Rogue tree pruning on Severed

Jan. 2, 2015, 12:40 p.m.

Someone has taken it upon themselves to cut off dozens and dozens of branches along Severed. I understand that under the weight of snow or even rain, some branches are too low and are probably best removed. What I don't understand is the removal of any branch lower than 8ft even if they're growing away from the trail. Please please stop this. As the trail builder for Severed I've tried to keep as much tree cover as possible to help control the speed of the bikers, while removing a few branches to give safer sight lines for hikers (Severed is one of the most popular hiking trails in the area and was so long before bikes started using it).

If there's an issue post it on the conditions thread or let the NSMBA know. It will be dealt with.

I did catch a guy (Jeff?) in the act one day and tried to explain that wide open trails with long site lines encourage more speed for bikes meaning more danger for hikers. I don't know how much he is responsible for. I don't know about you, but I like to ride singletrack. Not highways.

Please, please stop this.

Sustainable will be around forever.

Jan. 2, 2015, 5:07 p.m.

Didn't see the troll.

But loved the work you have put into Severed over the years. Fist time on it since I moved 12 years ago. Thanks for your hard work.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 2, 2015, 5:12 p.m.

The trail is amazing! Thanks for the hard work! People are stoked. I thought it was a mountain bike trail, built by mountain bikers. I had no idea it was a hiking trail built by hikers. Wow

Jan. 2, 2015, 5:28 p.m.

The trail is amazing! Thanks for the hard work! People are stoked. I thought it was a mountain bike trail, built by mountain bikers. I had no idea it was a hiking trail built by hikers. Wow

Original/actual trail name is The Good Samaritan, a Baden Powell/Scouting reference.

The recent work is top notch for sure.

Jan. 2, 2015, 6:51 p.m.

Rode Severed today, wow was it running great. A bit of snow, but nothing slippery. The variety of riding on it is great, everything from drops, steeps, switchbacks, technical, cross country technical and just enough for a rider like me to go "whooooah" now and then!

When I was learning to ride the Shore I rode Severed early on, walked a lot of it and thought $[HTML_REMOVED]@#% this trail. Took me a few years to get back on it, wow am I happy I did.

Great work on the trail, I owe you a beer or three sometime.