Maintenance of Lord of the Squirrels & Into the Mystic

July 12, 2018, 2:06 p.m.

Just curious...

I see WORCA have a trail crew clearing snow and patching LOTS...

(a) does the crew hike in and out each day (if so, kudos for the effort involved!) or do they camp up there or do they use e-bikes or similar for access?

(b) what efforts are RMOW undertaking to clear/maintain Mystic?

(c) anything specific planned for On The Rocks and Happy Hour?

(I'd rather ride the loop than out and back and trying to gauge when they will all be good to go...)

July 12, 2018, 8:25 p.m.

Seems like LOTS has a pretty small riding window each year... probably not much more than 2 months of riding each year, no? Sounds like a really cool trail (I haven't ridden it yet) but a shame that you can only ride it for such a limited portion of the year as it would probably start getting snow at the top in October. Makes sense that they are putting in that "LESS" trail for a lower elevation loop.

July 13, 2018, 7:30 a.m.

snow is not being cleared, just melting out and moving the closure higher as it does and the trails dry out. Crew is just going up once a week to move closure and do maintenance on LOTS. 

Probably end of the month for opening, watch trail forks/worca website.

July 16, 2018, 9:01 a.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

a shame that you can only ride it for such a limited portion of the year 

C'mon global warming!

July 16, 2018, 2:34 p.m.

lots of alpine trails are only open for limited portions of the year.

July 16, 2018, 3:09 p.m.

What's LESS about? I see it popping up on some builders instagram... lower elevation descent off ITM?

July 16, 2018, 3:41 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

What's LESS about? I see it popping up on some builders instagram... lower elevation descent off ITM?

well, you could do LOTS, or LESS....Lower Elevation Short Squirrels, will result in a loop that's half the distance of the shortest alpine lap, goes from ~1400m on Mystic to just above 1200m on Squirrels. 1+ week or so until completion. The builder is Zander; Howler, LOTS crew, previous WORCA trail maint crew...he's a private contractor now.

Last edited by: FlipFantasia on July 16, 2018, 3:43 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 17, 2018, 1:48 p.m.

Posted by: FlipFantasia

well, you could do LOTS, or LESS....Lower Elevation Short Squirrels, will result in a loop that's half the distance of the shortest alpine lap, goes from ~1400m on Mystic to just above 1200m on Squirrels. 1+ week or so until completion. The builder is Zander; Howler, LOTS crew, previous WORCA trail maint crew...he's a private contractor now.

Hah, great acronym there... I do follow him on Instagram that's where I saw the Less hashtag. Great idea for a quick rip and a shorter experience to help newbies/tourists feel out whether they are actually up for the whole thing.

July 17, 2018, 3:02 p.m.

Posted by: FlipFantasia

Hah, great acronym there... I do follow him on Instagram that's where I saw the Less hashtag. Great idea for a quick rip and a shorter experience to help newbies/tourists feel out whether they are actually up for the whole thing.

yeah, we're hoping that the bail out option will allow a lot more people who are out of their element 'save face' and still get a bit of descent out of it. We were noticing way too many people who just wouldn't turn around when they should've, which means getting to the alpine spent, and then having no energy to hold on for the descent. Will also make for a way better early/late season when alpine is closed and we can get rid of up/down traffic situation we have now.

July 19, 2018, 6:11 p.m.

Mystic/Rocks/LOTS open as of tomorrow!