Seymour - Shorn Scrotum

July 12, 2013, 10:56 a.m.

City boys….

July 12, 2013, 11:22 a.m.

Not certain on which side I would take if one has to take sides. I like the bypass, it's all fine. That said I like riding both Severed and C-Buster on their own. Last trip down C I almost had it clean, just couldn't quite stop fast enough after the steep role into the sharp right hand corner.

Moar options the betterer it is, should keep everybody happy, no? I guess with all the great weather we are having lately it is getting hard to find things to complain about.

July 12, 2013, 11:25 a.m.

City boys….

Oh Thad, regale us unfortunate city boys with stories of your mountain man prowess.

Tell us how much better you are at manly things due to how you've chosen to live in a remote cabin hunting and killing your own food. How you build trails vastly superior to anything us mere city folk can build.

July 12, 2013, 11:44 a.m.

LOLOLOL, I can't make fun of VIP Vancouver types who are faaaaar too busy and important to help build, but demand that volunteer work must suit their tastes?

I did not mean to threaten your masculinity…. you must have girl hands.

July 12, 2013, 12:31 p.m.

How you build trails vastly superior to anything us mere city folk can build.

Pretty sure Thad's one of the North Fork builders from south of the 49th. That place had rad trails from all accounts (sadly, I never got to hit it :( )

July 12, 2013, 2 p.m.

Read the original post, I did not call anyone out by name and the criticism towards the trail I think is legit.

I feel:
- the trail was not completed, just punched through after the SB's
- majority of the trail was not well built
- has sat in current state for a couple of years
- original builders are doing other things (by his own admission)
- the trail has caused lower C-Buster to get worn out and rutted (it was in poor shape already and in need of work, but it has gotten nuked in the last year)

If you disagree with my position, have a constructive response, defend the trail if you feel it is wonderful, it doesn't make sense to call me names?!

Yes, praise for people putting shovels in the ground, but not for people who slash through a poor trail and leave it.

The potential is there for a great XC loop, but the trail needs to be finished OR possible rerouted a bit, as the selected line does not drain well for most of the year, if you only ride the trail in the dry to avoid the moisture that this trail holds then you would start your riding on this trail in July and end in Oct. IT DOES NOT DRAIN.

In its current state, if you ride the trail and when you get to Applicator and you think to yourself, "wow that was fun", then we see riding differently. And no I am not all for ribbons of gold, I enjoy technical old school lines, like C-Buster, not chunder like most of Severed.

And yes I would say this to anyone in person, I am opinionated online and offline…

SEEMS LIKE YOUR ONE ENTITLED BITCH

TRAIL SUX IN THE WET. DON'T RIDE IT IN THE WET THEN NANCY BOY.

TRAIL ROX IN THE DRY., RIDE IT IN THE DRY THEN YOU IDIOTG

TRAIL WAS OPEN ONE YEAR. YOU DONT KNOW WTH YOUR TALKING ABOIUT DO YOU? THAT'S OK MOST OF THE STUPID FIRST WORLD JERKOFSS ON THIS BOARD DON;T HAVE A CLUE EITHER SO SEEMS YOU FIT RIGHT INTO THE OLD SPERMPOOL

SO MY CONSTRUCTIVE RESPONSE IS THAT YOU FIX THE TRAIL YOURSELF YOU LAZY BITCH OR SIMPLY STFU.

I BET YOU WON'T PICK UP A SINGLE FUKING SHOVEL. BLOWHARD. JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHER WAHWAHWHINERS. BUT SURPIRSE ME.

MY REAL NAME IS STFU AND I ENDORSE THIS MESSAGE

July 12, 2013, 3:56 p.m.

Don't post rudely and be annoyed when people respond rudely.

I will start with an agreement with this statement. While it's fine to tell a builder their trail is a blown out drainage nightmare, you'd best start constructively.

People who are familiar with the North Shore's builder culture will know Lee and Sharon's build style. Cut the line, let it get haggard, return at convenience to fix problem spots. Take Greenland for example, as it was cut a couple years earlier. Cut, blown, patched, still not perfect, but a line people enjoy incorporating into loops.

From the perspective of rider experience, Shorn has gone from decent to crap over the past few months. Even over winter it was pumpable; now, not so much. No doubt the builder knows this (and has voiced this in the thread) and knowing the build style, it would likely see work soon.

However, I'm very grateful for all the spring deadfall clearing that Lee does, such that I couldn't justify complaining about the condition of Shorn. It still links up loops that I like to ride, especially living west of Seymour.

Nothing is stopping concerned riders from contacting builders in the know (in this thread) or the NSMBA about this trail, getting in touch with the builder, and getting involved with shoveling out organic and putting in some rocks and gold.

As for the condition of lower CB and Applicator, this is a function of any trail or route in a network gaining popularity. It has been boggy for years; a good candidate for a fun XC bypass (a logical progression in the area) and either leave the bogs to to the old schoolers or – gasp – decommission the rooty mess.

flickr

July 12, 2013, 4:03 p.m.

TRD, just pointing out that trouble spots are developing and asking how you could help would've gotten a totally different response. Builders just ask for a little appreciation and respect and calling their work poor or an embarrassment is pretty much the polar opposite. If the builder had plans to fix things, do you think he/she would be more motivated or less motivated after seeing comments like yours?

Anyway, if you have any interest in improving the drainage, let me know. Its really not that much work.

• morgman beat me to it, pretty much saying the same thing

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

July 12, 2013, 4:15 p.m.

I like Shorn for the technical challenge of seeing how far I can get chainless style
the next time I'm up I'll find rocks to place beside the trail at the point where I can't coast any more and have to pedal
if I make it to C Buster without pedalling then I will mark my success by placing rocks at the end
so rather than Strava how about a technical skill challenge, mark your prowess with rocks

July 12, 2013, 5:06 p.m.

Morgman, Bryce, DrewM, thank you for the constructive comments.

Agree that a different approach by myself could have been made, i could have been softer and offering to help, noted for future threads.

My thought process was more along the lines that hey this builder has abandoned this trail for a while now?! WTF

Rereading my original post i don't think I was abusive, possibly a poorly chosen word was used and I intentionally did not call out the specific builders by name, so as to not make it personal.

However I stand by my comment, I feel the cutting through the trail and leaving it is poor, and possibly a better line choice could have been chosen that would have better water shedding. Possibly not.

The intention of the thread was to raise awareness of the state of the trail, its builders approach, its impact on CB and its positive potential if it was finished.

To say it okay to blaze a connector through where ever one wishes and leave it to others to complete is not acceptable. The standard that all the other builders seem to use of hiding the entrance and exit until complete seems like a much better approach.

I don't mind the attacks, bringing attention to the trail will hopefully get some results…

July 12, 2013, 5:39 p.m.

if somebody pays for a plane ticket and a week off work I will come fix it so you can all go ba I to your regularly scheduled programming.

July 12, 2013, 6:09 p.m.

Who does trail work in July anyways? Maybe the builder is busy gasp riding his or her bike?

July 12, 2013, 7:44 p.m.

Why is no one talking about the massacre on Seymour, PARKS YOU KINDA SUCK hard!!

July 12, 2013, 7:49 p.m.

You'd think it was November around here. Go ride, smile, giggle, have fun. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Why is no one talking about the massacre on Seymour, PARKS YOU KINDA SUCK hard!!

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?p=2762421#post2762421

July 12, 2013, 8:11 p.m.

Again, familiarize yourself with the situation before throwing stones. Parks (Not BC Parks jurisdiction if that's what you mean) is not the responsible entity and the trail will see the light of day again.

flickr