i feel stoopid-er

Feb. 24, 2011, 8:56 p.m.

been a month and change since a rode bridle path. Let me make this PERFECTLY clear. I applaud all those who take time from their lives to help maintain our trails. now… WTF happened to the log ride? that's auto pilot stuff now. saddened

Is it counter productive to ride on my exercise bike with a cocktail in hand?

Feb. 24, 2011, 9:49 p.m.

Sorry man, that was done to improve the safety of the far end of the log that had all the wobbly rungs.

I know people liked it the way it was, but it really wasn't built to an acceptable standard for the landowner. It is easier now, but then again Bridle Path is an intermediate trail and it would be nice to see more riders able to give the log ride a shot. Now that it's been tweaked at both ends, I have seen far more beginner/intermediate riders having a go at it which to me makes it a successful change :)

I'm always open to hearing how others feel about it however as feedback will only help to make the work better.

Feb. 24, 2011, 10:20 p.m.

really? Not challenged by the bridle path? Try a thousand miles of other trails on the shore that are more difficult.

Great work Matt. Keep it up.

Feb. 24, 2011, 11:12 p.m.

heckler…….really, a shot from behind the keyboard? nuff said.

Matt, agreed there were issues with the line, but i felt the line was one of the only "advanced" lines on the Bridle. As such, it kept beginners off it and therefore kept them "safe" and challenged intermediates. It still does have ramifications and as such the addition of beginers to this could be good,could be bad. The bridle is an "intermediate" trail but i see nothing wrong with including features that both encourage and challenge riders to "move up" the ladder of ability. This is one of the primary reasons a great many of us ride,to improve. That said beginners can now "move up", but what of the intermediates that wish to do the same".The bridle has improved year upon year thanks to you and others work. I appreciate both the efforts of those people and your answer to my somewhat crudely stated question.

Feb. 24, 2011, 11:27 p.m.

Yeah, I hear ya on the consequence thing… We are going to re-install the easy out to let people get off it while it's still low to the ground. I know what you mean about giving progression options, and the decision to rework the log bridge was debated for a long time before it was done. Some progression features are in the plans for that area to address the issue that you raised, but Bridle Path is one of the most challenging trails to work on because of the wide range of people that use it. Every time you do anything on that trail you are bound to displease at least a few people.

To be honest, I've been quite turned off from working on that trail for a long time just simply because of the unpleasant actions/comments of a few select individuals.

The plan for now would be to make the optional woodwork flow better and faster so that less skilled riders will use it more and then to add in some more interesting options. The guy I'm working with helped build Sprock Kids on the SSC and he is full of all kinds of cool ideas for progression features.

Feb. 25, 2011, 10:15 a.m.

Great work on the trail!!

Log ride gone - if it is the one i am thinking of that is too bad, there was a go around for people…one will never please everyone unfortunately but i was really liking it how bridal had the easy line and the alternative line…..keeps the progression happening.

Feb. 25, 2011, 10:19 a.m.

bridle path is a fantastic all-year-round technical xc trail. i've been riding it regularly since the fall, noticed and totally appreciated the maintenance and updates that have been happening. props!

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Feb. 25, 2011, 11:20 a.m.

i feel your pain in some respects matt. there are always people who will complain about the "dumbing down" of certain trails.I'm not one of those who generally complains about the dumbing down as there is ussually a valid reason.Once again this was the case.The "dumbing down" of trails on the Shore is a hot button issue for sure. In many respects it is needed. If you can't engage new riders the sport dies. It's that fine balance we continue to work towards and it means not only balancing riders needs but ,as in this case, the needs of the land owners. Bridle is really the only xc trail on seymour. i should say that it is the main one. all rides on seymour that are xc based will include some portion of that trail. So too make it accessible to as many as possible will incur flack from others. For the record, having been riding that trail or portions of it for near 20 years, it's better than it's ever been. I'm glad to hear that the inclusion of newer more difficult lines is being entertained. Thanks for all the great work once again. Hope i didn't contribute to your being "turned off". never my intention.
weev

Feb. 25, 2011, 1:10 p.m.

