Rock Retaining Wall?

March 5, 2013, 8:16 p.m.

Another thing to consider is using sandbags filled with a free draining material (sand or gravel) rather than placed rock. It is easier to build as the bags form to each other, it just isn't as nice looking. You could consider adding a row of rock for the top row for aesthetics/extra durability. If you are building any kind of wall, keep the height minimal (probably under 2-3'), as you don't want to hurt anyone if it topples over.

March 5, 2013, 8:35 p.m.

Another thing to consider is using sandbags filled with a free draining material (sand or gravel) rather than placed rock. It is easier to build as the bags form to each other, it just isn't as nice looking. You could consider adding a row of rock for the top row for aesthetics/extra durability. If you are building any kind of wall, keep the height minimal (probably under 2-3'), as you don't want to hurt anyone if it topples over.

Actually yeah, that would work better for the site. There's so much sand,mgravel and gold right there that sandbags would be the easiest option. As you said, I'll top the wall with rocks so tires don't slice the bags. Glad I posted up here, I would have never thought of that.

March 6, 2013, 9:47 a.m.

Actually yeah, that would work better for the site. There's so much sand,mgravel and gold right there that sandbags would be the easiest option. As you said, I'll top the wall with rocks so tires don't slice the bags. Glad I posted up here, I would have never thought of that.

Cypress is like a building wonderland, usually you are never far from either rock or cedar. It seems like a bit of a shame to bring in sand bags.

If you are really that low on rocks, is there cedar near by? If you have a chainsaw and a couple bodies, a few pieces of old growth cedar tongues and you can quickly frame up the corner. Maybe I'm old school but I always prefer to build with what is on hand if possible.

March 6, 2013, 3:58 p.m.

The only time I've seen sandbags on a trail, they deteriorated pretty quick (few seasons). They were the plastic ones and it seemed they just got damaged by the sun and fell apart. I think it would be top notch until the bags rip then you are left with loose material and back to square one.

I could be wrong though, maybe you can find some UV and rot resistant sandbags. I vote rock or cedar heheh

March 10, 2013, 12:19 a.m.

Do what Jeremy did with the rock berm he put in on CBC.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 14, 2013, 10:33 p.m.

Finally got up there and got 'er done! So we dug down to bedrock, put down a rock foundation by the river, and started piling sand bags. We piled 23 of 'em and topped it with about 10" of gold. We also raised the bridge up on one side to fix the camber (you're welcome dubprof ;) ). I think it'll last a long time. Here's the result:

We also cambered the corner so you can carry your speed over the bridge and minimize pedaling up the hill that follows. It will drain on the inside of the corner and off the bridge. The drain works, we tested it with buckets of water.

You can see a decent sized excavation in the first pic. Thanks to some transplanted ferns, it's naturalized again:

Big thanks to my friends who helped!

March 14, 2013, 11:06 p.m.

So, anyone want to come move rocks with me for an hour or so?

Only an hour? That's a LOT of work you did there. Very nice.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 14, 2013, 11:14 p.m.

Only an hour? That's a LOT of work you did there. Very nice.

Just an hour, or four

March 14, 2013, 11:31 p.m.

Any pics before you put the sand bags in of the actual rock work? Is it retained on the outer edge of the bank I can see some rocks but its hard to tell.

March 15, 2013, 8:03 a.m.

Any pics before you put the sand bags in of the actual rock work? Is it retained on the outer edge of the bank I can see some rocks but its hard to tell.

No rock work pics. We layed a base of big heavy rocks in the river before we started piling sandbags though, it's pretty solid.

March 15, 2013, 4:40 p.m.

Rides good!

March 15, 2013, 10:13 p.m.

Very good idea to work on that section. For some reason, that section always seems to sneak up on me [HTML_REMOVED] before I know it, I'm trying to not get a soaker. I guess it's the speed you get before the creek.

Thread killer