New Fromme Parking Lot - Surveillance??

March 15, 2015, 7:42 a.m.

Will the new Mt. Fromme parking lot being built have any sort of surveillance cameras to watch over the parked cars?

I can see this being target numero-uno for break-and-snatch thieves.

March 16, 2015, 8:03 a.m.

I suggested to dnv that a webcam would also be a good idea so that it will be possible to know how full the lot is before driving in. To help reduce traffic impacts for residents and riders on the road above the first gate. Security would be another good reason.

March 16, 2015, 8:48 a.m.

Will the new Mt. Fromme parking lot being built have any sort of surveillance cameras to watch over the parked cars?

I can see this being target numero-uno for break-and-snatch thieves.

Horrible idea to put cameras in the parking lot. We're watched all the time already, this is just a bad idea. I have had break ins to my car, hate it, but, I don't think cameras at a parking lot like this is the solution.

I suspect any thief would wear a balaclava and disappear into the woods. It's not a practical idea.

March 16, 2015, 9 a.m.

Horrible idea to put cameras in the parking lot. We're watched all the time already, this is just a bad idea. I have had break ins to my car, hate it, but, I don't think cameras at a parking lot like this is the solution.

I suspect any thief would wear a balaclava and disappear into the woods. It's not a practical idea.

I have nothing to hide and dont mind being watched in a parking lot. I would appreciate the video for safety for ladies and help cut down maybe on car theft.
fn theives….Webcam with recording not tough to do. We did it years ago for Cap river for checking the water level for ww kayaking.

March 16, 2015, 10:30 a.m.

I made the mistake years ago on Seymour of doing a spring time half day in the snowboard park and then half day on the bike. Now kids back then we didn't park at old buck or at Safeway. We used to park in this gravel lot across the road by the district works yard. It was a dark lot and was usually only used by a couple of cars at a time. Well buhbye to all my snowboard equipment. I was so naive back then thinking that thieves wouldn't be watching bikers leave their car unattended for 2 hours at a time in a secluded parking lot in the forest. Especially a car full of thousands of dollars in snowboarding equipment. After that we started parking at Safeway because break ins on bikers cars got so bad.

That being said this parking lot will be far more used than that old parking lot on Seymour. I would hope that with how busy it will be that the other trail users will be all the security you will need. It will attract thieves but these same thieves break into cars all over the lower mainland. In fact they quite often break into your car in parking lots that do have cameras. Even with video footage the police rarely catch these people. You will be missing a bunch of stuff and the cops will have a video of a non descript guy in a dark hoody smashing your window.

Besides adding security to this lot will add cost that will end up being passed on to the users and no one wants that.

March 16, 2015, 11:03 a.m.

I'm sure your tinfoil helmet will keep you safe.

Cameras are a good idea and lots of signs pointing to them, anything that deters a thief from thinking it's an easy target. In the grand scheme of the cost of the parking lot, the cost of a couple of cameras would be insignificant.

March 20, 2015, 8:29 p.m.

Don’t worry about it - Woodsie’s little Watchmen will be up there all the time practicing marching drills and doing elite training, and I’m sure that they’ll happily hand out swift beatings to anyone that looks suspicious.

May 16, 2015, 8:32 p.m.

Is that lot done yet or what??? You'd think they were building something more complicated than a parking lot… Are there big retaining walls required? Fancy drainage? Did they find some unexpected habitat/species/archeological goodies that weren't known pre-construction?

May 17, 2015, 5:37 p.m.

They built a big lock block wall. Took a few days.

May 25, 2015, 10:52 a.m.

They built a big lock block wall. Took a few days.

So it seems. It looks like there is more to do, as well.

It doesn't appear to have progressed much over the last week.

June 3, 2015, 3 p.m.

Sure…cameras, webcams, valets, [HTML_REMOVED] complimentary car-wash would be great!
The idea is that this parking lot will relieve congestion in the neighborhood. If you want a full security detail [HTML_REMOVED] an App to tell you how many spots are available, then park at the mall….or get a ride in a buddies POS clunker.
Geez…they're building a parking lot at the edge of the trails…this is awesome enough.

June 6, 2015, 7:02 a.m.

Is there really an app for reserving a parking spot there?

June 6, 2015, 7:07 a.m.

Sure…cameras, webcams, valets, [HTML_REMOVED] complimentary car-wash would be great!
The idea is that this parking lot will relieve congestion in the neighborhood. If you want a full security detail [HTML_REMOVED] an App to tell you how many spots are available, then park at the mall….or get a ride in a buddies POS clunker.
Geez…they're building a parking lot at the edge of the trails…this is awesome enough.

+1

If you guys are really that worried about security, I would think that the fact that there will be constant traffic in and out of the lot (by bikers/hikers) would be sufficient to keep out any sketchy people trying to steal stuff from cars.

Any updates on the completion date for the parking lot?

June 6, 2015, 7:42 a.m.

If you guys are really that worried about security, I would think that the fact that there will be constant traffic in and out of the lot (by bikers/hikers) would be sufficient to keep out any sketchy people trying to steal stuff from cars

Not really

There have been many thefts at the Mushroom and CBC lots in the past which were likely the busiest lots around before we all decided pedaling our bikes up the mountain was cool. Same with the Woodlot out in Maple Ridge

June 6, 2015, 9:13 a.m.

Is there really an app for reserving a parking spot there?

There better be! I don't want my latte going cold while driving around the car park trying to find parking.

treezz
wow you are a ass