RIP - Natural High

Feb. 4, 2015, 7:23 p.m.

The top half of Natural High is now toast. Very sad to see. It was a great ride in the lower trails. It was short, but packed with stunts of varying difficultly.

I hope someone got the wooden trail sign (the builder, hopefully). I went up tonight and dug the trail marker up, but couldn't see the wooden one in the wreckage.

Hate to see us lose another piece of trail that had sections on it that were very challenging. It was a great trail to help with progression through various types of stunts. These kinds of trails seem to be the ones that are disappearing. Think about what skiing at Whistler would be like if they closed all the black/double black trails? We need to preserve some of those more difficult rides. They are part of what made the shore famous, and they are part of what pushes us to be better riders.

I literally rode Natural High hundreds of times. It was like an old friend. I don't think I'll ever feel that way about a parking lot…

Feb. 4, 2015, 7:36 p.m.

We sessioned the stunts last Friday night in perfect conditions. Got some good photos and one hairy crash. Sad to see it go.

Feb. 4, 2015, 8:19 p.m.

Best trail on the lower mountain.

How much has been taken out?

Feb. 4, 2015, 8:30 p.m.

This was hands down the best lower trail on the mountain. I'm sad to see it go, but I'm glad that I got the chance to ride it while it was around. It was one of the first trails I ever rode on the shore as I only moved here a few years ago and it served as a great introduction.

I'm not sure who built it, but if they come across this thread I'd just like to say thanks for building such a great trail. Your work was greatly appreciated by myself, my friends and many others I'm sure!

Feb. 4, 2015, 8:32 p.m.

How much has been taken out?

From what I saw yesterday, the first section with the optional drop or kicker over the log/small gap, and the log ride to swivel teeter. I'm not sure of how much that remains of the rest of the trail will be lost after the parking lot goes in. Hopefully what remains will be retained.

Feb. 4, 2015, 8:58 p.m.

Nooooo - I pretty much rode Natural High every time every I ride Fromme - NH then Griffen Switchbacks took me back to the car. Sad day indeed :(

Feb. 4, 2015, 8:59 p.m.

How about a new entrance with a road gap over the parking lot?

Feb. 4, 2015, 9 p.m.

Wow, that's super shitty. Whenever I do venture over to Fromme, I always ride (I guess rode?) Natural High. It was one of my favourites on the whole mountain.

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

Ride, don't slide.

Feb. 4, 2015, 9:02 p.m.

I got a lap on it a couple weeks ago and bailed really hard on the dimensional lumber right after the creek crossing.

From the flagging tape, it looked like they were clearing roughly up to the creek crossing.

What's the plan with grading on the parking lot? Are they going to be placing fill on the downslope areas they cleared to build them up? That could make for a mega-steep embankment ride into the remaining bit of trail.

Feb. 4, 2015, 9:23 p.m.

What's the plan with grading on the parking lot? Are they going to be placing fill on the downslope areas they cleared to build them up? That could make for a mega-steep embankment ride into the remaining bit of trail.

That would be a hell of a lot of fill. From what I can see from the plans there will be a steepish access off Mountain Highway down to the lot.

Feb. 4, 2015, 9:57 p.m.

Walked up from the bottom today and it looks like the trail should survive from the wood road that goes downhill right before the monster A Frame. I wish I'd taken the swivel "teeter totter" hardware out. A new entrance beside the parking lot, with a sharp right hand swivel back towards the old trail would have been cool.

That said, the DNV was probably happy to see those features go. I will be surprized if the big A Frame survives. Its very close to the parking lot and therefore a danger to unsuspecting riders who have just emerged from their vehicles…

It's great to see that others thought as much of the trail as I did. We need more trails like Natural High, not less. The riding on Fromme is SUPPOSED to be hard. That's why we like to ride there.

Feb. 4, 2015, 10:16 p.m.

Like those who have already stated above, Natural High was my usual exit trail in Fromme. I think that I rode it every time I went for a Fromme ride, which had added up to hundreds of times.

The wooden ladder bridge after the A-Frame was my first drop, and I remember how scared I rolling up to it. I think that NH is a perfect trail to gradually build up some skills. The A-Frame is a favourite stunt of mine that I hope survives the parking lot.

The dimensional lumber was the only real problem, super slippery in the wet!

RIP.

"Constant rage: could people f*cking up all the time be to blame?" - The Onion

Feb. 4, 2015, 10:26 p.m.

that sucks. i wasn't a big fan but my son loves woodwork - we went hiking on natural high for the first time a few months ago, and he was in awe, climbing all over the structures. i was looking forward to riding it with him one day

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Feb. 4, 2015, 11:47 p.m.

They paved paradise to put up a parking lot :(

I would have liked my sign and teeter pivot back.

Feb. 5, 2015, 2:51 a.m.

Really sad to hear, I liked it a lot and would have loved to ride it one more time. Props to the builders who did the work on it.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer