Ned's Atomic Dustbin (Seymour): Entry Bridge Work required

Oct. 22, 2018, 8:09 a.m.

I'm not sure if I'm the only one who still enjoys blasting down Ned's on Seymour but I've noticed that the entry log bridge over an initial muddy section is getting more and more off camber.  It looks as if the stump that originally supported the center section is slowly rotting out and falling over.  Its getting bad enough that its barely rideable in the wet (don't turn your front wheel or use your brakes!) and pretty much impossible if there is wet snow on it.

I looked at tackling the repair myself but it looks as if it will take quite a bit of work to jack / pull (come-along?) the bridge back into place (so that is level again) and then put some new supports under it.  At the very least it would be very time consuming for one person to do by themselves without the right equipment and experience.  The other issue is the politics behind doing the work.  I have no idea if this is Metro land, CMHC land or who is in charge of this particular area.  Anyone here know if this is something that the NSMBA could take care of or would it have to be done on the down low?  Is Ned's a fully sanctioned trail?

Oct. 22, 2018, 9:35 a.m.

Ned’s is on Metro land but I don’t know if there’s any sort of builder agreement in place with the NSMBA. Maybe best to send the NSMBA an email about it. Ned’s is a sanctioned trail.

Last edited by: syncro on Oct. 22, 2018, 9:36 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 22, 2018, 4:01 p.m.

Correct, Ned's is on Metro-LSCR land. (And I also quite enjoy it!) 

The NSMBA does not have permits to do work on Ned's (or CBC). 

You can (and should) email the LSCR with your thoughts and concerns: [email protected]

Oct. 22, 2018, 6:08 p.m.

Thanks Cooper for clarifying this.

I do hesitate to involve Metro in anything related to Ned’s or CBC because they seem to only be interested in dumbing things down and decommissioning everything else. Frankly I don’t want Ned’s buffed out; other than this one issue I like it the way it is! I guess I also need to express that to them but it sure seems like they don’t get it from some of their past actions.

Have they given any rationale behind not sanctioning NSMBA maintenance on these trails?

Last edited by: Xorrox on Oct. 22, 2018, 6:20 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling
Oct. 24, 2018, 1:33 p.m.

I'm sure (?) Ned's will eventually see maintenance. I've got no idea when that will be - at this point it would be a HUGE project. Permits on Ned's are not something the NSMBA is asking for at this point. I also enjoy it in its current state, but lets be honest.... Its a bit of a mess. Its practically just a creekbed at this point, and in need of some serious love. Its great if you really hate your rims, or REALLY want to test their impact strength.

Would any work or potential upgrades (I'm aware this can be interpreted in many ways...) change the trail? Yep. But, it used to be a loamer, so I mean... trails change. It would be different from its original state, and its current state. And the iterations and gradations between the two.

I wouldn't...... necessarily say Metro is only interested in dumbing things down, but they do have a different idea of 'acceptable risk'. Its also a slightly odd situation - that side of Seymour (the 'Metro Van' portion) isn't managed by Metro Van Parks as you might initially expect, the LSCR is managed through Metro Water Operations - so while recreation happens on their lands... they don't really have a recreation mandate, per say.

IMO, its always worth emailing land managers, especially for potential safety issues like this, as long as you're doing it respectfully and with legitimate questions, comments, or concerns. You're also welcome to email me to discuss this or anything else. ([email protected]) I honestly don't check the forums here much, but someone pointed me at this thread.

Last edited by: cooperquinn on Oct. 24, 2018, 1:33 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 24, 2018, 7:58 p.m.

Thanks Cooper for your comprehensive and detailed answer!  I guess I need to get off my a$$ and write an email.

Now that I have my rim and tire setup dialed (procore aired up to 85 psi front and 95 psi back) I really enjoy bashing “the creekbed” at full speed.  One of my most enjoyable / memorable rides ever was a solo night ride on Ned’s in the middle of a winter downpour with a full on creek running down the upper section of the trail. Total ‘stream’ (pun intended) of consciousness free ride chaos: So fun!!!  I think I ended up in the creek at some point but my memory is a little hazy :)

Oct. 29, 2018, 10:44 a.m.

Write that email! It doesn't have to be some giant novel - a short, respectful, coherent note goes a long way. And don't be afraid to just keep at 'em. 

And, yeah. I'm always happy to help people who want to get engaged do so. 

Its gonna be the horse I keep flossing.