lower griffin

Dec. 30, 2010, 4:21 p.m.

Am I the only person who finds the bottom part of Lower Griffen, the part where you have to ride through a loose, narrow corridor (the remains of a fallen tree) with a really annoying root.

I've always thought that that part was just not really trail but just loose crud and it doesn't feel like there is a "line" through there.

Yes I've ridden it a bunch of times and yes I caught my handlebars on the tree today and hurt my thumb but - am I alone in not liking that specific section?

Dec. 30, 2010, 4:36 p.m.

no you're not the only person.

We actually took out a nasty rock there last month when we went in to clear some drains on the switchbacks.

Feel free to go in and fix it! Fill it in with rock and dirt.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Dec. 30, 2010, 4:39 p.m.

anyone care to volunteer to give me some help? i haven't done a whole lot of maintenance myself.

if no-one volunteers i'll head down there tomorrow and see what i can do.

is there a special time i should be doing this? marking off the trail?

Dec. 30, 2010, 8:11 p.m.

OK just let me know when you're available and we'll sort it out.

Dec. 30, 2010, 8:18 p.m.

i'd be willing to help on the weekend. either day works for me.

Dec. 31, 2010, 9:10 a.m.

alright how do we go about organising this for this weekend? like maybe sunday or even monday..

Jan. 1, 2011, 11:25 p.m.

ya and rock bitch?

maybe we can plan this for next weekend? looks like during the week the rain will come back and heat things up.

Jan. 1, 2011, 11:57 p.m.

Do you need any cedar for the work? Unfortunately, there's not a lot in the area of lower griffin. I know a couple of sources that can generate some rungs, but stringers will be more difficult.

I was out on a wander today and ran across a big cedar (about 24 inch diamter) that has recently come down, not far from the bottom of NH. This could be used for rungs or stringers, but you would need a chainsaw. Let me know if you need any details.

Do you still need buckets?

Rob; you got any buckets left in the usual places?

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

Jan. 2, 2011, 8:37 a.m.

vegas: do you still need that PM? i'm still good to help whenever.

are one of you the dude who did a bunch of work on imonator recently?

will PM at request.. i work 9-5 but can probably swing a few hours after work in the dark if that helps.

otherwise weekends.

Jan. 2, 2011, 11:21 p.m.

There are some nice 8ft long 4x6s tucked in behind the storage container at the exit of Bobsled and a few more scattered around on Bobsled and elsewhere. The DNV should be fine with you using them as long as the work is done well. Those 4x6s make great stringers, and you can even use them to make footings if necessary. There is very little cedar around that area, I have scoured it VERY thoroughly last year, so unless something new has come down the better bet would be to hike in those 4x6s for stringers and use sourced wood for the rungs and maybe even the footings~~

Just my two cents

Jan. 4, 2011, 7:15 p.m.

The DNV should be fine with you using them

And how do you know that?

If it's more then patching up the trail (which seems like it in this case), you guys should contact the NSMBA before doing any work and make sure it's ok with them first!

didnt know nsmb was only for pros

its not, its only for dicks.

My Flickr

Jan. 4, 2011, 7:16 p.m.

OK who will get in touch with the NSMBA.. sounds like a good idea in this case.

Jan. 4, 2011, 10:25 p.m.

I meant no offense about using the posts, James. Graham was more than obliging about providing cedar 3x6s to do work on Griffen and KOTS. It would only seem logical that he would be happy to allow the use of the leftover 4x6s, however I'm sure that someone will check with the NSMBA and DNV before going ahead with the work.

Jan. 5, 2011, 12:31 p.m.

OK who will get in touch with the NSMBA.. sounds like a good idea in this case.

I meant no offense about using the posts, James. Graham was more than obliging about providing cedar 3x6s to do work on Griffen and KOTS. It would only seem logical that he would be happy to allow the use of the leftover 4x6s, however since Vegas is bonafide NSMBA I'm sure that he would check with the DNV before using them ;)

t3hw4h; it is in hand and I'm sure Vagas will be in touch with more details via PM.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.