holding races on sensitive trails

Sept. 23, 2013, 7:58 p.m.

not all trails are equal, some are more prone to damage during the wet season due to the loam factor, drainage, etc, etc.

here in the Comox Valley, we have a particularly well loved and extremely fun trail known as Thirsty Beaver (upper and lower). it's one of these trails that can get trashed readily by overuse especially if wet. the builders actually requested that people avoid it in a posting during the first winter.

the recent adventure race MOMAR just sent some massive amt of riders through there last weekend during the mtn bike leg.

i wish race organizers would think of these things and avoid these trails, especially given the time of year and likelihood of wet trails. have some respect for the builders and locals.

Sept. 23, 2013, 8:31 p.m.

…i wish race organizers would think of these things and avoid these trails, especially given the time of year and likelihood of wet trails. have some respect for the builders and locals.

most organizers aren't that ignorant. most care about trails, and get permission to use sensitive ones.
give them some direct feedback. what are you hoping to happen here?

Sept. 23, 2013, 9:18 p.m.

… what are you hoping to happen here?

Sept. 24, 2013, 1:07 a.m.

not all trails are equal, some are more prone to damage during the wet season due to the loam factor, drainage, etc, etc.

…..have some respect for the builders and locals.

September on the Island isn't considered the wet season. You can't always luck out and have your race land on the tail end of a two week high pressure system. Maybe TB is not the best option (it's a mess in sections even after a dry spell), but it was a showcase.

There is as lot of respect for the locals from MoMAR, and a certain amount of money goes back to Cumberland Community forest, Search and Rescue, And other local charities. It's also supported by a ton of local volunteers and businesses, hey, even Riding Fool!

There were a couple hundred shredders there on the 15th for the Enduro, how did teapot fair? It can be soft in sections as well.

Sept. 24, 2013, 1:33 p.m.

they may have made a good donation to the trail fund. RedBull did so when they ran that run-bike-paddle race down Bitchecutioner.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Sept. 25, 2013, 12:07 a.m.

they may have made a good donation to the trail fund. RedBull did so when they ran that run-bike-paddle race down Bitchecutioner.

I think they do. It's been one of the biggest events in the area for years (12-13 I think), long before BCBR came through. Like BCBR it's a solid economic boost to the town.

Has a point though, there are trails that can handle traffic better, but are there many trails that can cater to absolute noobs, at least higher up the mtn?

Sept. 27, 2013, 12:40 p.m.

I think you need to speak with the Landowners about this. Assuming you have a dialog going with them where this trail is located. The Landowner is the one who gave permission for them to race there and it is the Landowner that can demand that event organizers consult with trail organization about usage to get those permits. I think if you can politely get the landowner on board with the concept that event organizers need to pony up some sort of usage fee for future events then you have the best case scenario. A trail day organized by the local trail organization before and after the event seems like an easy sell that the Landowners and the generally cash poor event organizers would get on board with. Good Luck with future events.

Sept. 27, 2013, 3:07 p.m.

Landowners are private forest companies. Not thinking they're too worried about a bit of traffic on the trails.

The River Rats are very much aware of the MOMAR, and overall the trails managed well. 4 years out of 5 the weather is stellar in Sept.

The Enduro also garnered funds for UROC and the CCFS to continue their good work.

Events put mountain biking in the vision of local government which will help future land access.

The newest trails were mostly used for trekking phases as to help limit the impact on the fresh routes.

Play : Comox Valley Mountain Biking - www.cvmtb.com