Metro Trail Update - October 2015

Oct. 14, 2015, 6:30 p.m.

In case others haven't seen it.
http://nsmba.ca/content/2015-10_metro-trail-update-october-2015

I'm over it
Dale’s: Trail work has gotten underway on Upper Dale’s which includes a re-alignment of a small bridge at the bottom of the new trail section and completion of machine work done early in the season.

Wonder what sort of upgrades we'll see
Cabin Trail: Through the fall, trail upgrades will be completed at the bottom end of Cabin Trail from the Mushroom Lot to the waterfall. This work will allow both machine access to the future crossing point and provide proper drainage. Options for a crossing will be investigated into the spring of 2016.

I'm having trouble picturing where this section is?
Baden Powell Trail (stairs and trail up to power lines): A Engineering consultant has been retained and is finalizing the design of the new stairs, and Metro are hoping to construct Fall/Winter. Trail upgrades from powerlines to top of stairs will commence on October 12th. It is anticipated to take 4 weeks to complete. Some of the switch backs will be lengthened; drainage issues addressed and tread surfacing for the majority of trail. It may not be possible for Metro to make the trail completely ridable uphill. Please note some short trail closures maybe necessary.

Nice:
Hyannis Trail and powerline to Ridge Runner: Completed- Drainage and tread surfacing issues have been completed on power line connector from Hyannis over Mystery Creek and down powerline route to Ridge Runner. It is hopeful that this will encourage people to ride up to Hyannis and down Bridle and not use Mystery Creek Trail.

Sounds Interesting:
Enquist Trail (Pinch Flat Alley): Metro staff will be upgrading the trail from Seymour Mountain Road up to bottom of CBC this fall. Work will involve replacement of collapsed drainage structures, ditching and re-surfacing. Metro will incorporate some features into one side of the trail to enhance rider experience.

Can these trails retain their old character and still be sustainable? They've been there a while which makes them pretty sustainable already?
CBC and Ned’s Metro will have a consultant conducting an environmental assessment this Fall on the current lines and surrounding areas. At the same time Metro will be completing safety assessments of all structures and features and mapping all braids and lines. Metro will be coordinating a walk through with NSMBA in October/November to gather input.

Oct. 14, 2015, 8:18 p.m.

I don't want to get into a debate about old/new Dales. I rode the trail for the first time since the work on the upper portion today. Really weird how it goes from fast and flow to knar. There really should be a sign saying the trail is not as it appears at the entrance. Does anyone one know if the plan is to continue to the powerline?

Master of Puppets

Oct. 14, 2015, 9:02 p.m.

I know change is inevitable, but please don't mess with Pinch Flat Alley!

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Oct. 14, 2015, 9:24 p.m.

I appreciate that they have released some detailed information on their short-term plans and appear to be cooperating with the NSMBA. This bulletin is a good step.

Oct. 14, 2015, 9:57 p.m.

I know change is inevitable, but please don't mess with Pinch Flat Alley!

Eh? Please tell me you are joking! There isn't a single redeeming feature of that trail, whether you're riding uphill or downhill…

(and I say that as a tech/gnar type of rider)

Oct. 14, 2015, 10:27 p.m.

I'm having trouble picturing where this section is?
Baden Powell Trail (stairs and trail up to power lines): A Engineering consultant has been retained and is finalizing the design of the new stairs, and Metro are hoping to construct Fall/Winter. Trail upgrades from powerlines to top of stairs will commence on October 12th. It is anticipated to take 4 weeks to complete. Some of the switch backs will be lengthened; drainage issues addressed and tread surfacing for the majority of trail. It may not be possible for Metro to make the trail completely ridable uphill. Please note some short trail closures maybe necessary.

My guess is that no one ever rides this section of the Baden Powell (which is why it is hard to guess where it is). I think this is the section of the Baden Powell above the exit of Asian Adonis up to the power lines.

Only in the last couple of years has it been worth it to even descend along the BP below Severed. Digger and Co fixed that section up to let BC Bike Racers access Forever After (avoiding the massive amount of carnage that would result in sending XC racers down Dales).

Oct. 15, 2015, 7:43 a.m.

It's the section between the top of Riverside Dr and Richard Juryn Trail that they are referring to.

Yup. Challenging section to work on. I believe Rare Earth ie Jeremy Powers will be on that

Oct. 15, 2015, 9:33 a.m.

Yup. Challenging section to work on. I believe Rare Earth ie Jeremy Powers will be on that

Yeah for sure, That's one steep section where the stairs are located.
Hopefully we will see a new bridge one day.

Has anyone ever noticed for a MTB trail location: Running one on the Southside of the fire road along the old rifle range fence line to Fishermans at Twin?

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Oct. 15, 2015, 9:34 a.m.

Eh? Please tell me you are joking! There isn't a single redeeming feature of that trail, whether you're riding uphill or downhill…

(and I say that as a tech/gnar type of rider)

I've grown to like it. The small drop and then the subsequent small gap jump taken one after another are fun. Close to the entrance to Cabin.

Oct. 15, 2015, 9:36 a.m.

It's the section between the top of Riverside Dr and Richard Juryn Trail that they are referring to.

Thanks.

Oct. 15, 2015, 10:07 a.m.

Has anyone ever noticed for a MTB trail location: Running one on the Southside of the fire road along the old rifle range fence line to Fishermans at Twin?

http://www.metrovancouver.org/trailconnections

http://www.metrovancouver.org/services/parks/ParksPublications/MAP-TrailClosuresPossibleNewConnections.pdf

Oct. 15, 2015, 10:25 a.m.

I've grown to like it. The small drop and then the subsequent small gap jump taken one after another are fun. Close to the entrance to Cabin.

Me too, I won't cry if/when it's gone but despite being essentially a creek-bed it was fun to try to ride down smoothly and always a challenge to clean it heading up from Mushroom parking lot, up over the little log drop at the end, then up to TNT/Cabin. To clean it from the road up to Cabin/TNT always felt good. Got the legs working the blood pumping.

Might seem strange, but I would prefer the current state of PFA (Enquist) to a smooth bed like trail like was done on BP from power lines down to Old Buck or Mushroom from power lines up to Neds.

Oct. 15, 2015, 12:18 p.m.

Me too, I won't cry if/when it's gone but despite being essentially a creek-bed it was fun to try to ride down smoothly and always a challenge to clean it heading up from Mushroom parking lot, up over the little log drop at the end, then up to TNT/Cabin. To clean it from the road up to Cabin/TNT always felt good. Got the legs working the blood pumping.

Might seem strange, but I would prefer the current state of PFA (Enquist) to a smooth bed like trail like was done on BP from power lines down to Old Buck or Mushroom from power lines up to Neds.

I'm curious what kind of structures they are talking about building on one side of the trail. If they put a couple decent sized jumps w/ long landings and a wood TTF in, that would be make it a fun ride especially on a DH bike. Probably wishful thinking given the language around structure assessment on CBC.

Oct. 15, 2015, 12:25 p.m.

I like it smooth on the way up and rough on the way down :)

Oct. 15, 2015, 12:25 p.m.

I'm curious what kind of structures they are talking about building on one side of the trail. If they put a couple decent sized jumps w/ long landings and a wood TTF in, that would be make it a fun ride especially on a DH bike. Probably wishful thinking given the language around structure assessment on CBC.

Probably benches so people can stop and rest.