Sanctioned or Unsanctioned, that is the question

June 7, 2012, 3:03 p.m.

It's a truly awesome time on The Shore for mountain bikers. More trail work than you can shake a stick at AND some new trails/sections. My question is this: As a respectful law abiding rider, when is it safe to accept a trail/re-route is open and riding permitted? My examples are:

- Greenland - allegedly unsanctioned by the land owner
- The new trail from Cardiac to (BP?) parallel to Bridle Path - looks finished, how do we know it's "sanctioned" (I've heard it referred to as "Salamander"
- The new entrance to Pingu. Looks ready but rumour has it it's as yet "unsanctioned"
- Shorn Scrotum - "legal" or not, how do we know

A can of worms I'm sure, but what is acceptable to ride and what isn't? How is a rider to decide? I'm leaning towards using Wade [HTML_REMOVED] Sharon's guidance but is that really defendable? And what of the new trails which don't appear? Hmm, will the app be continuously updated I wonder?

Sustainable will be around forever.

June 7, 2012, 3:55 p.m.

There are a lot more older trails to add to that list, one of which is in the book.

If you want to talk about what is acceptable to ride, then you should also include riding certain trails in the wet.

The historical rule seems to be if its a fun trail why not?

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

June 7, 2012, 5:02 p.m.

Wanted to wait for Sharon or someone with more Shore experience to post before I did. I like the response!

Basically,

Politics + Mountain Biking = Bad News.

The laws around Mountain Bike trails are complicated to say the least. Your questions regarding "sanctioned and unsanctioned" need to be answered by someone fully aware of all laws. But, as a trail builder if I've built a new line I will block it off until it's ready to be ridden on, plain and simple. If it's not clearly blocked off then it's likely good to go. Unfortunately, there are many riders who don't care about rules or courtesy so for all those involved (land owners, riders, hikers, etc etc) it's always "at your own risk." The Shore luckily has a smart group of riders and residents involved so the laws are becoming more clear and understandable. The Shore, however, always has been a special place in mountain biking and as such a large political point.

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

June 7, 2012, 5:11 p.m.

what trails are sanctioned???

Old Buck
Empress Bypass
Bridle Path
Fisherman's
St. Georges
Baden Powell
BLT

Is that what you want?

June 8, 2012, 12:26 p.m.

Seems a fair point re. Shorn Scrotum though. I've seen the same pictures posted up at least three times and on two different sites which to me seems like promotion of the trail to me. But I know better than to ask where it is (and if it's on the mountain I think it is, I never bother heading out that way anyway so personally I don't care where it is), because I know I'll get shot down in flames. Go figure…..

treezz
wow you are a ass

June 8, 2012, 12:43 p.m.

When will the stupidity end and why does there seem to be an endless supply on the internet.

I'm confused as to what about the OP (or the replies so far) suggests stupidity? (Not trying to ruffle any feathers, just genuinely curious).

It's a good question. Particularly for clubs, coaches, etc… (see http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=148151)

June 8, 2012, 5:18 p.m.

Seems a fair point re. Shorn Scrotum though. I've seen the same pictures posted up at least three times and on two different sites which to me seems like promotion of the trail to me. But I know better than to ask where it is (and if it's on the mountain I think it is, I never bother heading out that way anyway so personally I don't care where it is), because I know I'll get shot down in flames. Go figure…..

I'm pretty sure it's in a race this weekend on Seymour. It's not a secret.

June 8, 2012, 5:44 p.m.

I'm pretty sure it's in a race this weekend on Seymour. It's not a secret.

and it's a two year old trail which some trailfairy figured it already had enough pleasure riding and might as well share with the rest of the Mongol Hordes.

Don't ask questions! Questions just make you wonder! Just sit back and enjoy what is given from the trailfairies

Lee Lau

June 8, 2012, 5:50 p.m.

I wish Shorn Scrotum was on Fromme so I could read Monica's letters bitching about it.

June 8, 2012, 6:12 p.m.

I wish Shorn Scrotum was on Fromme so I could read Monica's letters bitching about it.

A trailfairy would never ever ever go near a ladies' scrotum

Lee Lau

June 8, 2012, 7:15 p.m.

When will the stupidity end and why does there seem to be an endless supply on the internet.

Care to elaborate?

The original poster asked legitimate questions about things that have been written about,profiled and photographed on this and other legit and respected sites. Why the attitude?

Pastor of Muppets

June 8, 2012, 7:29 p.m.

stupid questions get stupid answers.

June 8, 2012, 9:48 p.m.

Well, thanks fairies! Good to know.

treezz
wow you are a ass

June 8, 2012, 9:58 p.m.

stupid questions get stupid answers.

Show me the stupid question….for those of us not in the inner circle.

Pastor of Muppets

June 8, 2012, 10:25 p.m.

Show me the stupid question….for those of us not in the inner circle.

Tried drinking, still can't find the stupidity.