"No Horses" gets a makeover

March 2, 2009, 5:21 p.m.

The trail faeries have been hard at work over the last few weeks and have worked some magic on No Horses. All the braking bumps are gone, the last berm is now HUGE, and there is an amazing step-up in progress.

Here's a quick pic of an area of trail that used to cross the creek bed. It was slightly relined to line up with the new cedar bridge, and the turn after the bridge was re-worked as well. You can see the old line on the creek bed side of the new trail.

With a bit of tuning, the new "No Horses" will be a super fast rip with some amazing options.

I learned the hard way to towel off my bike before the dog. I'd rather have a slightly oily dog than a hairy bike.

Beautiful west coast, ocean inspired pottery.

March 2, 2009, 5:40 p.m.

Such a fun trail!

Nice work Doug!

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

March 2, 2009, 8:14 p.m.

Na, I can't take any credit for that. I just rode it the other day and was pretty impressed with what was being done to it.

I learned the hard way to towel off my bike before the dog. I'd rather have a slightly oily dog than a hairy bike.

Beautiful west coast, ocean inspired pottery.

March 2, 2009, 8:52 p.m.

mmm…Hornby

looks great!

March 2, 2009, 9:13 p.m.

It's been 4 years, need to get back to the sweetest single track I have ever experience

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

March 2, 2009, 9:27 p.m.

That looks like a great trail!

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

March 3, 2009, 8:42 a.m.

That looks like a great trail!

Yeah, I mean seriously, what's that brown stuff they have between the trees? :)

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

March 3, 2009, 8:51 a.m.

Yeah, I mean seriously, what's that brown stuff they have between the trees? :)

Dogsh*t… ;)

Where is it located? Looks good for the "Ripping Summer Tour".

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

March 3, 2009, 9:15 a.m.

Hornby Island. The ferry is from Vancouver Island, 40mins north of Nanaimo. Really fun flowy trails, nothing overly technical so its a great place for a variety of abilities.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

March 3, 2009, 9:56 a.m.

Mic, next time you're in Canada, come to Vancouver Island. Tom P can show you Cumberland and Campbell River, thebigchin can show you Hornby Island, Lorien can show you Sooke, I can show you what's left of Hammerfest (if there is anything left by then) if you don't mind riding with an old guy. You'll need two weeks at least.

thebigchin, that was Jeremy [HTML_REMOVED] Ira that did No Horses? How is the wind damage this year? I usually go over in the spring for a rake up sticks tour. The boat costs so much that I can't get over as often as I'd like.

March 3, 2009, 10:20 a.m.

How is the wind damage this year?

Our crew cleared 3 trees while we were there 3 weeks ago. Other than that the trails were mint.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

March 3, 2009, 11:53 a.m.

Dogsh*t… ;)

Where is it located? Looks good for the "Ripping Summer Tour".

The way things are looking, I think you need to spend about 2-3 months in BC to properly enjoy the goods. Otherwise, if you only have 2 weeks. Best to stay in one general area. Whistler/Pemberton can easily take up 2 weeks of riding.

The island can also easily take up two weeks of riding.

Vancouver and around can take longer. The interior (central, north, south) could take a month, maybe longer. Really, the choices are mind boggling.

March 3, 2009, 12:08 p.m.

The way things are looking, I think you need to spend about 2-3 months in BC to properly enjoy the goods. Otherwise, if you only have 2 weeks. Best to stay in one general area. Whistler/Pemberton can easily take up 2 weeks of riding.

The island can also easily take up two weeks of riding.

Vancouver and around can take longer. The interior (central, north, south) could take a month, maybe longer. Really, the choices are mind boggling.

I've been living here 8 years now, and still have to explore the island, the south and the north. Truely mind boggling how many awesome riding spots we have.

March 3, 2009, 12:21 p.m.

I've been living here 8 years now, and still have to explore the island, the south and the north. Truely mind boggling how many awesome riding spots we have.

I haven't even ridden everything in the lower mainland… :S

Check my stuff for sale!

March 3, 2009, 12:57 p.m.

God I love no horses. Some of my favorite racing memories are of bombing through there, catching a little air at the top of the steeper turns, the crowd lining the whole section…