Natural High

Feb. 11, 2006, 10:14 p.m.

Hi Everyone

I'm Spearheading the repair and resurection of Natural High.

I have co-ordinated and obtained a permit for the project from the District and have the support from the NSMBA.

For those of you who don't know, Natural high is an old, fun little trail at the base of Fromme, Its is over 10 years old (some say 15), and it is in terrible shape.

The district was considering tearing it out because of the unsafe conditions, so I have volenteered my time to save it and am trying to gather some more people to help repair, improve and reinforce the trail, I have collected a lot of material and tools and have hooked up with 2 other guys who are stoked on the project.

The district has provided some guide lines as to what can and can't be built, as well as requesting that one of the original lines be removed (the sky-bridge). They also ask that we try to minimize our impact on the forest around the trail while working, and that we reinforce and replant the edges of the trail as we complete each section. (they are providing plants as needed). There are a few more design restictions, but for the most part, we can re-construct and repair the rest of the trail.

This is a slideshow of the trail as of January 01 2006.

http://media.putfile.com/Natural-High-Virtual-Tour

This is a map of the work that I wish to see done, and that the district has approved.
(Note: the Trail is designed with a "Blue-Line" as an alternate route around many of the original "Black-Lines", the notes about "New" Lines are added to replace features that were removed or to avoid sensative natural features that the current trail is cut through.)

If ya wanna help out, Shoot me a PM.

The King of E-Ville
Welcome to "E-ville"
population "Me"

Feb. 12, 2006, 8:29 a.m.

Lets see some pics from the great work you guys did yesterday!

Feb. 12, 2006, 12:06 p.m.

Knnn took some… I hope he posts them

Man, am I sore today. There is nothing like a big day of trail building to show you how out of shape you really are.

I think we got a really good start on the first 100' feet. but there is a long way to go.

I am thinking of making this a Trail Log like Synchro has.

So keep watching for trail info and updates.

I would like to thank the following people for helping on Saturday

Grounded for life,
Knnn (and David, his 9 year old son, who worked hard for 6 hours without complaining),
Sketchy Flanders (nice to meet you),
Heckler (thanks for the guidence,
Karen
and Graham for the District of North Van.

I think this trail resurection is off to a good start, I have been given great help for the NSMBA, and they are supporting our efforts to repair the unsafe conditions of this flowy trail.

Natural High is a great training ground and entry level trail for learning bike handleing skills, One of the local Bike Camps is even offering to come and do maintenance as part of the camps progamme for educating the students about trail work. I think this is going to be a Cooporative approch to trail maintenance as opposed to lone ranger style trail work, I look forward to the experience this summer and welcome any help from beginner to expert.

The King of E-Ville
Welcome to "E-ville"
population "Me"

Feb. 12, 2006, 1:06 p.m.

I feel great.

Team Crafty

Feb. 12, 2006, 7:46 p.m.

Photo 1 looking down from road to new ladder jump/roll. You can't see it but cedar 2x4's have been placed across run in to slow erosion.

Photo 2 side view of Stunt 1 with roll down on other side and small novice jump to the side at the approach.

Photo 3, new drainage before Stunt 2 and trail defined/constrained by logs to side.

Photo 4, rebuilt Stunt 2. Photo shows new rockwork before ladder and to the right for easy novice ride down. This ladder is now constructed on cedar rounds and is no longer nailed into the adjacent trees. Cedar ladder still needs to be trimmed up/beautified with chainsaw.

Photo 5, work is still in progress on Stunt 2 with a skinny to the left hand side and a steep roll at the end of the ladder.

Thanks to Scott for trying out the first jump, which looks solid with nice flow into Stunt 2.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

Feb. 12, 2006, 9:08 p.m.

Guys, that looks awesome. Thanks so much for fixing up this trail!

Feb. 12, 2006, 9:14 p.m.

I'm going to improve the downramp on stunt 1.

I've got a great cedar plank for it. Make it rollable by mortals.

PS - did two laps on Seymour today. Worked out the kinks pretty good.

Feb. 12, 2006, 9:25 p.m.

great job guys… its amazing how much better those stunts look after the work

Feb. 13, 2006, 9:21 a.m.

Heckler, I have a plan for that stunt too,

how about a skinny to a tranny,

we build a bit of a tranny at the landing zone of that launch, then connect the lip of the ramp with a skinny (6" step down to the skinny).

if we build it right, you can clear the whole think to the tranny, or you can roll it at slow speed. but if you try to jump and come up short, hopefully the skinny will save your ass

The King of E-Ville
Welcome to "E-ville"
population "Me"

Feb. 13, 2006, 9:22 a.m.

Guys, that looks awesome. Thanks so much for fixing up this trail!

we have not fixed the whole trail. only about 5%, but thanks for the support

The King of E-Ville
Welcome to "E-ville"
population "Me"

Feb. 15, 2006, 4:44 p.m.

is that milled?
is that cedar?

ride more, post less.

Feb. 15, 2006, 5:28 p.m.

its milled cedar….

we and the NSMBA scored it at Able Auctions in the summer, it was aton of rough sawn cedar off cuts that were going to scrap. we got a few trailer fulls for free, all we had to do was dig thru the huge piles to find the good sections, and we just cut away the scrap. Its true 2x4 and 2x6, some are 8' long

I wish I could use split cedar, but as you all know, there is not much of that left this low on the mountain. We have soem cedar rounds up there that we will split up for some of the shorter/steeper bridge work. but for these long ones, we are gonna use the milled stuff.

The King of E-Ville
Welcome to "E-ville"
population "Me"

Feb. 15, 2006, 6:54 p.m.

Here's the pile of cedar we got it from.

And here's what I did with the 2*2's that I got… It's a great beer table for next to the hottub after a day of digging in the dirt.

Feb. 15, 2006, 8:57 p.m.

Hey Knnn post before and after pics and I'll put something up on the nsmba site.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Feb. 15, 2006, 9:24 p.m.

wow im gonna have to ride it soon

Im Just A Guy Stoaked On Riding:canada: