Nicoles Pole - fully runged? Good or not?

Jan. 20, 2004, 7:33 a.m.

Anyway to go completely without chicken wire? That shit is a serious hazard. If you slip off the log, it cuts you up, or worse, you get a pedal snagged in it going down.

***Disclaimer: this post is in no way, shape, or form intended to insult anybody, anything, any animal, any lifeform, or non lifeform, or otherwise, of any kind.

Jan. 20, 2004, 8:53 a.m.

The pole is pretty good as it sits. I personally would like to see the entry to it fixed up, but that's just me. If you have some cedar how about fixing up the third A frame at the bottom of the pole. That's in pretty rough shape. If you need help let me know and I'll try and get out.

Jan. 20, 2004, 9:17 a.m.

Yeah it's pretty rough there. I suppose I could build a couple pieces for it.
I've noticed though, that hardly anyone rides the other two routes overtop. You'd think that it would be popular with those who don't want to do the whole pole section.

Jan. 20, 2004, 2:41 p.m.

Originally posted by [email protected]
I'd like to see it left alone. :)

me too.

I rode Mel's on saturday and wasn't too impressed by the alder/pallet wood ladder roll-down nearing the end. Two awesome riders had their tires slide right off of it, and there is a tree right in the crash-landing site. Oh, and a number of the rungs are ripped off, leaving exposed screws. The stunt is stupid and Mel's is not the place for it.

And the berms at the bottom of Nicole's left the corners in worse condition then how they were pre-"improvement"

Jan. 20, 2004, 2:44 p.m.

Originally posted by Phelonius
Yeah it's pretty rough there. I suppose I could build a couple pieces for it.
I've noticed though, that hardly anyone rides the other two routes overtop. You'd think that it would be popular with those who don't want to do the whole pole section.

I used to take that route regularly, but for the last year or so, in order to ride over the first A-frame, you had to either set it up yourself or check to see if it would fall-apart from under you first(the up-ramp).

The first ramp needs to be anchored properly so it's not always laying on thye ground beside the pole.

Jan. 20, 2004, 6:22 p.m.

That ramp is pretty secure now ryan, it got some work last fall. Check it next time you're through, it's got some support below and it's been fastened to the tree.
When I rode it last Saturday there was no wobble, it felt pretty good.

Whoever built those berms at the bottom didn't take drainage into account, just packed in soil.

Jan. 20, 2004, 8 p.m.

Leave the pole. The only time I can't ride it is in the snow. Even when its raining its fully rideable. If you're going to do anything just replace the rubber and junk on it.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada:

Jan. 20, 2004, 9:11 p.m.

Originally posted by ryan
**me too.

I rode Mel's on saturday and wasn't too impressed by the alder/pallet wood ladder roll-down nearing the end. Two awesome riders had their tires slide right off of it, and there is a tree right in the crash-landing site. Oh, and a number of the rungs are ripped off, leaving exposed screws. The stunt is stupid and Mel's is not the place for it.

And the berms at the bottom of Nicole's left the corners in worse condition then how they were pre-"improvement" **

Agreed.

Somebody also RUINED the end of Mels…Used to be a super fun channel cut naturally through the clay through the last corner..It was awesome to drop your tires in for the ride..now it has a lame 2 foot wide sidewalk over the entire thing.

How is that more fun? I hate it. There is no need to dumb down fun sections of trail. Shoddy building and building in general on SFU is only going to get things shut down.

Jan. 21, 2004, 2:59 a.m.

leave it, even with all the rungs broken and shit it's not a big deal.

Jan. 21, 2004, 9:36 a.m.

I don't know who did the work on Mel's, but I do know that the City has been looking at the drainage and erosion at that section of trail.
I spoke to a guy at City Hall about trail maintenance last year and he mentioned that particular spot as an area of concern. I guess because it drains into the creek that runs along Joes. I wonder if Bby Parks put it in?

Although that clay chute is fun to ride, that whole section isn't a great example for showing how Mtn Bikers don't erode trails. I remember how those switchbacks looked in the late 80's and early 90's…

Jan. 21, 2004, 10:59 a.m.

I think the ramps at the end of mels are a good addition, not because it makes the trail fun, but because it will definitely slow erosion processes on that section. Burnaby mountain is pretty sensitive, and as much as I love sinking my wheels into a nice carved out line I am also a bit of a treehuggin hippy at heart…

however…the ramp in the middle of mels is uncool.

Jan. 21, 2004, 11:19 a.m.

Yup, the ramp in the middle is green with slime, rickety as hell, off camber and shoots you right towards a tree.

All it is going to take is one person to wipe out, smack their head or some other body part on the tree, and require an E-Vac to put the trails at risk.

If it is still there when I ride there next I am going to take it down before someone gets hurt and jeopardizes the trail.

Jan. 21, 2004, 11:32 a.m.

Are you talking about the piece after the power lines where someone built it up on a deadfall? Right before where the trail starts to head down? Thin pieces of wood with screws?

I brought it up on this thread back in August.

http://bb.nsmb.com/newforum/showthread.php?s=[HTML_REMOVED]threadid=21959

If this is the same stunt were talking about, yeah I'm all for ripping it out.

Jan. 21, 2004, 12:55 p.m.

Yeah, same one. :)

Jan. 21, 2004, 12:57 p.m.

i agree, take it out. it was sketchy even when it was first built and didn't have any slime on it…