New Legal Trails on Vancouver Island

Nov. 4, 2013, 2:43 p.m.

Back in action, a lot of new trail in there to get around property lines.

Nov. 9, 2013, 1:31 a.m.

They truly look good. Really have to come over any other time than summer…last time I was there access to Mt. Tzou was closed. Too dry.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Nov. 12, 2013, 2:26 p.m.

Maple was so much better before all this :( oh well, times change

Nov. 13, 2013, 9:20 a.m.

They truly look good. Really have to come over any other time than summer…last time I was there access to Mt. Tzou was closed. Too dry.

Are you thinking of Mt. Prevost (shuttling)? I've never heard of Tzou. being closed - there's housing developments all the way to the parking lot, so kinda impossible to shut down. You have ride to the top, there's never any vehicle access any time of the year.

Nov. 13, 2013, 9:31 a.m.

Maple was so much better before all this :( oh well, times change

Wow, a snarky useless comment not directed at Connor! You're moving up in the world! Maple may have been off the map before, but the trails were always under threat and now some of them have been made legit. That's progress, whether you like it or not, as it means the door is now open for further development of proper legal trails, ultimately benefiting the whole mtb community.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Nov. 13, 2013, 10:42 a.m.

Are you thinking of Mt. Prevost (shuttling)? I've never heard of Tzou. being closed - there's housing developments all the way to the parking lot, so kinda impossible to shut down. You have ride to the top, there's never any vehicle access any time of the year.

Dang. It was Prevost. Thanks for clarifying.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Nov. 13, 2013, 4:44 p.m.

I rode maple syrup/solarcoaster last weekend and was super impressed! It's a pretty long pedally ride now.

May 20, 2014, 10:04 a.m.

I was out at the cabin over the long weekend and ended up dropping off people in Crofton that were heading to Salt Spring. I have rode some of the Abyss trails in Nanaimo and always have a blast on them. I googled Crofton/Duncan area and had an impressive list of trails to choose from, ended up settling on Maple Mtn and glad I did.

Easy to find and get started. The climb up varies from mellow to quite steep (steep enough that I really was wishing I had a 2 x 10 in place rather than just 1 x 10. Got to the top of the mountain by the comm tower and had a quick break before heading into the trail. The way down is fantastic, with the layout utilizing the terrain and vertical very well. A couple of times as I came back across the mountain, I looked up and saw the trail only 10-15 feet above where I was currently riding. The trail reminds me of Sticks [HTML_REMOVED] Stones on Seymour, but bigger with some rock faces thrown in and quite a bit of climbing for a trail the goes down the mountain.

Thanks to the trail builders / maintainers as this set of trails was an absolute blast to ride. I will be back to ride this again (hopefully will have my 2 x 10 drive train in place for the climb).

Also a thanks to the local rider who I ended up riding with partway down Upper Maple Syrup who was shaking out the rust in advance of the race/relay the following day. One lap and I was done, he headed back up for more.