Roost = BAD

Jan. 28, 2010, 5:34 p.m.

I don't know what it is with bike vids these days, but every dude is roosting up a storm in every berm they hit. They are slamming into corners, sliding, and throwing up as much roost as they can.

Are we really just people riding dirt bikes without engines, or are we a group that chooses not to impact our trails and environment?

As a trail builder, glamorizing roosting and sliding makes me sick. Filmmakers and Pro Riders are setting bad examples that I won't stand for. I won't buy or watch any video that highlights this kind of disrespectful behavior. And don't let me catch anyone roosting the trails in my town.

Jim Maybee
Shuswap Trail Alliance

Jan. 28, 2010, 5:42 p.m.

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=124809

As a trail builder I expect people to skid, roost and otherwise destroy my hard work. It's part of making something for others to use and enjoy. The key is to constantly maintain and build trails so they eventually become self maintaining.

Good luck with your trails! I can't wait to see what mine looks like after the fall and winter. Gonna be a lot of rebuilding and buffing I'm sure!

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Jan. 28, 2010, 5:57 p.m.

I don't know what it is with bike vids these days, but every dude is roosting up a storm in every berm they hit. They are slamming into corners, sliding, and throwing up as much roost as they can.

Are we really just people riding dirt bikes without engines, or are we a group that chooses not to impact our trails and environment?

As a trail builder, glamorizing roosting and sliding makes me sick. Filmmakers and Pro Riders are setting bad examples that I won't stand for. I won't buy or watch any video that highlights this kind of disrespectful behavior. And don't let me catch anyone roosting the trails in my town.

Thanks for bringing up the issue Jim. Every time I see a pinkbike POD of some prepubescent shit destroying a berm with a handful of rear brake, I want to reach out and choke the shit out of the little snot.

The problem is the kids don't get it. They see racers actually drifting a corner and think it is achieved by locking up the back tire.

Leave the skid competitions on the asphalt!

Jan. 28, 2010, 6:09 p.m.

i hate seeing the roost pics as well - it's the reason i didnt buy a particular calendar offered here on nsmb.

Jan. 28, 2010, 6:54 p.m.

Yup, seen so many spectacular loamy trails on the SSC turn into shit rags because every corner has been "cuttied" into a pulpy mess.
These are singletrack trails that would otherwise go for years with little to no maintenance (as they have for decades) but the rate of erosion and soil displacement is escalated drastically when people adopt this riding style and so the amount of trail maintenance must be stepped up too. Unfortunately for these mossy, loamy gems they can never be put back into their original condition. The last time I rode "cutties" (formerly a nice cruisy singletrack for the last few decades with no maintenance needed which was aptly renamed and re-claimed by the gravity set a few years ago) it was so rutted and chewed up I couldn't believe it was the same trail I had pedalled my XC bike up 10 years before.

I did a little raking on some of these older trails that hadn't turned to shuttle runs (yet) a few winters ago when I was visiting the SSC. I won't even bother visiting this part of the mountain or this series of trails on my next visit because I know they've since been opened up, chewed up and I'll just end up pissed off and disgruntled.
[/end rant]

Jan. 28, 2010, 7:21 p.m.

I see no issue with drifting into a corner and tossing a roost, its how you actually corner correctly. Live with it, dirt moves.

Tossing on the brakes through a turn I agree its being glamorized, all braking should be done prior to turn initiation. Good luck on your trail maintenance, trails are meant to be ridden, not looked at.

Discuss.

Jan. 28, 2010, 7:36 p.m.

roost is for racecourses.

qft

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 28, 2010, 7:54 p.m.

I'm a bit torn on this one.

If its on one of my trails and the rider is actually a racer in training mode and utilizing the slide because its a faster way to initiate a turn, then by all means have at 'er. If he/she offers to help repair it even better but whatever, I built the trail so I can deal with it.

But if its a dude JRA and he's sliding the shit out of a pretty fresh trail that's not his own then that's not cool. If that dude is repairing it afterwards then I have little problem with it.

Jan. 28, 2010, 8:33 p.m.

I agree slamming brakes on the actual berm is just plain stupid but if your actually going so quick around the berm your sliding well hell that is mountain biking and theres not much you can do about that.. Only thing you can do is wait for the punks on your trail and introduce them to a shovel…. If they dont stop you know what to do…

Jan. 28, 2010, 8:41 p.m.

