch someone in the act, just keep your cool and follow them back to their home/car and get the number.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Sept. 29, 2014, 3:09 p.m.

I think in this case it is up to individuals to file a criminal complaint. If something happened to someone or they saw something illegal/dangerous, they should file a report.

Its still worth calling in to start a file. The more background and complaints the RCMP have when they do find someone, the more likely they will be to act.

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Nov. 15, 2014, 4:49 p.m.

We were going go in to Skull today but we got 100 feet in and had cleared at least a dozen trees. Trail nazi in full effect I'm afraid.

Nov. 19, 2014, 2:05 p.m.

I've summarized the incidents as follows:
Aug 1st Friday - 1st report, partially cleared by rider
Aug 10 Sunday - Covered
Aug 11 Monday - cleared by rider
Aug 12 Tuesday - still clear
Aug 16th Saturday - Covered, cleared by rider
Aug 19th Tuesday - Still clear
Aug 21st Thursday - Skull covered, reported on the 22nd, unclear if it was cleared
Aug 31 Sunday - Skull clear
Sept 1st Monday - Skull Covered, cleared by rider
Sept 3rd Wed - Skull clear
Sept 4th Thursday - Skull clear, camera installed
Sept 5th Friday - Skull covered, cleared by rider
Sept 9th Tuesday - Skull still clear, checked camera no usable photos
Sept 12 Friday - between 5:02-5:04am photos were obtained of someone covering the trail, unfortunately they are not definitive, but could be used for corroboration.
Sept 14th Sunday - Skull clear, cameras removed
Oct 26th Sunday - Skull TAP day
Nov 16 Sunday Skull covered cleared by rider
Nov 18th Tuesday - Skull covered, cleared by rider
Nov 19 Wednesday - Skull covered cleared by rider

Seems he was busy in Aug not so much Sept to Oct, now picking up again. At least as reported here.
I won't be putting our cameras up there this winter since its dark too early and I'm not that interested in hiking into this trail regularly to check them. If someone wants to monitor this regularly PM me and we can arrange something. If nothing else the cameras will give a time as to when he's covering the trail.

Seems he's in there now early in the week. If its the same guy as last Sept, you'll have to get there early to get him!

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Nov. 19, 2014, 6:03 p.m.

Today (19th) branches on the trail for the first 200m then nothing.

Cleared them and threw them as far as possible from the trail.

I wonder if people ride the trail less in the wet and thats why there were less reports here on the board for the last few months and with the nice weather in the last week the trail has gotten more traffic…

Nov. 19, 2014, 6:53 p.m.

Today (19th) branches on the trail for the first 200m then nothing.

Cleared them and threw them as far as possible from the trail.

I wonder if people ride the trail less in the wet and thats why there were less reports here on the board for the last few months and with the nice weather in the last week the trail has gotten more traffic…

Very Likely, the best way to catch this guy is to have someone or a few people working together to monitor the trail, keep it clear and figure out when this guy does this, then you can target in on when he's there.

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Nov. 20, 2014, 9:22 a.m.

Why not put the camera(s) back up? 5:02-5:04 in the morning…definitely doesn't want to get caught doing it. Someone should hang out there from 4:30 in the morning (hidden and without light)-sounds like fun for someone who has bigger balls than I-and pounce/confront.

Unless it's a Samsquatch. Then run like hell.

Wrong. Always.

Nov. 20, 2014, 9:30 a.m.

Why not put the camera(s) back up? 5:02-5:04 in the morning…definitely doesn't want to get caught doing it. Someone should hang out there from 4:30 in the morning (hidden and without light)-sounds like fun for someone who has bigger balls than I-and pounce/confront.

Unless it's a Samsquatch. Then run like hell.

Because I won't be able to get up there enough to monitor it, which is why I'm asking those who seem most concerned about this vandalism to help do something about instead of just rant on nsmb.com.

Nov. 20, 2014, 11:57 a.m.

Yeah, I don't ride on the shore very often so it isn't my neck of the woods. But I would sure like to see this guy get caught because it would hopefully set a precedent against any other nutjobs considering doing the same.

Wrong. Always.