To be honest, I've been quite turned off from working on that trail for a long time just simply because of the unpleasant actions/comments of a few select individuals.

when I start to feel that way, kinda unappreciated, I think of builders like you who put in way more time than me and it stokes me to keep going. Big up yourself!

Props to Heckler too because the Shore would be where it is today without guys like him. I've been thinking about that too while I work.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Feb. 25, 2011, 2:31 p.m.

Matt, it sucks to hear that people are getting down on you regarding the work you are doing on that trail (not pointed at theweev because I don't think that was his intention). The North Shore is full of technical trails with many technical features. What it does not have is many cross country intermediate trails. You have done a great job of building a trail that adds this element to North Shore riding. Bridal Path does not need to be a technically difficult trail to be enjoyable. Keep up the good work, I look forward to riding Bridal Path everytime I get over there.

It's all about fun.

My Blog

March 7, 2011, 7:17 p.m.

You can't make everyone happy, it's really difficult to stay stoked when the harshest of critics don't ever pick up a shovel or move a single rock. Thanks for your work Matt. I may not live near you, not even close but I know what your talking about, so from one to another a once again very big THANK YOU.

March 8, 2011, 3:17 p.m.

I too have been riding Bridal for 20 years. Soon after moving to Canada I even moved to Hyannis Drive for a couple of years to have access to the Mountain via Bridal. I can also say that it has never been so good. I've passed Matt toiling away (never knew his name) on a number of occasions, and have always offered both thanks and help. Once he actually let me help roll a big rock that was too much for even him! Usually he just cheerfully waves me away.

Just wanted to say a big thanks to Matt and all the other trail fairies. And I will always support Matt's judgement on what is best for this trail.

March 8, 2011, 9:08 p.m.

I too appreciate all the work done by, well, whoever does all that work!

At the same time, I am a bit concerned about the dumbing down I see all over the shore. I am thinking of the log ride, and one spot on floppy bunny, and various spots on Baden Powell on Fromme. Little pieces here and there that I couldn't initially ride but eventually built up the balls/familiarity/skills to master them. Kinda sucks to see those disappear, it removes the chance to reinforce progress made and the feeling of satisfaction of clearing things that once shut me down.

But then I can think of a lot of dumbing-up that has been done, like all the elevated stuff on Pipeline - I will probably never even attempt them, beyond the walk-overs I've done. Nice work though.

We need to be careful about having all the intermediate stuff being either rounded down, or rounded up - leaving a big bland swath in the middle. For the old dudes like me who aren't looking for big air but are looking for challenges - the "north shore cross country" set.

But as long as that is kept in mind, I am seeing lots of nice work on the Shore, and even if I don't like the specific changes (it is pretty amazing how we can remember each rock, root, and log on these trails!), the effort and goals are good. Thanks Matt!

March 8, 2011, 9:31 p.m.

All hail the hard-working numen that keep the trails rideable. The Shore would not be what is is today without their magnanimous dedication to the trails.

The log is now much more in harmony with the intermediate nature of Bridle Path. Good call, Matt.

March 9, 2011, 8:28 a.m.

I've also been a Bridle Path regular since I started riding about 6 years ago. And want to add another shout out to Matt - thanks for all the work you have put into it! I personally enjoy the changes I've seen, and don't view them as a "dumbing down" the trail, but more as a "improving the flow" of the trail.

Given how many times I've ridden the trail, I feel like an idiot asking this, but where is this (former) log ride?? I can't picture it and it's driving me nuts! (yeah, yeah - get out for a ride and check it out for myself :P)

I'm not a huge fan of elevated stunts so I may just ride past it without even noticing it.

"I'm not an ambi-turner. I can't turn left."