Natural High

May 10, 2008, 5:10 p.m.

Thanks to the gang who carried that huge cedar stringer down from the road today. That was a big help.

Great to see so many smiling faces out there today, makes you realize all the bitching and moaning, politics on here just aint worth stressing about, just out and ride and it's all good.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

May 11, 2008, 4:45 p.m.

Well the last original structure on Natural Highly finally bit the dust when one of the stringers broke in half, so it was time for a new ladder bridge, as follows:

Here is a photo of the original structure, before we put in the rock roller coaster:

A slightly modified ladder bridge after the original ladder was shortened and the rock roller went in on the right hand side, providing a nice tyranny for the end of the ladder:

After demo the first post goes in (a good 2 [HTML_REMOVED]#8211;3 feet into the ground):

All posts, stringers and cross braces are debarked before use to promote longevity:

A second post goes in and they are trimmed to the right height:

Cross brace goes on top and the stringers are sized up (Note trail builders friend in the foreground):

A second support is put in mid way along the stringer span and the stringers are sized up one last time (measure twice, cut once) and checked for level. (Think we built it burley enough?);

Cross braces and stringers are notched to maximize strength and stability for nailing (12 inch galvanized in this case) and rungs are added. The rungs were salvaged from the original structure and others as we want to support the DNV[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s BMP[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s and pursuit of maximum trail sustainability :rolleyes:

Once the rungs have been nailed down (5 inch galvanized) the new ladder bridge looks like this:

One from the top of the A frame and yeah; it's a long way down!

Hopefully this one will last a little longer and provide many more years of fun.

Njoy.

May 12, 2008, 7:59 a.m.

So sexy. Oh my lord, that looks so good! Nice work guys!

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

May 12, 2008, 9:24 a.m.

the epitome of sustainability I would say!

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

May 12, 2008, 10:33 a.m.

Hey Knn, Hey Ducati.

Thanks Guys, another masterpiece of overconstruction. I love how solid you guys build everything. Now you need to build a wall ride to help get around that tree which is right in the trajectory of that ramp.

Knn, Sorry I did not make it up there saturday AM, I just saw the posting today. Next time Call me, or email me at work, I do wanna get back into the woods and sweat a bit.

Have either of you guys tried the worlds most burly drop? (Was worlds worst ladder ever)

I am looking at it, and think I will have to do it this summer. Besides the big rock (Which I do not wanna try) I do everything else on NH except that drop. It looks smooth and do-able for my skills, I'm just wondering how it actually flows (anybody got comments/stories?)

The King of E-Ville
Welcome to "E-ville"
population "Me"

May 12, 2008, 12:56 p.m.

I'm just wondering how it actually flows (anybody got comments/stories?)

By all accounts its smooth as butter.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

May 12, 2008, 1:54 p.m.

NH flows very well. Almost too well because it's over before you know it.

That tall rolldown from the stump isn't too bad at all when dry and the drop afterwards hits about as hard as a 2 footer to flat. Just watch that stump rolldown in the wet because you won't be able to scrub off much speed without eating dirt and will find yourself hurtling toward the upcomming drop far faster than you want to.

May 12, 2008, 5:28 p.m.

Have either of you guys tried the worlds most burly drop? (Was worlds worst ladder ever)

I am looking at it, and think I will have to do it this summer. Besides the big rock (Which I do not wanna try) I do everything else on NH except that drop. It looks smooth and do-able for my skills, I'm just wondering how it actually flows (anybody got comments/stories?)

Just watch your speed, I hit it too fast and landed near the bottom of the rock tranny (dorp to falt?) and it was a little rough.:lol:
Daryl

May 12, 2008, 5:42 p.m.

nice work. those old rungs are looking pretty wimpy on your stringers :)

we've found some other great uses for old bridge rungs, but i can't really post about it on here …

May 12, 2008, 8:12 p.m.

nope I'm out with a duff knee at the moment, but I have seen lots of folks do it, slow or quick and all the reports say it's pretty smooth. The drop is not that high, it's just you are high up when you start and that messes with my head.

we've found some other great uses for old bridge rungs, but i can't really post about it on here …

Ok now I'm intrigued, PM ?

May 12, 2008, 9:24 p.m.

wow that looks really sick. i want to do that stump roll..looks fun.

May 13, 2008, 12:16 a.m.

Built like the druids. Nice. :)

May 13, 2008, 1:16 a.m.

Wow. One more proverbial Brickshithouse of the Amazing Duo.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

May 23, 2008, 10:18 a.m.

I rode NH last night at about 6:pm and came across 3 young teenagers building something at the downhill side of the sky bridge. I asked if they had talked to anyone about building there and they said 'no'. I told them that all the building on NH was planned [HTML_REMOVED] organized and that the work was permitted by the DNV. I suggested that they check here if they want to help, but shouldn't be building on their own. Thought you should know.

May 23, 2008, 10:34 a.m.

Did you at least beat them up? No?
….:(….:crybaby:

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer