Impact of Bobsled Closure

Dec. 17, 2013, 2:22 p.m.

Having not ridden in almost 2.5 months, I cruise (well pant, heave and vomit) my way up to Bobsled to find it closed. Fair enough, probably needs work with all the frost heave and rain, and convince the others to honour the closure. So we roll back down to Floppy Bunny but man on man I wish we had not. Bottom half of the trail was so soft and chewed up we decided to walk much of it.

Any idea how long Bobsled will be closed? Looking at Mark and Matts proposed work plan, it could be for quite some time.

http://nsmba.ca/documents/Bobsled%20Restorative%20Plan%20-%20Final%20Draft%20Public.pdf

The closure will probably result in a lot more traffic going down Floppy and bugger up all the recent hard work that Pat et. al. have put in.

Just wondering if the old line should be reinstated during the winter to help protect the gold line (spread the load and it was down to hard pan already, most places) and/or put some signage up requesting riders to kindly consider riding other move winter proof trails, with useful suggestions?

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

Dec. 17, 2013, 8:13 p.m.

It a shame to see all this work being shredded up. I'd hate to see seasonal trails closures but with the amount of traffic, maybe its time.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

Dec. 17, 2013, 8:58 p.m.

the traffic on floppy and espresso is up considerably with the closure of bobsled….

Dec. 17, 2013, 11:01 p.m.

Oh yeah - by the way - its winter - if the trail looks like it should t be ridden - dont. -just because mtbiking is so tailored now doesnt mean its not seasonal - Christ- the snow line should be below the start of any of the trails mentioned on fromme in a average winter . This is why we used to go to the endowment lands in the winter - or skiing/ snowboarding!!

Dec. 17, 2013, 11:04 p.m.

I was under the impression they had Bobsled closed as they were widening the bridges as part of the "All Access" project: http://nsmba.ca/content/2013-12_all-access-trail-begins

flickr

Dec. 17, 2013, 11:40 p.m.

Pat and Digger are hoping to have the closed sign down by the end of Friday or early next week on Bobsled.

Podo is also going to go look at Floppy.

If looking for something else to ride you can access Crinkum Krankum at the 3rd switchback and it's a fun ride.

Or go for a hike and make sure drains on your favourite trails are clear for winter rains.

Dec. 18, 2013, 12:32 a.m.

Can someone tell me the impact, Im on the edge of my seat.

diggin

Dec. 18, 2013, 4:18 p.m.

The 4 inch layer of frost we had then the quick warming then rain created a tiny bit of peanut butter in a few spots, also the guy who built a side line off of it clogged my drains, but still I wasn't seeing major impact. The only time we had Bobsled shut down was when we had features taken apart which was only a few days, it's now fully open again. The Floppy re route is still young, with time and more maintenance it will be bomber for years to come, no need for panic or to walk your bikes no need to abandon ship just yet, it will be back to normal in no time.

Dec. 18, 2013, 5:18 p.m.

It's just dirt…

Dec. 18, 2013, 6:26 p.m.

I rode the Rice Lake Road. let's see THAT get eroded. what a rush!

Dec. 18, 2013, 6:27 p.m.

The 4 inch layer of frost we had then the quick warming then rain created a tiny bit of peanut butter in a few spots, also the guy who built a side line off of it clogged my drains, but still I wasn't seeing major impact. The only time we had Bobsled shut down was when we had features taken apart which was only a few days, it's now fully open again. The Floppy re route is still young, with time and more maintenance it will be bomber for years to come, no need for panic or to walk your bikes no need to abandon ship just yet, it will be back to normal in no time.

Good to know. I probably saw it at it's worst and thought Bobsled was going to be closed longer. Nothing to see here, so please carry on!

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

Dec. 18, 2013, 8:28 p.m.

Impact?

Fewer people pushing bikes up the road?