I'll say what I said in the other thread…

was going to comment on the trend after watching a few of vids posted up in the last year, but since these kids are all spending tons of time working on the trails I figured they had earned the right to skid into the corners.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Jan. 28, 2010, 9:20 p.m.

as a filmer its a tough one. during filming I have spent hours filling solid berms with loose dust and dirt just to get the Roost flying. I have also built berms (in NewZealand) specifically to destroy.
however afterwards I will always make sure the berm is tip top before we move on (except for the purpose built ones)
Roost in films looks good. riding corners straight got played out and roost often looks better in the golden light. it is a fun way to ride a bike under the right circumstances.
now with racing coming back in a very strong way drifting and roosting turns is becoming a popular way to ride. thats just the way riding as a whole is going(as far as the most dominant group is concerned)

with my very limited experiance on the shore as far as I can tell it is a world of its own. therefor the trails are not built to promote this sort of riding. they seem to me to be built for a different type of flow.
Dirt on the shore is like gold. and it tends to be fairly scarce. it seems to evacuate from the ground very fast under normal riding let alone roosting turns.
trails can be built to stand up to this sort of abuse ,but I dont think the dirt on the shore stands up to it particully well.

so maybe if we promote saving that sort of riding for whistler ,we can keep the dirt (or loam?) intact and have a drifting good time in the apropriate places.
also if you go out and session a turn and blow it to pieces ,pat it back together. the more ya do it ,sometimes the berm just gets better and better.

Now I apologise for the terrible spelling. being a camera operator doesnt promote good typing skills.
I also apologise if I got ways off track ,im a visitor here on the shore and havent quite gotten a full hold on the scene here or how it works.

Jan. 28, 2010, 9:50 p.m.

loam is gold dirt
if you came to ssc and raked out out "loamy" trails which is actualy just the organic dirt then obvioulsy its gonna get wrecked real quick, those old trails you speak of are fall line trails/old skidder rosds which also have terrible drainage
also this cutties trail and the all those types in that area are ex dirt bike trails which they have been using recently aswell

Yup, seen so many spectacular loamy trails on the SSC turn into shit rags because every corner has been "cuttied" into a pulpy mess.
These are singletrack trails that would otherwise go for years with little to no maintenance (as they have for decades) but the rate of erosion and soil displacement is escalated drastically when people adopt this riding style and so the amount of trail maintenance must be stepped up too. Unfortunately for these mossy, loamy gems they can never be put back into their original condition. The last time I rode "cutties" (formerly a nice cruisy singletrack for the last few decades with no maintenance needed which was aptly renamed and re-claimed by the gravity set a few years ago) it was so rutted and chewed up I couldn't believe it was the same trail I had pedalled my XC bike up 10 years before.

I did a little raking on some of these older trails that hadn't turned to shuttle runs (yet) a few winters ago when I was visiting the SSC. I won't even bother visiting this part of the mountain or this series of trails on my next visit because I know they've since been opened up, chewed up and I'll just end up pissed off and disgruntled.
[/end rant]

, however, notice the black guys pants don't leave much to the imajination.

Jan. 28, 2010, 10:09 p.m.

Even more kids who Drinks-his-Forty-wiff-a-Straw will be skidding all over the damn place now.

Jan. 28, 2010, 11:26 p.m.

I see no issue with drifting into a corner and tossing a roost, its how you actually corner correctly. Live with it, dirt moves.

Tossing on the brakes through a turn I agree its being glamorized, all braking should be done prior to turn initiation. Good luck on your trail maintenance, trails are meant to be ridden, not looked at.

Discuss.

Took the words out of my mouth. Roost just happens when you are going fast ricocheting off of it. When going fast you hit the berm like a mogul to change direction not skid through it weee look at me :fruit:

But agreed the berm would last much longer if you slow way down to rail nicely.

Jan. 28, 2010, 11:55 p.m.

loam is gold dirt
if you came to ssc and raked out out "loamy" trails which is actualy just the organic dirt then obvioulsy its gonna get wrecked real quick, those old trails you speak of are fall line trails/old skidder rosds which also have terrible drainage
also this cutties trail and the all those types in that area are ex dirt bike trails which they have been using recently aswell

While theres definately alot of old skidder trails on the Coast not all of them are fall line and not all of them had poor drainage, and I know what loam is ;) . Cutties was a motocross trail years ago, same with Janets Jungle, Wills way, Chucks or whatever it was called and that little network of singletrack (can't remember all the names right now). They didn't look as beat until people were shralping them, well before the motocross guys got back in there again.

Anyways, the bottom line is this is the internet and I don't really give a fuck about it that much, I'm just saying that slashing corners and chewing it up is poor etiquette. I got off on a bit of a tangent after.