New Trails on Seymour

March 11, 2015, 6:01 p.m.

Just something for people to give their opinion on.

Some of the new trails built and being built on Seymour lately seem to cut across existing trails.

The new trails are great and if this is the best placement for them fine, but hopefully a committee or group discuss the best line for the trail before the build gets started.

The latest trail being built is the Penny Lane climb. It only goes 10 meters before crossing Shorn. Perhaps it could have started to the south and not crossed Shorn. Take a look at this the next time you are in the area.

I believe the trail system will be easier for visitors and locals alike to follow, as well as safer, if they do not zig zag across each other needlessly.

BFJCC - NSOBC
Ride'n the Shore since '84

March 11, 2015, 7:05 p.m.

A lot of thought and deliberation went into selecting the line for Penny Lane; and several experienced NSMBA TAP trail builders were involved in the decision making.

The selected line for Penny Lane was used for discussion and instruction in the NSMBA's Advanced Trailbuilder's Academy on line selection which was held Feb 21st. Much of the trail was built by the trail builder's academy, both on the 21st, and the following week.

The area below the lower bit of Shorn is the source of McCartney creek that flows between Severed and Applicator and not ideal for a trail location. Line selection must also consider sustainability of the line, including grade and the ability to manage water effectively. The potential for user conflict was also considered. All pros and cons were weighed thoughtfully.

At the Shorn crossing, Penny Lane is constructed to slow riders down at the intersection, with a tight, slightly awkward corner to make in order to cross the trail. There will also be trail crossing signs put in place (as well as signs indicating it is climbing only for bikes). Construction of the climb above the crossing is not yet fully complete and will include additional features to ensure riders slow (stop) before crossing.

Edit: There will be another advanced trail builder's academy (on climbing corners and rock retaining walls) at the end of this month.

March 11, 2015, 8:53 p.m.

That answers the question.

Would there be any value in rerouting Shorn onto the new Penny Lane and Penny Lane onto Shorn to avoid the crossing of trails. ?
Just the savings on signs may make it worth looking at.

Not trying to stir anything up, but just questions I had that may promote discussion and another view point.

Once again, the new trails are a welcome addition to the neighbourhood. All the trails are well built and show the skill of the trail builders. Thanks.

BFJCC - NSOBC
Ride'n the Shore since '84

March 11, 2015, 8:56 p.m.

Where will Penny Lane be climbing to? Between AA and Severed?

Ride, don't slide.

March 11, 2015, 9:44 p.m.

It's on a straightaway with plenty of visibility. It doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

March 11, 2015, 9:48 p.m.

Would there be any value in rerouting Shorn onto the new Penny Lane and Penny Lane onto Shorn to avoid the crossing of trails. ? .

That was looked at but it would be even more contentious, altering a popular trail, built by others, and enforcing a direction change. A couple extra cans of worms.

Where will Penny Lane be climbing to? Between AA and Severed?

It's just a little connector to take riders up to Severed, just above the root chute.

Sustainable will be around forever.

March 13, 2015, 5:44 p.m.

Just want to give a shout out the the NSMBA for all the great new trails on Lower Seymour!

New Severed entrance is amazing! works great with Asian Adonis, and fixing up upper Cbuster, the baden powell exit is a nice blast from the past of old school, but getting to the new climb of R[HTML_REMOVED]R, over to RT Connector, back then down to Cardiac and back up the Academy climb to Rapid transit to Salamander.

wow, loving the flow.

I haven't tried the new Penny Lane but I'm sure its another great trail that I can't wait to ride.

Thanks NSMBA, great work Mark!

March 14, 2015, 8:09 p.m.

Just want to give a shout out the the NSMBA for all the great new trails on Lower Seymour!

New Severed entrance is amazing! works great with Asian Adonis, and fixing up upper Cbuster, the baden powell exit is a nice blast from the past of old school, but getting to the new climb of R[HTML_REMOVED]R, over to RT Connector, back then down to Cardiac and back up the Academy climb to Rapid transit to Salamander.

wow, loving the flow.

I haven't tried the new Penny Lane but I'm sure its another great trail that I can't wait to ride.

Thanks NSMBA, great work Mark!

Agreed!

March 16, 2015, 12:57 p.m.

Construction of the climb above the crossing is not yet fully complete and will include additional features to ensure riders slow (stop) before crossing.

so dh riders on shorn will get right of way at that intersection?

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

March 16, 2015, 1:11 p.m.

Now there could be future plans that haven't been announced but I don't really understand this small parallel section of the trail either.

It was created to separate directional (climbing) traffic from Shorn but riders will have already climbed up a significant section of C-buster which is "downhill primary" and no different than climbing up another 100 feet of Shorn?

March 16, 2015, 1:43 p.m.

so dh riders on shorn will get right of way at that intersection?

That's an interesting idea Bryce, do you think riders would take notice of such a "rule"?

March 16, 2015, 1:55 p.m.

That's an interesting idea Bryce, do you think riders would take notice of such a "rule"?

Why not just have a small sign like they do in Squamish where the Climb trail crosses Half-Nelson? "Look left, high speed downhill traffic". You can still roll through but I definitely take a good look lest I get creamed by someone maching it. Seems to work fine and both those trails see lots of traffic.

March 17, 2015, 9:11 a.m.

Why not just have a small sign like they do in Squamish where the Climb trail crosses Half-Nelson? "Look left, high speed downhill traffic". You can still roll through but I definitely take a good look lest I get creamed by someone maching it. Seems to work fine and both those trails see lots of traffic.

I like that idea. It keeps the emphasis on the riders playing nice together without imposing rules

March 17, 2015, 11:14 a.m.

I like that idea. It keeps the emphasis on the riders playing nice together without imposing rules

Further to this, it might be good to ensure adequate sight lines at the crossing if possible. I know Shorn is fairly narrow, but thinning vegetation near the crossing to allow for a few metres of visibility could be helpful.

March 17, 2015, 11:16 a.m.

Further to this, it might be good to ensure adequate sight lines at the crossing if possible. I know Shorn is fairly narrow, but thinning vegetation near the crossing to allow for a few metres of visibility could be helpful.

Indeed.