How to make rungs for ladder bridges

Nov. 17, 2007, 5:14 a.m.

Maple or oak. They stain quite nicely.

geeeeeee thanks… But should I use the cedar colored stain so all us east coasters think we're out on the west??? :eek:

Nov. 17, 2007, 7:40 a.m.

We do not have maple, but oak, although I'd rather go with fir or pine ?!

Have uploaded some spying pics of suitable terrain this moment and am gonna post 'em soon.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Nov. 17, 2007, 2:01 p.m.

geeeeeee thanks… But should I use the cedar colored stain so all us east coasters think we're out on the west??? :eek:

Most definitely. But it should be red cedar, and not yellow.

If you don't have the "perfect" wood, use one that has the most resistance to rot. For rungs, straight grain and little knots helps. If the wood doesn't hold up well, just make the rungs thicker.

In other words some pines or firs would probably work. Find out what wood in your area is used for exterior siding as that would probably work well.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 18, 2007, 10:30 a.m.

Most definitely. But it should be red cedar, and not yellow.

If you don't have the "perfect" wood, use one that has the most resistance to rot. For rungs, straight grain and little knots helps. If the wood doesn't hold up well, just make the rungs thicker.

In other words some pines or firs would probably work. Find out what wood in your area is used for exterior siding as that would probably work well.

Thanx :D Much appreciated feedback..:)

- Kristen Ulmer

Dec. 21, 2007, 6:49 p.m.

I should have checked this thread sooner, the info is great and a big help.
THANKS syncro!!!:rave:

Starting this account from scratch. Havnt been on in 10 years. 

135 foot double table pic

Feb. 20, 2008, 10:42 a.m.

I love coming on here to check out the whole Shore building scene, and checking out stuff like this. Soooo different to the UK.

I'm hopefully doing an article on differences between building in the UK and Canada. I'll post a link when its done.

Synchro: thanks for all the info, love your work, truly inspirational :)

Feb. 20, 2008, 11:08 a.m.

^ Post the article please :)

- Kristen Ulmer

Feb. 21, 2008, 9:50 a.m.

I will when its done. I'm in contact with the FVMBA, waiting for them to come back to me :)

Feb. 21, 2008, 11:04 a.m.

highoctane,

you can probably learn a lot about the shore building scene here

Check out the trail day write ups linked to each location.

If you want to use any of the photos, please ask permission to use it. We'll just ask that you give a photo credit.

April 20, 2008, 8:30 a.m.

Today I took my shot at making rungs. Material is very likely to be fir (which I do not know), and I expect it to be not that slippery - not as grippy as cedar, but hey, gotta use what is there, right?

My hiking boot's sole does not slip if they are really wet. I hope it works for tires as well. :)

This is the outer layer split off from the stump.

Now I only have to find some more stumps, split them up, find two suitable logs and nails long enough…and I am ready to go. :)

Thanx for the input Synchro and all the others. :woot:
Will keep you updated on my progress. :)

- Kristen Ulmer

April 20, 2008, 12:34 p.m.

make them wider. and id reckon you could split them a little skinnier than that

April 20, 2008, 1:24 p.m.

awesome Mic! looks like they split clean

April 21, 2008, 6:17 a.m.

make them wider. and id reckon you could split them a little skinnier than that

The forests here are mainly planted for harvesting, which essentially boils down to a) No real deadfall (at least in my area), but rather "clean and neat" looking. Fallen trees are often cut up into meter pieces; b) the stump I used and the ones I will be using are of a size I do not have any influence on - these stumps are left to rot - and there are not many that much bigger.

I will split them skinnier. But on site, not in my backyard. :)

- Kristen Ulmer

April 29, 2008, 11:01 a.m.

I'm writing for contacts advice I suppose. The short story is that I've booked a flight to Vancouver at the start of june and will be heading out to whistler for the whole month. The rest i'm winging it at the mo, but want to get involved with a trail/shore building crew whilst i'm out there. I build at home and just love a good build session and then to ride it when all is done. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it. Ta very much.

Alex.

April 29, 2008, 11:04 a.m.

NSBMA trail day dates

check the www.nsmba.bc.ca homepage for meeting place details about a week before the trail day.

See you then Alex!