Not sure what to do with this terrain, ie: jump/drop/what?

July 20, 2012, 11 a.m.

I have a short trail in my backyard that I've been working on for a few months now. It's a cool little flowy trail, but the first drop in/jump has pissed me off since day one.

Unfortunately I don't have any pics of it's original state, but in the end we built this.

It's a nice jump, well built, but the problem is that the angles are all messed up. Apologies on my retarded artistry, but you can see how the terrain works here.

Finally, this is what you see when you're on the lip.

What options does one have here?

I don't like the jump as it doesn't feel right. I have considered doing a drop, or even just a simple pump into the tranny, but I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks.
:beer::beer::beer:

July 20, 2012, 11:03 a.m.

Just past this jump is a nice step up (with a side hit for the little groms).

Past this are two burm jumps that hit surprisingly well.

and finally, the tray jump (to a planned tranny)

It's not a bad little trail, and saves me from having to travel to get my ride on.
And the amount of respect I've learned to have for the trail builders is amazing. Those guys (and gals) are the backbone of our scene, as moving dirt is a hell of a tough job. But there isn't much else that gives me a feeling of accomplishment, as to see a raw piece of forest and turn it into something amazing.

July 20, 2012, 11:21 a.m.

I love a good drop to get you started.

I would just flatten it out a bit - more send less kick.

Just my $.02. However, on trail days I am asked to come out more for what is below my neck and less for what is above it.

Looks like a fun trail.

July 20, 2012, 11:46 a.m.

or back it up 2 or 3 feet

July 20, 2012, 11:55 a.m.

I love a good drop to get you started.

I would just flatten it out a bit - more send less kick.

Just my $.02. However, on trail days I am asked to come out more for what is below my neck and less for what is above it.

Looks like a fun trail.

yerr this is what my first impression was. I would think something like the step down next to the log ride on Dirt Merchant would be perfect…

July 20, 2012, 12:03 p.m.

or back it up 2 or 3 feet

That was what I thought too.

July 21, 2012, 7:29 a.m.

My building buddy has been saying the same thing for weeks, to move it back and put some effort into a landing box.

The cool thing is that since this area is above the trees, I can use the skid steer and small excavator. So maybe it's time to go bigger on the 80' run up to the trail?

There's a lot of room between stunts too. Like this view looking up to the first jump.

or roll past that area to the twin burm jumps.

There's a lot of wood in there, although it's become a lot harder to find. The low hanging stuff is gone. Now it's a trek to find and haul out fallen cedar. But it's worth it to build things like this.

7:30am on a wet saturday sounds like a great time to get started. Goodbye old jump!

July 23, 2012, 11:09 a.m.

Well, I decided to hit the trail last night and begin to dismantle the questionable jump.

It hurts to dig into a nicely packed piece of dirt, but I disassembled it gently in the hopes it will go back together easy in the future. I also was able to secure 3 mini dump truck loads of dirt. This gives me a lot of material to work with, and after thinking about it the options are endless.

I just need to get out of the office and to a shovel pronto.

July 26, 2012, 9:58 a.m.

While you may or may not back it up a little(this is determined by the speed you will carry into it), consider making the jump itself longer…like 8ft while staying at 3ft tall…essentially making it a nice smooth step down vs the up/down of a jump.

Lovin' the yard :beer:

July 26, 2012, 10:35 a.m.

Damn, I never thought of making it a longer jump, step down style.
The terrain in that spot is well suited for a step down, as there's no real need for the pop of a jump. After digging it up, I have the option to change it, and that's something I'm going to think about.

Also need to reload my rep gun.

Aug. 23, 2012, 7:12 a.m.

So what did u decide on for that first hit?
Did ya move that wicked framed jump back 3+ ft or what?
Updated trail shots please.

I can jump and turn my bars.