New Expresso.

Nov. 25, 2013, 2:45 p.m.

Lower Skull to Ragdoll for some super gnar. Bookwus as well. Dirt Diggler… it doesn't end!

:canada:

Nov. 25, 2013, 3:13 p.m.

Okay, I'm gonna be the jerk here . .. .

The NSMBA has Espresso listed as 'advance to expert'.

http://nsmba.ca/sites/default/files/PDFs/MapOfFromme.pdf

Let's just call a spade a spade and now admit that it is no longer such. There are a few technical bits that, after this past TAP day I am sure are gone, but it is nothing more than an intermediate trail.

The conversation on this board proves it. There are kids that out ride me, no question, but when the posts are how a child on a hard tail is now biking espresso, let's all admit that it is an intermediate trail.

The days of the NS being 'The North Shore' are dying, it will live by reputation but not by trail difficulty.

Many may like the 'new school', I'm no fan, but I've come to accept that things are changing and the new generation doesn't ride like the old one. After years of trying, some very dedicated people finally got the organization in place to build and maintain trails, the irony is that it is resulting in the homogenization of the trails. Yesterday I shed a small tear riding the new work on Kirkford.

In order to make the new exrpesso ride like an expert trail - just get half cut on the way up…ride your big bike up real real slow - knock off a six pack and by the time you get to trailhead - VOILA! Expert trail. Problem solved.

And yea im with ya, but there are still NS trails out there for real….i just ride expresso as a night ride now for my kicks. Let the hoards of the new generation stick to the paved trails - less wear and tear on the good stuff.

I'm ignoring Smedley.

Nov. 25, 2013, 3:15 p.m.

Have you ridden Pile of Rocks lately?

Really? you wanna go there? Comeon….

I'm ignoring Smedley.

Nov. 25, 2013, 3:50 p.m.

get yourself a 3" hardtail with 6" rotors and they all go back to expert state.

best of luck.

Nov. 25, 2013, 5:06 p.m.

Really? you wanna go there? Comeon….

Pile of Rocks? A waste of vertical.

Thread killer

Nov. 25, 2013, 5:15 p.m.

I propose re-naming the new line " De-Caf "…. :-)

Nov. 25, 2013, 8:22 p.m.

I'm only 24 so I don't really fall into the old crop of riders, but I definitely prefer the gnarly, rocky, rooty, tech stuff compared to the more generally-preferred stuff of modern riding. Riding down the New Expresso, it didn't have the classic North Shore feel to it that I remember from when I used to ride here as a teenager. The Shore has a very unique feel to it because of the difficulty of the trails and I always found it very humbling. I get that mountain biking is probably more popular than ever before so we need to accept a broader base of individuals…but I think the point of having a forum is to have a place where we can all discuss our opinions without getting harassed. Some of the above comments almost seem disdainful of some of the old guys…that's not really necessary, there's room for everyone here. It's great that there are new, easier options for less experienced folks. It's great that most of the old classics are still around too. I love what someone said a few posts back…try the 'easy' trails on a XC hardtail; I've been trying that this season and it has been AWESOME…it's like a blast from the past like when I just got into the sport!:beer:

Nov. 25, 2013, 10:07 p.m.

There are kids that out ride me, no question, but when the posts are how a child on a hard tail is now biking espresso, let's all admit that it is an intermediate trail.

But it might not be who rides the trail, but how you ride it. My son, daughter and I all enjoy the new trail, but we all ride it very very differently and take different things from it. So sure, an 8 year old on a hardtail can ride it, but he's not pumping it, manualing through sections, or looking for places to maintain flow and stay off the brakes.

But yes, I'd agree the reroute is an intermediate trail. And the old, still available line, is the more advanced line. Nice to have both, no? Sort of like the options on Crinkum with the old chunder slot versus the newish reroute or the sally ally's on Upper Oilcan.

Bobsled, on the other hand, is a new trail that was built to be what it is… a trail to bring both a new love to the sport for learning intermediates and a super-fun little rip when ridden the way Endless Biking does in their pumping vid.

Lots and lots of new and old skool gnar to be had on Fromme and throughout the Lower Mainland.

Nov. 25, 2013, 10:59 p.m.

I propose re-naming the new line " De-Caf "…. :-)

I propose that the new line is called Expresso and the old line can be called Vocal Minority.

flickr

Nov. 26, 2013, 6:44 a.m.

Stale biscotti?

Nov. 26, 2013, 7 a.m.

New line should be "Macchiato".
All the caffeine and taste, just a bit smoother and less harsh.

Nov. 26, 2013, 9:04 a.m.

I propose that the new line is called Expresso and the old line can be called Vocal Minority.

who the powers that be don't give a shit about :werd::werd::werd::werd::werd::werd:

formally wernie

Nov. 26, 2013, 9:37 a.m.

but I think the point of having a forum is to have a place where we can all discuss our opinions without getting harassed

Agree.

Some of the above comments almost seem disdainful of some of the old guys

I think the tone of this thread seems much more respectful than past conversations about Expresso.

There is so much good riding around here, it's hard to fit it all in. Truth be told - if you're concerning yourself with the name of a trail, you're in a pretty good place.

Nov. 26, 2013, 10:31 a.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgES-kVJc28#t=92

Nov. 26, 2013, 11:53 a.m.

let's not forget that while there is currently a ton of 'gnar' on the shore, most is not protected:

Seymour - point me to the legal gnar? i know where the gnar on seymour is, and it's currently off the books
Cypress - most of the lower trails will likely end up being lost or sanitized like Stupid Grouse
Fromme - so far the trend in the last 2 years could appear to be that old trails are getting re-made into new school trails

my 2 cents is that many/most the remaining old-school lines on Fromme should be left alone. if new buff new-school trails are needed, that's great, but these should really be made as new trails.