Seriously????

Aug. 4, 2011, 10:03 p.m.

yeah… I get a little excited spreading the gospel. I get to take down another bridge next trail day. :woot:

:canada:

Aug. 5, 2011, 12:32 a.m.

Until they are left to rot away unmaintained. Or teeter totters with snapped cross beams on __. The glory is often in the building, rarely the maintaining.

I figured we'd do something, since no one was doing anything. There's always Incline.
Do we like gnar, or do we cling to the perception that gross neglect = gnar?

FTR, Jerry slashes tech. Speed + flow + techgnar.

i'm not a pussy; i know the teeter on salvation needs to be repaired so you don't need to hide it. there's material to fix it, just not the time right now. and, i'm sure over the years i've done more than my fair share of maintaining just in case you were wondering - no glory or needed.

yes, sometimes i think rutted/worn out trails or a section of a trail = gnar and i don't necessarily see anything wrong with that. if you do then we probably shouldn't be riding bikes in the forest at all as a rutted trail really is no worse than a buffed trail in the grand scheme of things - it's not natural to the forest environment. all trails evolve over time, sometimes due to the builder and sometimes not.

this isn't supposed to be a bitch fest, just stating there's no need to constantly be negating what some people like to ride just becuase it's not what you like. i don't care if someone else doesn't like the same stuff as me, i just don't need to hear the constant parade of how what i like is supposedly shitty and no longer hip with the cool kids.

finally, if you really want to get into a debate about the wrongs of different builders there is more than enough material to go around for all of us.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 5, 2011, 7:19 a.m.

Until they are left to rot away unmaintained. The glory is often in the building, rarely the maintaining.

That certainly seems to be the case.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Aug. 5, 2011, 8:53 a.m.

there's material to fix it, just not the time right now.

What I've seen a lot of, is that structures have owners who are protective of them, but often don't have the time to fix them, but don't want others touching them (not saying that the latter is the case here), but groundwork (no glory) is okay for anyone to go in and fix.

The rehabilitation and re-introduction of flow to the shore is one of the best things that's happened lately if you ask me. The shore is starting to alienate a lot of riders who are going to Squamish, the valley, Whistler etc for riding because they don't want to ride rough beat up trails, and a lot who are staying on the shore are constantly searching out 'loamies' or secret trails to satisfy their desire to ride on dirt again.

Aug. 5, 2011, 9:02 a.m.

i've got a bit of nostalgia for the olden days, and still like to ride well integrated structures - stuff that flows and makes sense, but also adds a bit of novelty and alternative technicality to the riding experience; it can go hand in hand with buff flow, but as mentioned, does require a bit of dedication to keep running safely. i applaud the efforts of the trail carpenters out there - guys like syncro [HTML_REMOVED] digger - and hope this type of building doesn't go the way of the dodo. alas, it appears i'm in a bit of a minority these days.

Aug. 5, 2011, 10:41 a.m.

If you guys are going to bag on syncro for Salvation…

If you build something, you should maintain it,especially high risk structures.

:lol: what's getting tired is people not maintaining structures.

http://www.dnv.org/article.asp?a=4914[HTML_REMOVED]c=422

Jerry Rig A closed sign has been placed at the entrance to Jerry Rig. Much of this trail has fallen into disrepair; as a result it is rarely used. This trail will be closed permanently due to the structural instability of the technical trail features and other safety concerns.

Aug. 5, 2011, 11:02 a.m.

i've got a bit of nostalgia for the olden days, and still like to ride well integrated structures - stuff that flows and makes sense, but also adds a bit of novelty and alternative technicality to the riding experience; it can go hand in hand with buff flow, but as mentioned, does require a bit of dedication to keep running safely. i applaud the efforts of the trail carpenters out there - guys like syncro [HTML_REMOVED] digger - and hope this type of building doesn't go the way of the dodo. alas, it appears i'm in a bit of a minority these days.

Well said.

Other then uphill transitions from drops(lol), I pretty much like every aspect of the sport….old school to new school to new old school, it's all good to me.

Aug. 5, 2011, 11:25 a.m.

If you guys are going to bag on syncro for Salvation…

I gave up maintaining JR years ago and most people are aware of this. I'm 100% in favor of removing all the built up stuff. It took 3 winters to build and I wouldn't do it again. Structures simply don't last and rarely get maintained (I admit I'm guilty of the latter). I'm not trying to be a hippocrite but giving out what I've learned.

:canada:

Aug. 5, 2011, 11:36 a.m.

Other then uphill transitions from drops(lol)

lol "Dan"sitions.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Aug. 5, 2011, 11:47 a.m.

lol "Dan"sitions.

Kn.

Can't recall the exact quote from Emergence,

"It's not a DH transition.. it's not a flat transition….It's a Dansition"

Can't help laughing every time I hear it.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Aug. 5, 2011, 9:58 p.m.

Fill holes and repair rotten or damaged features but LEAVE THE OTHERS ALONE.

F([HTML_REMOVED]K SAKES!!!!:flame::flame::flame::flame::flame:

I hope to be able to in the next few days as with my work, it is not easy to make personal phonecalls duriong business hours….guess it will have to be e-mails.

Now the Bottom of Ned???

CRAP!!!:mad:

…I just ride bikes.

… and volunteer some time and effort into fixing wtf you are bitching about. "Do" … not "Bitch".

Aug. 7, 2011, 4:43 p.m.

While you shore locals are getting tired of ladders and skinnys, getting to ride ladies after my whistler trip this year has been my favorite ride so far. I think they still have their place on the shore but not where they kind of get in the way of the flow of a trail, there's lots of that here in penticton:(

i googled majin super gay and this thread came up

Aug. 7, 2011, 9:27 p.m.

This was a great read…thanks everybody! here's my take:

1) Nobody should rag on any of the builders here who have put in countless volunteer hours. If somebody who goes out and build properly builds something they like riding, GOOD. They built it, they get to do what they want (as long as its built safely/properly). If you want a specific thing done, go do it yourself and STFU. that goes for everybody.

2) maintenance: if you build it, and want it to last, maintain it. If not, too bad. When your structure is dead (usually not very long after its built), then it will get removed. This was the case with the gerbil cage. It was busted, cracked, failing, and the builder did not want to look after it anymore. So the landowner removed it.

3) if you want to fix something, quit bitching on NSMB and email the appropriate people (ie. metro vancouver in this case) and get your lazy ass up there and fix it. The gerbil cage is still fixable, 1 part is cut out. Go fix it properly and stop whining. It wasn't a chainsaw massacre, it was removed for safety reasons. again, STFU.

There are plenty of all types of trails out there for everybody to ride with any style of riding. go riding!

Aug. 7, 2011, 10:14 p.m.

… and volunteer some time and effort into fixing wtf you are bitching about. "Do" … not "Bitch".

:fu: