New Expresso.

Oct. 26, 2013, 9:47 p.m.

there is some of the finest chunder in the land at the bottom, rode it fast and it was fine. still can't ride the entrance or smooth though

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Nov. 17, 2013, 1:17 p.m.

Thanks for the work. I checked out Expresso for the first time since the summer and it's really riding great. It will be a great all-levels option once complete (aside from the entrance). And there's still plenty of challenge if you look for it.

Nov. 17, 2013, 5:21 p.m.

Thanks for the work. I checked out Expresso for the first time since the summer and it's really riding great. It will be a great all-levels option once complete (aside from the entrance). And there's still plenty of challenge if you look for it.

Is another entrance going to be built that is more consistent with the rest of the new trail?

Nov. 20, 2013, 10:36 a.m.

We have been considering a new entrance below the creek. You can actually ride it clean now but it's pretty choppy.

Nov. 23, 2013, 4:33 p.m.

Yes I am one of the vocal minority as well. I really loved the old tech/chunder/gnar. I still love the old gnar and have ridden Expresso more since the potential for it to be dumbed down started to happen last year.

I want to thank the NSMBA/NSMB/MEC/Roxkshox for leaving the old trail as is. It is still great.

Today I finally rode the new trail for the first time, and did so with my 8 year old son on his 20" hardtail. It is a great piece of work. Nice and flowy and perfect for his skill level (I used the Digger entrance…). While the trail is not my type of trail for most of my riding, it is great for new and developing riders. For that, I thank all those who continue to build the trail.

One question, since there are really two trails, will the new one get a new name?

Pictures attached.

Nov. 23, 2013, 8:40 p.m.

We have been considering a new entrance below the creek. You can actually ride it clean now but it's pretty choppy.

That ladder bridge is quite the iconic feature.

Nov. 23, 2013, 9:07 p.m.

Great shot sublime. The new Espresso is a nice addition both for new riders and the groms, but also for those days when you just need to ride to clear your head and not stress.

My kids both have loved the changes. Me and the 8 year old headed up to 7th, Leopard, Crinkum and then a finish on the rerouted Bobsled.

The new work at the bottom of Crinkum deserved commendation and forget the haters, the reroute on Bobsled is more in keeping with the intent of the trail.

Good work builders. Many ongoing thanks.

Nov. 24, 2013, 8:25 p.m.

I didn't know there were haters on the Bobsled reroute… that spot has needed to be changed since day one.

Another sweet section of Expresso is coming together with 42 (!) people out at today's NSMB.com/RockShox trail day.

flickr

Nov. 25, 2013, 7:55 a.m.

Rode Expresso on Saturday. Kudos abound!

I like the new Bobsled too.

e-hi-5

Nov. 25, 2013, 11:35 a.m.

Okay, I'm gonna be the jerk here . .. .

The NSMBA has Espresso listed as 'advance to expert'.

http://nsmba.ca/sites/default/files/PDFs/MapOfFromme.pdf

Let's just call a spade a spade and now admit that it is no longer such. There are a few technical bits that, after this past TAP day I am sure are gone, but it is nothing more than an intermediate trail.

The conversation on this board proves it. There are kids that out ride me, no question, but when the posts are how a child on a hard tail is now biking espresso, let's all admit that it is an intermediate trail.

The days of the NS being 'The North Shore' are dying, it will live by reputation but not by trail difficulty.

Many may like the 'new school', I'm no fan, but I've come to accept that things are changing and the new generation doesn't ride like the old one. After years of trying, some very dedicated people finally got the organization in place to build and maintain trails, the irony is that it is resulting in the homogenization of the trails. Yesterday I shed a small tear riding the new work on Kirkford.

Nov. 25, 2013, 11:55 a.m.

I'm not sure anyone is arguing with you Myk.

And if you have been up there you know that the original trail is still there and gnarlier than ever. You are welcome to ride it and report back to us. I think you'll agree that it's still an advanced to expert trail.

There was a time when I had a similar perspective on trails. I needed stunts and high level challenges (for me) or it wasn't fun. What changed later on is that I added to my skill set, with help from Shaums March and others, and now I can enjoy myself on many different trails. This may not be you but it may apply to others who share your criticism. It may also explain why local riders at the highest level rarely share the concerns you express here. I do know a few very skilled riders who, like you, seek out built features and technical challenge while avoiding trails like the reroutes of Expresso - but they are in the minority. Perhaps this doesn't apply to you but I would bet that some of the riders who share your opinion might benefit greatly from a lesson or two from Endless Biking or some of the other operations that do coaching. Cornering skill, pumping and effective braking are essential skills to have a good time on lines that flow - but you can do fine on Upper Oilcan or Lower Digger without these in your toolbox.

And, as I have said before, if you are having trouble finding challenging trails you aren't looking hard enough. There are still plenty out there.

Thanks for adding your voice to this discussion.

Nov. 25, 2013, 12:01 p.m.

What I'm excited about is not having to hoof it to Squamish, Whistler or the Valley if I want to ride with my gf. Thanks for adding variety to our local network!

Nov. 25, 2013, 12:28 p.m.

Cam, thanks for the reply, I was expecting to be called all sorts of names !

One thing that I joke about with my friends, I'm getting older. I'm over 40, I'm really enjoying a lot of the 'old school' trails, but as I get older I'm pretty sure I'm going to ride and appreciate the new stuff more and more !

As I get older maybe I'll get grumpy, just likely it will be about "all these kids with no respect for us old timers", I'll be asking for a dedicated 'old guy' spot at Dempsey-Braemar and wanting prunes to go with my after ride pint.

Nov. 25, 2013, 12:34 p.m.

What I'm excited about is not having to hoof it to Squamish, Whistler or the Valley if I want to ride with my gf. Thanks for adding variety to our local network!

:werd:
I'm in the same boat as you. My wife has REFUSED to ride anything on the North Shore other than Bobsled or Richard Juryn so we're constantly riding Alice Lake or above QuestU in Squish. But the new line on Expresso and non-woodwork lines on Pipeline definitely open the upper mountain to Begintermediates who are looking to work on more technical skills and I'm pretty sure she'll try them next year (although, I'll probably still get yelled at…). Amazing work up there by all those involved.

Normally I'd say "looking forward to more riding next season"…but this season doesn't ever want to end!! So many psyched riders on Fromme yesterday!

Nov. 25, 2013, 2:15 p.m.

The days of the NS being 'The North Shore' are dying, it will live by reputation but not by trail difficulty.

Many may like the 'new school', I'm no fan, but I've come to accept that things are changing and the new generation doesn't ride like the old one. After years of trying, some very dedicated people finally got the organization in place to build and maintain trails, the irony is that it is resulting in the homogenization of the trails. Yesterday I shed a small tear riding the new work on Kirkford.

Have you ridden Grannies, Digger, Upper and Lower Crippler, Boundary, Upper Oil Can, Bookwus, Lower Ladies, or Pile of Rocks lately? None of them have been "homogenized".

The work on Kirkford is being done by Pete Morin, Expresso is by Digger. Neither are exactly the new generation. I'd say it's the old dogs learning new tricks of sustainable trail building.