Musing about 5620: new Revelstoke Bike Park trail

July 17, 2019, 2:03 p.m.

So Revelstoke Mountain Resort are opening a new bike park on July 26. And the gondola access does not go to the top of the trails....

In fact, if you want to ride their signature trail, you get out of the gondola (at 1700m above sea level!) and wheeze your way up another 7km & 518m of climbing (that's quite a bit more than climbing up Fromme to 7th from the car park).

Sure, you get a 15km descent (of 5620 feet, hence the trail name) but surely not building descending trails straight out of the gondola is a huge mistake?

I suspect their marketing department were driving this decision! Anyway, I guess they probably will open up more trails eventually (and more choice is good) but I'll skip a visit this year!

I should add that the resort will have e-bikes available for hire, not surprisingly.

Last edited by: SixZeroSixOne on July 17, 2019, 2:05 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 17, 2019, 7:19 p.m.

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

So Revelstoke Mountain Resort are opening a new bike park on July 26. And the gondola access does not go to the top of the trails....

In fact, if you want to ride their signature trail, you get out of the gondola (at 1700m above sea level!) and wheeze your way up another 7km & 518m of climbing (that's quite a bit more than climbing up Fromme to 7th from the car park).

Sure, you get a 15km descent (of 5620 feet, hence the trail name) but surely not building descending trails straight out of the gondola is a huge mistake?

I suspect their marketing department were driving this decision! Anyway, I guess they probably will open up more trails eventually (and more choice is good) but I'll skip a visit this year!

I should add that the resort will have e-bikes available for hire, not surprisingly.

Sounds like a blast. Love Revelstoke.

July 18, 2019, 11:30 a.m.

Depends what the quality of trail is like. If it's hand built singletrack for 15km/5620 feet then hell yeah I would pedal up with a gondola bump... and the quality of trail will remain high since it will dissuade people. If it's blue machine built flow the entire way... no thanks.

July 18, 2019, 6:30 p.m.

Come get the first taste of mountain biking at Revelstoke Mountain Resort with a top to bottom trail running our full 5,620ft vertical. We're thrilled to introduce the beginning of our mountain bike product with a top to bottom trail, Fifty Six Twenty and a multi-use cross country trail. Access to the downhill trail, Fifty Six Twenty is via the Revelation Gondola and a 7km climb on The Stoke Climb Trail taking most intermediate/advanced riders about 45-60 minutes. From the top, enjoy the view and let the downhill fun begin with 15 kilometres of machine-built blue flow running our full vertical - 1,713 metres, or 5,620 vertical feet.

July 18, 2019, 6:31 p.m.

Oh dear, Grambo, you (and I) will be very disappointed!

July 19, 2019, 11:26 a.m.

Hah. I mean it depends, B-Line or Insomnia at Whistler is something I could ride for 15km - steep/tight berms, fun little doubles and option lines. But something wide and flat like Earth Circus or Una Moss without the jumps and with wide long berms - no thanks.

July 21, 2019, 4:38 a.m.

Posted by: grambo

Hah. I mean it depends, B-Line or Insomnia at Whistler is something I could ride for 15km - steep/tight berms, fun little doubles and option lines. But something wide and flat like Earth Circus or Una Moss without the jumps and with wide long berms - no thanks.

never ride european flow trails then...

July 22, 2019, 10:46 p.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

Posted by: grambo

never ride european flow trails then...

Unless it's the Vink line at Chatel... who am I kidding no way I am stepping up to any of the doubles on that trail.

Here's 5620, actually looks pretty fun and well built with good tables, doubles and some sneaky lines and some tight berms. Worth a ride if one is in town and likes the flow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KKl5prxE7s