Ride with a Folding Saw

March 15, 2016, 9:56 a.m.

for medium

for roots

and of course a chainsaw for the big stuff but the bigger silky has cut down my chainsaw use drastically.

:canada:

March 15, 2016, 9:56 a.m.

The bucksaw in a tube isn't "new". I got that one in 2002. Setting it up wastes more time if you're using it in and out of the riding pack. I no longer use it but it does have the advantage of blade tension. The Silkys teeth are just so much sharper and longer lasting though.

You can see both my cheap folding saws are broken or bent. Both are on a second blade already, as is the Silky and the buck. Only the Fannos (wooden handles) have survived straight still.

Good beta Sven. I have an assortment of Silky saws at home with broken blade tips … some broken by people when I let them borrow it … the rest by me. but i hear you on the quickness of the folding saw versus a packable folder.

"You know what's wrong with Vancouver? You can't pee off of your own balcony without getting in trouble"
- Phil Gordon

March 15, 2016, 9:57 a.m.

if you buy the Silky saws from MEC, they will replace them for free.

:canada:

March 15, 2016, 9:58 a.m.

I have 3 of these, one in riding pack, one in building pack, one extra for, well, because. great value and performance

I also carry them in the door panel of my 4x4 as sometimes you need to trim small fallen or over hanging trees to get to the trail head.

March 15, 2016, 11:36 a.m.

the Silky saws don't reward a ham-fisted approach, either in cutting speed or in terms of the blades.

i've broken the tip off one blade but now just try to be a bit gentler and no problems. you also want to have the right size saw for the job as i find that if you're cutting stuff that's pushing the saw's length is when the tips are likely to get bent or broken.

i can see though that if you're loaning them out to people they will get trashed

March 15, 2016, 8:56 p.m.

Never let another touch your Silky.

Saw that is.

April 1, 2016, 6:53 p.m.

I picked up one of those cheap Filzers from MEC and was shocked at how well it ripped through some decent sized blow downs on 5th Horseman today. Cleaned up the middle of that trail nicely! It got through pines up to about 5 inches pretty quickly.

I needed a break from the terror!

April 1, 2016, 10:42 p.m.

Have a Tomboy with large??? teeth. Warped the blade a lil trying to speed cut once.

Can't carry the saw in a fanny pack though ;)

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 2, 2016, 5:37 p.m.

I picked up one of those cheap Filzers from MEC and was shocked at how well it ripped through some decent sized blow downs on 5th Horseman today. Cleaned up the middle of that trail nicely! It got through pines up to about 5 inches pretty quickly.

I needed a break from the terror!

Sweet! Thanks for the saw work.

April 3, 2016, 9:23 a.m.

Can't carry the saw in a fanny pack though ;)

Get the new rocky backcountry bike

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

April 3, 2016, 9:44 a.m.

Get the new rocky backcountry bike

That's the most extreme single-speed I've seen.

There's a place reserved in the mtn biking hall of fame for whoever figures out how to mate a chainsaw with a bike's drivetrain.

April 3, 2016, 7:47 p.m.

I liked the design of the filzer one. talked to the owner of the company about it. might pick one up as an alternative to the silky.

Phil (of Filzer) is a good dude. Mechanical engineer by training.

April 4, 2016, 9:14 a.m.

Phil (of Filzer) is a good dude. Mechanical engineer by training.

yeah! i met him at a trail day last year. rad dude. cool van. hah. wish mec still carried their product though. it was a nice selection of tools that didn't blow the bank.

"You know what's wrong with Vancouver? You can't pee off of your own balcony without getting in trouble"
- Phil Gordon