Neds

March 4, 2009, 7:21 p.m.

I guess when the public puts in the same effort as the builders do, they can have a say in what stays and what goes.

This is an interesting comment. Are you perhaps suggesting that once you put a shovel in the ground on "public" lands that you have the right to "dictate" "unilaterally " how it is to be used? If that is your thinking I believe, with all due respect, you are very much misguided.
Cheers
Mtb rider on the Shore since 1995

March 4, 2009, 7:29 p.m.

This is an interesting comment. Are you perhaps suggesting that once you put a shovel in the ground on "public" lands that you have the right to "dictate" "unilaterally " how it is to be used?
Cheers

Yes.

MTB rider on the Planet since 1987

treezz
wow you are a ass

March 4, 2009, 7:36 p.m.

Nice to see Neds become a true downhill trail again. .

Again??????
I seem to vividly recall riding that trail on my ridgid (yes rigid) XC bike back in the late 90's…not a friggin' DH rig in sight. Very likely it was an XC trail at the beginning and then perhaps it was "forcibly" (sp?) hijacked by the DH folks?
cheers

March 4, 2009, 7:39 p.m.

Yes.

May I suggest to you, with the utmost respect, that perhaps you should consider moving to a country such North Korea where such thinking is appreciated (it certainly is not in a democratic nation such as Canada)
cheers

March 4, 2009, 7:41 p.m.

I use to use Neds as a xc loop back in the day and it actually was mainly Loam. Once was one of my favorite trails, not so much anymore. I am however really looking forward to watching the DH race coming up.

Master of Puppets

March 4, 2009, 7:48 p.m.

Not to put to fine of a point on it:

Yours truly, Bicycle rider on the planet since 1958.

March 4, 2009, 8:22 p.m.

This is an interesting comment. Are you perhaps suggesting that once you put a shovel in the ground on "public" lands that you have the right to "dictate" "unilaterally " how it is to be used? If that is your thinking I believe, with all due respect, you are very much misguided.
Cheers

Trail building is a democracy.

But you vote with your shovel.

-D

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

March 4, 2009, 8:31 p.m.

And the more tools/time spent on the trails = more votes!

March 4, 2009, 8:58 p.m.

Cheers

So… how many trail days have you attended since '95?

I couldn't care less if you've been riding the shore since 1965 … what matters is giving back to the community and the trail system. What exactly have you put back into the bike trails which you obviously enjoy using? Suggestions/ideas/comments don't count.

I don't really see a point in sugar coating this.

You don't give back to the bike community thru some way? Then too bad, so sad, you really have no say with most builders. That's the reality whether you like it or not. Most just don't come out and say it this way.

You want a say - get involved in the NSMBA and put some labor in. In this way you will meet the people who make the decisions and maybe get to make some yourself.

March 4, 2009, 9:15 p.m.

I couldn't care less if you've been riding the shore since 1965 … what matters is giving back to the community and the trail system. What exactly have you put back into the bike trails which you obviously enjoy using? Suggestions/ideas/comments don't count.

You don't give back to the bike community thru some way? Then too bad, so sad, you really have no say with most builders. That's the reality whether you like it or not. Most just don't come out and say it this way.

You want a say - get involved in the NSMBA and put some labor in. In this way you will meet the people who make the decisions and maybe get to make some yourself.

welcome back from your hiatus, nice post to return with.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 4, 2009, 9:15 p.m.

Wow~ this thread is getting quite derailed. Admittedly I don't know what Neds was like back in the day, and I apologize for making it sound as if it was a DH trail to begin with. However, any attempt to refer to Neds as an XC trail is also quite misguided.

When it comes to ownership of a trail, the permitted builder can be assumed to be working on behalf of the landowner. Therefore, they have the basic right to do what work they see fit on the trail as long as it fits within the scope of such said permit. Feedback from the public should be considered in the course of such work, but the ultimate decision lies with the person doing the actual work.

For example, expecting that a builder will be content to drain puddles and clean the doggie poo off the trail for everyone is naive. They have a vision and a desire to put their ideas into action. That vision does not always match with the the wishes of the entire user group on the trail, but such is life.

March 4, 2009, 9:25 p.m.

However, any attempt to refer to Neds as an XC trail is also quite misguided.

then you're going the wrong way.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

March 4, 2009, 10:19 p.m.

hehe, guess I must be~

March 5, 2009, 12:24 p.m.

any attempt to refer to Neds as an XC trail is also quite misguided.

why isn't it an xc trail?
its been used almost every year since the late 1980s for xc racing
such as DirtyDuo 2000 to 2008 and Hell of the North even earlier
even in 2007 and 2008 with snow at the top it was a perfect xc trail for the DirtyDuo

poodle paths are not xc. "xc" mean cross country, as in going where there are no roads

March 5, 2009, 1:24 p.m.

First of: Starting your reply with e.g. SO… may not set a good tone
Anyway I digress…

Too many to remember e.g. Shore(including fairly recent "rock bitching" on Bridle Path) , Bby mtn., Eagle/Belcarra, Squamish, volunteering at Test of Metal, etc. etc. etc. you get the idea.

The reason I mentioned riding the Shore since 1995 so I would not get flamed as some rabid anti MTB crusader (and we have seen plenty of examples of that on this forum…I admit some were perhaps justified).

My main point is: I had no opportunity to provide input before the…I hesitate to call it "Chainsaw Massacre" as it brings back bad memories of Cypress, that was apparently performed on the woodwork last weekend (woodwork that I have enjoyed riding BTW)and before the apparent decision to revert a trail which is on public land to a DH course was made.

Anyway it is all moot now since the deed is apparently done.

Perhaps in future we could put proposed actions re major alterations of trails on public lands to the test on this forum(because we are all working for a living and don't always have time to attend meetings in person) This way the larger MTB community is aware and has a chance to voice opinions BEFORE apparent unilateral actions are taken. Would be a great improvement IMHO over what appears was a unilateral decision in Ned's case.
Cheers