New Legal Trails on Vancouver Island

Nov. 2, 2013, 10:28 a.m.

Riley McIntosh and the Cowichan Trail Stewardship Society have been working hard for the past year to build some new legal trails on the island, and they are amazing! My buddy Mike D'antoni wrote up a post about it…check it out:

http://www.themountainbikelife.com/2013/11/maple-syrup-grand-opening.html

This is a major event on the island as we only have one area with legal trails the rest are pretty much unsanctioned. A huge thank you goes out to everyone involved.

Nov. 2, 2013, 11:09 a.m.

Now that is some awesome news. Congrats and one more reason to return to the Island some time.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Nov. 2, 2013, 11:22 a.m.

Yeah, really stoked on this legal addition to the island trails, come on over anytime man!

Nov. 2, 2013, 11:42 a.m.

good stuff!

Nov. 2, 2013, 4:54 p.m.

Great turnout. I think I might have to make a trip over soon.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=pH51rAX-G3o

Nov. 2, 2013, 6:23 p.m.

Do it man, not only is Maple a ton of fun, but the new trails at Tzhouhalem are amazing too…and then if you feel lucky there is always Prevost! And that's only in the cowichan valley….the island rules!

Nov. 2, 2013, 11:31 p.m.

We managed to make it over to check out the new trail and we also rode tzouhalem on Sunday.

Awesome area and definitely put it on your hit list.

The new Maple Syrup is great! It is the first sanctioned trail in the Cowichan. The Cowichan Trail Stewardship Society are keen and have a great relationship with the Municipality so the future looks bright!

The original techy line at the top is fun and in great shape too. You REALLY know when you get to the Riley inspired section though that's for sure!

Check out our weekend:
http://www.leelau.net/sharonandlee/cowichan-valley-not-just-another-vancouver-island-logging-town-but-your-next-mountain-biking-destination/

Old school start

New school new section

Tzouhalem

AND you can ride all year!

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Nov. 2, 2013, 11:41 p.m.

team puke retro jersey ftw

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Nov. 2, 2013, 11:42 p.m.

Awesome…I still have not ridden Mad Dog. Tzhouhalem is my favourite semi local mountain…so much flow and fun to be had there.

Nov. 2, 2013, 11:48 p.m.

minor correction on legal trails on Vancouver Island.

Hartland
Hornby Island
Snowden - Campbell River
AMC trails - Parksville
Fir Baby - Port Alberni
A few Regional District Parks on the island too such as Seal Bay Park and Nymph Falls.

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Nov. 2, 2013, 11:59 p.m.

minor correction on legal trails on Vancouver Island.

Hartland
Hornby Island
Snowden - Campbell River
AMC trails - Parksville
Fir Baby - Port Alberni
A few Regional District Parks on the island too such as Seal Bay Park and Nymph Falls.

Thanks! We will make some changes to the post to clarify…sorry about that.

Nov. 3, 2013, 10:19 a.m.

Thanks! We will make some changes to the post to clarify…sorry about that.

Maple Syrup is the first sanctioned trail in the Cowichan Valley, that's the distinction.

Great meeting you!

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Nov. 3, 2013, 10:49 p.m.

super awesome, hope more and more of this starts happening, grew up in vic, mtbing is huge on the island but it always felt like every riding area outside of the dump was getting a golf course or housing development (bear mt :( ) put on it all the time, at the same time as it was growing in a lot of other places.

Nov. 4, 2013, 8:16 a.m.

There is no mountain biking north of cumberland. truth. :)

BC Bike Race came to Campbell River, so must be something worth riding. We also have legal trails in Elk Falls Provincial Park, the Beaver Lodge Forest Lands, as well as the Snowden demo forest. I'd hazard to say Campbell River has more km's of legal trail than anywhere else on the island :shhh:

But nice work getting legal trails in Cowichan, I'd always wondered when I was working down there why there weren't more trails given the killer topography.

River City Cycle Club - www.rivercitycycle.ca

Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com

Nov. 4, 2013, 8:31 a.m.

There is no mountain biking north of cumberland. truth. :)

BC Bike Race came to Campbell River, so must be something worth riding. We also have legal trails in Elk Falls Provincial Park, the Beaver Lodge Forest Lands, as well as the Snowden demo forest. I'd hazard to say Campbell River has more km's of legal trail than anywhere else on the island :shhh:

But nice work getting legal trails in Cowichan, I'd always wondered when I was working down there why there weren't more trails given the killer topography.

Thanks for the update, CR has been on my list for the past few years but I have yet to make it up.

I have changed up that first paragraph to better represent the island.

Thanks for checking out the post…if you get a chance to ride maple I would jump on it…so much fun.